Interesting tidbit from WSCR this morning on Veteran Support for Andy Dalton - explains a few things....

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The similarities between the Smith/Mahomes year and the Dalton/Fields year starts and stops at the fact that Smith and Dalton are vet QB's and Mahomes and Fields being rookies.

Dalton isn't as good or accomplished or mobile as Smith was.
Mahomes wasn't as NFL ready or accomplished.
Nagy is as far from Andy Reid as is humanly possible at representing what an NFL HC should be.

They might as well have said in January, we are seeking QB ________X_________and he will be promised the starting job as we plan to draft QB ____________y_________ and he will be sitting until QB ___________x________ is injured or we feel too much pressure to continue our predetemined fact irrelevant plan.

Last edited:

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
So, apparently there's something out in the rumor mill now that came out this morning on the Score (During the pick six segment around 6am, and reiterated with Brad Biggs around 7am).

Apparently, a lot of the older veterans want to take what they feel is their last shot at doing anything with a stable veteran (Dalton), than an unknown rookie. Our team is the oldest in the league, and apparently many of those guys are either on one year or the last year of their contract.

So all the weird hoops and circles Nagy has been jumping through lately to explain why Fields isn't starting is because he is trying to hold together a locker room divided by age - the younger guys for the most part all support Fields.

To me, this gives an extra layer to that story of Fields giving Jimmy Graham crap (and Nagy acting like he loved it shows what side he's on), and also explains why they are so bent on Dalton starting the season (so that when he fails, they can get buy in from the veterans).

It also explains why Fields was so vocal about fans booing Andy (I bet he doesn't care personally, but is trying to win over the veterans of the locker room, or at least not start a mutiny when he does take over).

That's what came to mind when I heard that. Now as to why those vets don't want the better player to play? I don't know. But I do know from hearing enough NFL players talk on the radio, the older guys sometimes have a grudge against the hot new rookie - even talented ones - even if it is totally irrational. Depends on the makeup of the team and those vets, but it seems like we got a lot of crusty vets here.

It also tells me next year is going to likely go full youth movement.

And......

That Nagy's job is probably safe this year, barring a Trestmanesqe meltdown...
The Trestmanesque meltdown is a real possibility. All Nagy has to do is play the players who give the Bears the best chance to win each game. If the season is lost after 13 games, then play your young players you want to evaluate or get game experience. I think that is pretty straight forward.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Trestman would sacrifice his defense for offense. Nagy doesn’t do that.

I’ll give Nagy credit for leaning on his defense and and playing this sort of Chicago Bears grind it out style. Trestman was a flake who only cared about offense. He would score 30 but give up 40 with this super loose style of play that was offensive centric. There has to be balance though. Trestman is your classic offensive coordinator super smart guy/ mad scientist who can come up with new and innovative offensive scheme. But you can’t put him anywhere near a head coaching position. He’ll never compromise his offense for the betterment of the team.
Crock of shit!

Trestman had a one-year wonder offense which, obviously, got figured out in 1 year. Trestman brought in potentially the worst defensive coordination in Bears history, if not NFL history.

Nagy is an "offensive genius" who is a terrible play caller and uses a watered-down Reid offense. His luck was that he had one of the better current defensive coordinators as his defensive coordinator. It was him, not Nagy, that built the defense.

If you switch Fangio for Tucker, there might have never been an explosion Trestman's second year.

If you switch Fangio for Tucker, Bears fans would have been jumping for joy over the improvement Pagano would have gotten from the defense after replacing Tucker with him.

Scary thoughts.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Shut the fuck up with the Alex Smith, Mahomes, KC and Reid situation. It has nothing to do with the Bears situation.
I wasn't comparing the situations. Just saying that in the grand scheme of things, having Dalton start a little bit, possibly even an entire year (highly doubtful), isn't really important. It's all about how Fields turns out, whether he plays from day 1 or not.

I personally don't buy into the whole "oh you're going to ruin him by putting him out there too soon." He could be starting, and would, if he were drafted to NYJ or Jacksonville, for example.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I wasn't comparing the situations. Just saying that in the grand scheme of things, having Dalton start a little bit, possibly even an entire year (highly doubtful), isn't really important. It's all about how Fields turns out, whether he plays from day 1 or not.

I personally don't buy into the whole "oh you're going to ruin him by putting him out there too soon." He could be starting, and would, if he were drafted to NYJ or Jacksonville, for example.
I was more thinking about what the vets thought was more important, seeing that this is a Vets Thoughts About QBs (which turned out to be false).

The band carried Nagy and the offense since 2018. Now with their "Last Dance", they are going to choose the best option to get them on one final playoff run before a large portion of the defense is gone.

This year sure matters to them.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Crock of shit!

Trestman had a one-year wonder offense which, obviously, got figured out in 1 year. Trestman brought in potentially the worst defensive coordination in Bears history, if not NFL history.

Nagy is an "offensive genius" who is a terrible play caller and uses a watered-down Reid offense. His luck was that he had one of the better current defensive coordinators as his defensive coordinator. It was him, not Nagy, that built the defense.

If you switch Fangio for Tucker, there might have never been an explosion Trestman's second year.

If you switch Fangio for Tucker, Bears fans would have been jumping for joy over the improvement Pagano would have gotten from the defense after replacing Tucker with him.

Scary thoughts.
I have some thoughts on this, and I'm going to put it in the spoilers so only those who want to read it can read it:

I'm not suggesting that Tucker is a good coach, I promise. What I am suggesting is that he got a bad rap.

Mel Tucker was put into the worst possible coaching situation ever: Coordinating a veteran defense that was dominated by the loudest voices in the locker room, and one that was previously coached by a beloved figure. As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Tucker wanted to run his own system, but those loud veterans wanted to keep running Lovie's stuff. So you had someone who was forced to run a system that he probably wasn't comfortable with, with a group of players that probably didn't want to hear shit from him.

I'm not sure anyone could have been successful.

That said:

Fuck Mel Tucker.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I was more thinking about what the vets thought was more important, seeing that this is a Vets Thoughts About QBs (which turned out to be false).

The band carried Nagy and the offense since 2018. Now with their "Last Dance", they are going to choose the best option to get them on one final playoff run before a large portion of the defense is gone.

This year sure matters to them.
I tend to think @modo is correct here. The Bears brought Dalton in to be the starter and they're not going to go back on their word because that's an important thing when it comes to recruiting free agents and such (public perception of the FO and their good faith negotiations, etc). If the vets want to see how Andy does too then great, go for it, see what happens. This is pretty much a throw-away year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The only way this is true, is if Matt Nagy is the one who started this rumor. Maybe he's trying to take the pressure off of him for making the wrong choice at QB. He's bad at decisions.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I tend to think @modo is correct here. The Bears brought Dalton in to be the starter and they're not going to go back on their word because that's an important thing when it comes to recruiting free agents and such (public perception of the FO and their good faith negotiations, etc). If the vets want to see how Andy does too then great, go for it, see what happens. This is pretty much a throw-away year.
It is not a throw away year for the vets. I can assure you of that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I have some thoughts on this, and I'm going to put it in the spoilers so only those who want to read it can read it:

I'm not suggesting that Tucker is a good coach, I promise. What I am suggesting is that he got a bad rap.

Mel Tucker was put into the worst possible coaching situation ever: Coordinating a veteran defense that was dominated by the loudest voices in the locker room, and one that was previously coached by a beloved figure. As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Tucker wanted to run his own system, but those loud veterans wanted to keep running Lovie's stuff. So you had someone who was forced to run a system that he probably wasn't comfortable with, with a group of players that probably didn't want to hear shit from him.

I'm not sure anyone could have been successful.

That said:

Fuck Mel Tucker.
I don't really agree, but it certainly is a different point of view.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Well yea, no year is for them. But for the fans it is.
I am just talking about what the thread was about, what Vets think about the QB situation and season.

It isn't a throw away year for me either, because I know that some teams have just squeaked into the post season, gotten hot and have won the Super Bowl against can't lose teams.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I am just talking about what the thread was about, what Vets think about the QB situation and season.

It isn't a throw away year for me either, because I know that some teams have just squeaked into the post season, gotten hot and have won the Super Bowl against can't lose teams.
In the grand scheme of things, which is what I was talking about, it's a throwaway year until it's not. There's a chance that the stars align and nearly all the vets show up big and stay healthy en route to a team that can compete in the playoffs. Most likely though, it's going to be a year for Fields to develop with some competent talent around him before the team begins what could be a big makeover.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Trestmanesque meltdown is a real possibility. All Nagy has to do is play the players who give the Bears the best chance to win each game. If the season is lost after 13 games, then play your young players you want to evaluate or get game experience. I think that is pretty straight forward.

That is the reason I brought it up. There does appear to be a potential for that type of a meltdown, which in turn would be some sort of good news for those who want Nagy gone.

Also, I thought I was pretty clear in my opening post, but the additional commentary was merely my own thoughts based on what was said - as I said before, I gave out the times so people could give their own listen and have their own take...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Joe,

I apologize for getting your name wrong originally. I'll stay with this one from here on out. It's a never ending cycle with you. Soon enough you'll ask for this name to be deleted, you'll disappear into your bomb shelter, only to reemerge months later under a new name talking about how you were wrong about the last thing, but this new thing is the real thing.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat

Can you just save us the time and just admit that you are stupid?

I can admit you are a dick.

Can you admit the only reason you are doing this is because you are so intolerant and abhorrent a human being that you are intentionally trying to run me off the board?

Do we have to bring out the doll and have you point where the bad Hal touched you?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I can admit you are a dick.

Can you admit the only reason you are doing this is because you are so intolerant and abhorrent a human being that you are intentionally trying to run me off the board?

Do we have to bring out the doll and have you point where the bad Hal touched you?
I don’t care if you post here. I just wish you’d be honest, and less of a coward.