Interest in Russell Okung

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Anyone remember how that late career Orlando Pace signing went?
Pace was awful at football by that point. That might be peters but it most certainly isn't okung. Okung might be injured often but he can absolutely still play at a high level

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Leno may have just pissed them off with poor offseason work and lack of sustained effort in games.
People bring up PFF in regards to leno but:
Charles Leno in 2020 Weeks 1-9: 48th ranked OT (66.0 overall grade) Weeks 10-17: 9th ranked OT (81.2 overall grade) 30 of his 43 pressures allowed last season came in the first 9 games.

His play more represents the 1st 1/2 of the year stat. We just became easier to attack elsewhere due to injuries and Leno got more help from Kmet and play calls. He sucked all year but was in better condition in the 2nd 1/2.

Basically, Jenkins could completely suck for for 4 games and be meh the rest of the year and we'd be no worse off than Leno who would just be getting into shape around that time since he'd at least have a preseason this year.

Last edited:

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leno may have just pissed them off with poor offseason work and lack of lack of sustained effort in games.
People bring up PFF in regards to leno but:
Charles Leno in 2020 Weeks 1-9: 48th ranked OT (66.0 overall grade) Weeks 10-17: 9th ranked OT (81.2 overall grade) 30 of his 43 pressures allowed last season came in the first 9 games.

His play more represents the 1st 1/2 of the year stat. We just became easier to attack elsewhere due to injuries and Leno got more help from Kmet and play calls. He sucked all year but was in better condition in the 2nd 1/2.

Basically, Jenkins could completely suck for for 4 games and be meh the rest of the year and we'd be no worse off than Leno who would just be getting into shape around that time since he'd at least have a preseason this year.

And the run game will be greatly improved.

Leno was due $11.3mil
Cutting him saved $6.2mil

He was probably not going to start, yet some sound like you were willing to pay him $11.3mil to sit on the bench, or only play a few games over top of a guy who is guaranteed to start and gave the Bears 8TDs last year from the Tight End position... even in a sh!tshow of an offensive. Plus, he's a positive mentor for a Cole Kmet. As much as I don't care for Graham, the guy was 1 of the best at his position during his prime. You could never say that about Charles. Plus, do you really want Charles Leno teaching a rookie how to fall down and wiff on blocks? lol
Ifedi is due $4.25mil this year and he might not start the whole season either. There's no way the Bears (in a cap starved year) could afford to pay $15.55mil to possibly 2 backup swing tackles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And the run game will be greatly improved.

Leno was due $11.3mil
Cutting him saved $6.2mil

He was probably not going to start, yet some sound like you were willing to pay him $11.3mil to sit on the bench, or only play a few games over top of a guy who is guaranteed to start and gave the Bears 8TDs last year from the Tight End position... even in a sh!tshow of an offensive. Plus, he's a positive mentor for a Cole Kmet. As much as I don't care for Graham, the guy was 1 of the best at his position during his prime. You could never say that about Charles. Plus, do you really want Charles Leno teaching a rookie how to fall down and wiff on blocks? lol
Ifedi is due $4.25mil this year and he might not start the whole season either. There's no way the Bears (in a cap starved year) could afford to pay $15.55mil to possibly 2 backup swing tackles.
I liked the Borom pick and suspect he's an eventual starter but a year of strength work is probably not a bad idea.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
"Kicking the tires" with Russell Okung is just due diligence. The Bears have a pretty good idea what they have with Jenkins. It is the depth behind him they need to improve.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
"Kicking the tires" with Russell Okung is just due diligence. The Bears have a pretty good idea what they have with Jenkins. It is the depth behind him they need to improve.
If Okung were signed he would be starting at LT if healthy

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get the appeal of signing Okung at the right price—not sure that's a reality.

He could be a stop gap at LT to start the season that gives us time to develop Jenkins, but I don't think signing older players as a trend is what we should be doing right now.

The roster needs to get younger. We need to fill key positions for the long term.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I do wonder if okung might be willing to sit a year to get fully healthy and wait for a better FA market. At his age that would definitely be a risk though as he might just fade out of the league

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We have to sign a veteran for each rookie that’s the only way they will learn! Might as well fire all these position coaches cause that’s not how they learn ?‍♂️

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
We have to sign a veteran for each rookie that’s the only way they will learn! Might as well fire all these position coaches cause that’s not how they learn ?‍♂️
I think the idea is to try to have more than 1 guy that can play each position on the roster. Or at least 1 guy that has played the position at the pro level.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think the idea is to try to have more than 1 guy that can play each position on the roster. Or at least 1 guy that has played the position at the pro level.
That’s a luxury that only teams that haven’t mismanaged their picks and cap space can afford. They should be looking at cheaper options for a swing tackle and finally commit to developing players

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That’s a luxury that only teams that haven’t mismanaged their picks and cap space can afford. They should be looking at cheaper options for a swing tackle and finally commit to developing players
They just drafted Ifedi's 2022 replacement in Borom (22). Only Whitehair will be over 25 next year. Mustifer is 24, Jenkins 23 and Daniels-23. I don't know how you can look at the rest of the OL roster with Bars, Borom, Eiselen and Hambright and say they aren't trying to develop OL. Developing players is not hampered by lack of cap space.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They just drafted Ifedi's 2022 replacement in Borom (22). Only Whitehair will be over 25 next year. Mustifer is 24, Jenkins 23 and Daniels-23. I don't know how you can look at the rest of the OL roster with Bars, Borom, Eiselen and Hambright and say they aren't trying to develop OL. Developing players is not hampered by lack of cap space.
They flood the roster with garbage ass vets and it takes a miracle to get the youth on the field to develop. You know how many injuries it took to that oline to get bums like coward off the field?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Coward was still in development and an obvious fail. Got exactly 5 replacement starts last year. It's why he's gone.

They just got rid of the oldest vets in Leno and Masse to try and play those younger developmental players. Ifedi is on a 1 year with Borom waiting in the wings. They are doing exactly what you want them too but you still can't let go.