Is D-Lee Being Shopped...

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
After the regular season, I was pleased. But getting swept and getting swept badly left a sour taste in my mouth. Also, the NL Central that year was pathetic. In the end I have to call it a failure.

Yeah but weren't we like 66 wins and 90 some losses the year before 2007?

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Before you correct me on Barney. He's a natural SS. But they have been conditioning him at 3rd, simply because Starlin is the SS moving forward AND Vitters is a butcher at 3rd (and the plan on moving him to 1st if/when DLee goes).

Dismagic1

Yeah but weren't we like 66 wins and 90 some losses the year before 2007?

So it was successful relative to the 2006 season, okay.

But in an absolute sense, I still say 2007 was a failure. Ask the players on the team if they considered it successful. They will all say no. Unless you win the whole thing, you failed.

No professional teams sets out a season to win the division. Their goal is to win the whole thing.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
So it was successful relative to the 2006 season, okay.

But in an absolute sense, I still say 2007 was a failure. Ask the players on the team if they considered it successful. They will all say no. Unless you win the whole thing, you failed.

No professional teams sets out a season to win the division. Their goal is to win the whole thing.

I know, I was just tryna say that it felt like a great year when in reality it wasn't, due to 2006.

yoshiki89

Liked Posts:
I'm a Cubs fan. Just trying to figure out why you're okay with mediocrity? :slap:

1) They won nothing.
2) They won nothing. Division Titles and getting swept in the first round of the playoffs are worthless.

Ok, you're right and I am wrong. Gee, I am such a moron. You are the *best* at defending your position. Yes! This Cubs team SUCKS, we need guys like Dusty Baker and Jim Riggleman back. Yes!! Then we will actually WIN something!!

How I miss the glory days!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ok, you're right and I am wrong. Gee, I am such a moron. You are the *best* at defending your position. Yes! This Cubs team SUCKS, we need guys like Dusty Baker and Jim Riggleman back. Yes!! Then we will actually WIN something!!

dusty.jpg

Dismagic1

No you'd have to go further back than those guys to find winners.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have exactly 2 1B/3B prospect that are highly touted (Josh Vitters and Darwin Barney).
They have 1 2B/SS prospect that's elite (Starlin Castro)

Before you correct me on Barney. He's a natural SS. But they have been conditioning him at 3rd, simply because Starlin is the SS moving forward AND Vitters is a butcher at 3rd (and the plan on moving him to 1st if/when DLee goes).
Barney has played one game at 3rd base all season long........

I know they are high on LeMahieu as well. Between Lee, LeMahieu, Barney, and Castro I think the Cubs look a lot better up the middle than they do at the corners down the road.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

Just putting this out there. Dusty Baker and Jim Riggleman are managing a 1st place team, and team 2 games back in the WC (respectively) ALL with much lesser talent than the Chicago Cubs have.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have exactly 2 1B/3B prospect that are highly touted (Josh Vitters and Darwin Barney).
They have 1 2B/SS prospect that's elite (Starlin Castro)

Barney has played one game at 3rd base all season long........

I know they are high on LeMahieu as well. Between Lee, LeMahieu, Barney, and Castro I think the Cubs look a lot better up the middle than they do at the corners down the road.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I don't think Lee sniffs the majors until he proves he can hit the baseball consistantly. I'd take his production (.250 with excellent speed, defense, and the occasional run batted in) at the ML level if you can promise me excellence in the batting order everywhere else. But, sadly, he won't be able to hit .250 at the ML level if thats all he can muster at A ball.

As far as Darwin Barney goes, I'm just telling you what the Cubs are planning on doing. There have been consistent talks of him playing 3B because of Castro. I believe the game at 3B was last week. You may want to double check for me.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Lee sniffs the majors until he proves he can hit the baseball consistantly. I'd take his production (.250 with excellent speed, defense, and the occasional run batted in) at the ML level if you can promise me excellence in the batting order everywhere else. But, sadly, he won't be able to hit .250 at the ML level if thats all he can muster at A ball.
Went and saw him play a few weeks ago. Kid is crazy talented and can fly. Has an awesome arm. Still finding himself at the plat a bit for when I saw him he had a few hard luck outs too. Hitting the ball real hard at people. Looks like he hasn't learned how to really spray the ball to all fields yet. Right now a dead pull hitter.

Also, for what it's worth I have also heard that someday they may take a look at him at CF as well if something falls through with one of the Cubs OF prospects.

I think Lee makes an MLB debut sometime in 2012.

As far as Darwin Barney goes, I'm just telling you what the Cubs are planning on doing. There have been consistent talks of him playing 3B because of Castro. I believe the game at 3B was last week. You may want to double check for me.
I'll check....

Looked at all the May boxscores....Nothing for him at 3B

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Well, I know I'm certainly not crazy. I've heard they want to circulate him at 3rd because of the Castro being the SS. Hak-Ju could be crazy good at 2B. Again, I'd be fine with .250-.260 with a .330 OBP if he could guarantee SBs and gold glove D (like he is projected).

I've heard some CRAZY comparisons about HJL's defense. I even read a scout report that he's got a Vizquel-like glove. I thought that might be crazy. I can't wait to get up to Peoria this summer and see him live.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I know I'm certainly not crazy. I've heard they want to circulate him at 3rd because of the Castro being the SS. Hak-Ju could be crazy good at 2B. Again, I'd be fine with .250-.260 with a .330 OBP if he could guarantee SBs and gold glove D (like he is projected).

I've heard some CRAZY comparisons about HJL's defense. I even read a scout report that he's got a Vizquel-like glove. I thought that might be crazy. I can't wait to get up to Peoria this summer and see him live.

Where you from Zan? I saw him when he came to town to play the QC River Bandits.

Agree on Lee though. You talk to some scouts and they are almost as high on him as they were/are on Castro. Castro/Lee up the middle someday would be an infield with some CRAZY range. Hopefully Vitters keeps coming along as well. No doubt you heard the Barney stuff. Just saying I haven't seen/heard him playing much 3B.

I'm loving the Cubs farm system right now though position player wise....pitching wise....meh. average at best but there are some nice pieces.

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I'm from just north of Springfield. Small town called Williamsville.

I like the farm, too. That's what happens when you get a guy in the head scout spot that can scout more than just pitching. Sure, having a farm of Prior, Zambrano, Wood was pretty damn nice. Then the second wave that included Guzman. All those touted arms either got injured or never panned out. Now we got a guy who scouts position players and they are all looking awesome.

Only complaint I have is that they are all of the same mold. That hit for average/small ball/utilize your speed mold. We gotta have a big bopper prospect somewhere. But everyone seems to be that .275 15 HR and 65-70 RBI with 10-15 SB type.....oh well, it stresses unity.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm from just north of Springfield. Small town called Williamsville.

I like the farm, too. That's what happens when you get a guy in the head scout spot that can scout more than just pitching. Sure, having a farm of Prior, Zambrano, Wood was pretty damn nice. Then the second wave that included Guzman. All those touted arms either got injured or never panned out. Now we got a guy who scouts position players and they are all looking awesome.

Only complaint I have is that they are all of the same mold. That hit for average/small ball/utilize your speed mold. We gotta have a big bopper prospect somewhere. But everyone seems to be that .275 15 HR and 65-70 RBI with 10-15 SB type.....oh well, it stresses unity.

Agreed. I think they are hoping Vitters becomes that guy or maybe they are lthinking at some point they can get a free agent to fill that mold as well. At some point though they do need to find a bopper for down the line. Vitters better pan out to be that guy because as bad as he is defensively he doesn't really have much value if he can't drive in lots of runs and hit 30+ homers a season at the MLB level. Vitters it the one highly rated prospect that has the highest "bust" potential IMO because of that fact....he's very one dimensional and if he ends up not being able to hit for power he really has little value.

That would be my concern with moving Barney to 3rd as well. The lack of power coming from that spot on the field if that move is made.