Interesting tidbit from WSCR this morning on Veteran Support for Andy Dalton - explains a few things....

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, apparently there's something out in the rumor mill now that came out this morning on the Score (During the pick six segment around 6am, and reiterated with Brad Biggs around 7am).

Apparently, a lot of the older veterans want to take what they feel is their last shot at doing anything with a stable veteran (Dalton), than an unknown rookie. Our team is the oldest in the league, and apparently many of those guys are either on one year or the last year of their contract.

[Sources for the trolls:
]

[EDIT - since some people on the forums are functionally brain dead, the following paragraphs are now the portion of the post that are MY OPINION. ]

So all the weird hoops and circles Nagy has been jumping through lately to explain why Fields isn't starting is because he is trying to hold together a locker room divided by age - the younger guys for the most part all support Fields.

To me, this gives an extra layer to that story of Fields giving Jimmy Graham crap (and Nagy acting like he loved it shows what side he's on), and also explains why they are so bent on Dalton starting the season (so that when he fails, they can get buy in from the veterans).

It also explains why Fields was so vocal about fans booing Andy (I bet he doesn't care personally, but is trying to win over the veterans of the locker room, or at least not start a mutiny when he does take over).

That's what came to mind when I heard that. Now as to why those vets don't want the better player to play? I don't know. But I do know from hearing enough NFL players talk on the radio, the older guys sometimes have a grudge against the hot new rookie - even talented ones - even if it is totally irrational. Depends on the makeup of the team and those vets, but it seems like we got a lot of crusty vets here.

It also tells me next year is going to likely go full youth movement.

And......

That Nagy's job is probably safe this year, barring a Trestmanesqe meltdown...

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If these vets are too fucking stupid to see that Andy Dalton is nothing but a bum at this point in his career, then fuck them.

I feel bad for Fields, he came into this exact situation at Georgia and that team kept a fucking bum at QB over him as well.

greg23

Liked Posts:
It's bad enough that big dick nick is holding the franchise hostage; now all the vets are holding the franchise hostage?

I don't buy it.

Unless Dalton has been clearly better; the vets have no history or loyalty to him. If they really want to win and its clear who the better qb is I'm sure they'd be on board with whomever that is vs automatically supporting the older guy.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that over the course of the year, Fields is the best bet.

Thinking this through though, one thing players HATE is getting booed. Dalton will almost certainly be booed hard. I don't see that giving the players patience. The locker room, if that's where it's at right now, will flip by week 3.

mecha

Liked Posts:
hey guys, another offensive-minded head coach has driven the team to mutiny again.

it's fucking Trestman all over again. #calledit for the ages

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now as to why those vets don't want the better player to play? I don't know

Pure speculation on my part, but.....

Most of the real seasoned vets on this team play defense, so it's probably less about Vets vs Youth and more like 2021 is the last shot the Bears have winning any thing on their back. You can start shedding a lot of these guys next year with minimal cap impact and the assumption is that you will be building the team around the young QB going forward.

I could see defensive players wanting a more experienced player under center that will, theoretically, move the chains, control the clock and turnover the ball far less...putting the defense in better position to carry the Bears to victory.

I think it's the same terrible blueprint that has kept the Super Bowl trophy case at Halas Hall dry in the 21st century, but Bears gonna Bears.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is nonsense. Reminds me of hals take when he claimed deshaun Watson framed himself of sexually assaulting 24 women to get out of Houston. Hot take Hal over here

You sure love to shoot the messenger, don't you?

I gave the times so that anyone who cared enough to do so could pull up the podcast from those times and see I wasn't making this out of whole cloth.

And we're on a message board - EVERYONE has a "hot take" here - its kind of the point of a messageboard.

Do you even internet, bro? :p

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
if other beat guys begin to report similar developments ill lend it more credibility, but right now seems like Biggs is on his own with this one.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Most of the real seasoned vets on this team play defense, so it's probably less about Vets vs Youth and more like 2021 is the last shot the Bears have winning any thing on their back. You can start shedding a lot of these guys next year with minimal cap impact and the assumption is that you will be building the team around the young QB going forward.

I could see defensive players wanting a more experienced player under center that will, theoretically, move the chains, control the clock and turnover the ball far less...putting the defense in better position to carry the Bears to victory.

I think it's the same terrible blueprint that has kept the Super Bowl trophy case at Halas Hall dry in the 21st century, but Bears gonna Bears.

I think that's exactly it.

But I think Nagy and Pace don't want that, yet for some reason feel they "owe" it to the vets.

Especially Pace - coming from New Orleans, and you have Hicks and Graham with likely their last year on the roster...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
if other beat guys begin to report similar developments ill lend it more credibility, but right now seems like Biggs is on his own with this one.
It actually started in the session before Biggs came on, and then Biggs was asked about it in the next segment.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hicks is really the only name that matters much at this point that will be shed for age. Danny T, Quinn, Gipson, are all easily replaceable. I don't see them moving Mack, but maybe that's just me.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think it goes back more to Dalton looked better early from the accounts of several beat writers. Fields had the 1-2 wow throws every day, but Dalton had the consistency and smoother execution of the offense early. Then, at least in practice, he did not play bad enough to lose the job. So, the team is supporting the veteran to start the season.

I think everyone, hell maybe even Dalton, knows that Fields will take over at some point.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So, apparently there's something out in the rumor mill now that came out this morning on the Score (During the pick six segment around 6am, and reiterated with Brad Biggs around 7am).

Apparently, a lot of the older veterans want to take what they feel is their last shot at doing anything with a stable veteran (Dalton), than an unknown rookie. Our team is the oldest in the league, and apparently many of those guys are either on one year or the last year of their contract.

So all the weird hoops and circles Nagy has been jumping through lately to explain why Fields isn't starting is because he is trying to hold together a locker room divided by age - the younger guys for the most part all support Fields.

To me, this gives an extra layer to that story of Fields giving Jimmy Graham crap (and Nagy acting like he loved it shows what side he's on), and also explains why they are so bent on Dalton starting the season (so that when he fails, they can get buy in from the veterans).

It also explains why Fields was so vocal about fans booing Andy (I bet he doesn't care personally, but is trying to win over the veterans of the locker room, or at least not start a mutiny when he does take over).

That's what came to mind when I heard that. Now as to why those vets don't want the better player to play? I don't know. But I do know from hearing enough NFL players talk on the radio, the older guys sometimes have a grudge against the hot new rookie - even talented ones - even if it is totally irrational. Depends on the makeup of the team and those vets, but it seems like we got a lot of crusty vets here.

It also tells me next year is going to likely go full youth movement.

And......

That Nagy's job is probably safe this year, barring a Trestmanesqe meltdown...
You need to re-listen to that interview. Biggs was asked about this and used words like: potentially, I would imagine, maybe. This was complete speculation on his part after being asked about it. He wasn't reporting anything as news.