Is anyone else nervous about Jenkins at LT?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
New Bears fan?

Not saying Leno was good..... (he wasn't) but Bears have done much worse than Leno.
Which Leno?

Pre-contract Leno was a steal and very serviceable.

Post-contract Leno was a big liability.

That post-contract Leno was very bad and it required ultra bad LTs to be worse than him. Yes, the Bears had them (taco boy comes to mind), but it is harder to actually end up with one who was worse.

I think that it would be hard for Jenkins to be worse than post-contract Leno.

I think he could get past pre-contract Leno by his second year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
How is it Leno gets killed for his bad play and the minute he's gone there's all of this worry about how bad his replacement will be?
I think it is the way of some to bitch about not having an all pro LT when the first step is for Jenkins to be better than 2020 Leno.

Or to be clear...

Some people will bitch about anything.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Honestly man, Jenkins has shown that he has the makeup to be a beast. All he needs to do is get consistent with his technique.
I was thinking about the Colts not signing Fisher, but drafting Jenkins to play LT.

Imagine how nasty that left side would be with Jenkins and Nelson. One would make the pancake and the other one would bag it for carry out (r.i.p.).

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well my concern or bitch as you like to call it is just that I would like to see some of the o-line we drafted start (and succeed) at the position they played in college

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm less worried about our OL now than I was before the draft. That OL is in a much better place now imo.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Leno wasn't a pro bowler but people thinking it can't get worse than Leno?

:brady:

So 2 options, pro-bowl 7th rounder or the worst possible?

Personally I think Leno was never good and UDFA would've over drafting him. He was only slightly better than J'taco, another 7th who shouldn't have been in the NFL as a starter.
I don't know about Jenkins yet but considering he was projected above 7th round and to start he should be MUCH better than the crap we've had at the position in a long time.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So 2 options, pro-bowl 7th rounder or the worst possible?

Personally I think Leno was never good and UDFA would've over drafting him. He was only slightly better than J'taco, another 7th who shouldn't have been in the NFL as a starter.
I don't know about Jenkins yet but considering he was projected above 7th round and to start he should be MUCH better than the crap we've had at the position in a long time.

You can think that. Thats fine. But he was much better than his draft position. Chris Williams was worse than Charles Leno and he was a 1st rounder

You can certainly find much worse left tackles than Charles Leno and thats probably why he was grabbed up right after we let him go

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Because he primarily played RT in college. Also, he's a dominant run blocker and dominant run blockers are typecast as RTs.

I understand that he primarily played RT in college. But I read more than once that he doesn't project as a LT but no one really explained why. Good point about dominant run blockers being typecast as RTs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well my concern or bitch as you like to call it is just that I would like to see some of the o-line we drafted start (and succeed) at the position they played in college
Whitehair to LT and Daniels back at C?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You can think that. Thats fine. But he was much better than his draft position. Chris Williams was worse than Charles Leno and he was a 1st rounder

You can certainly find much worse left tackles than Charles Leno and thats probably why he was grabbed up right after we let him go

I think anyone who made it to starter on any oline is going to get snatched up quick as FA most years. No risk, high reward pickup and a position everyone but the Bears sees value in.
Unless there's some major coaching fixes I bet he gets the same J'Taco treatment in the NFL. He'll bounce around a year or two, then he won't make it through camp another year or two.

I don't know that Leno is hopeless but I know pushing defenders into the QB, for whatever reason he was doing it, is worse than J'Taco allowing himself to be pushed into the QB. If coaching can't fix that he'll be out of the NFL quickly.

I'm not a guru at any position but there are some players I don't get that "it" factor from ever. Grossman was one. Leno is another. I never saw those good years from Leno, but oline is one of the areas that's easy to miss if the player's not great or terrible. And I think that value for the draft position is what Bears fans who say he was good are working under.
It's a 1st round position not a 7th round position. I don't want a 7th who plays like a 5th. I want a 1st that plays like a 1st.
Give me 1st round talent at OT and C and then I'd be more willing to find value 7ths for G.

Last edited: