Is Darling playing himself into a starting position with a team somewhere?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long do we have him tied up for? I know 3 games don't make a career, but man he has shown some steady, if not outstanding, net minding. Color me impressed.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he ends up starting the rest of the way or something and plays like this, then I'd say yes. I don't really know how much sample size teams need to make a move like that.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
How long do we have him tied up for? I know 3 games don't make a career, but man he has shown some steady, if not outstanding, net minding. Color me impressed.

Darling signed a 2-year extension this season, so he's Chicago property through 2017 on a deal worth $1.175 million total.

I think it's way more likely that, should Darling keep this up, it's Crawford's $6 million/year deal that gets sent out of town.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Darling signed a 2-year extension this season, so he's Chicago property through 2017 on a deal worth $1.175 million total.

I think it's way more likely that, should Darling keep this up, it's Crawford's $6 million/year deal that gets sent out of town.

This... I am a Crow supporter but Darling is really showing some good stuff and for much better value than Crow.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In light of this new information, I agree with this statement

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

You'd have to find someone who was willing to take that large of a contract for a goalie, especially one who collapsed on you in the first round.

I would wait till the end of the Hawks playoff season before I look to see who needs to stay and who needs to go. Crows cap hit would help alleviate our cap issues, but Darling has only put up less than 25 games worth of history to judge him on, which don't forget, Huet did as well in Montreal that suddenly made him a hot commodity.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
You'd have to find someone who was willing to take that large of a contract for a goalie, especially one who collapsed on you in the first round.

I would wait till the end of the Hawks playoff season before I look to see who needs to stay and who needs to go. Crows cap hit would help alleviate our cap issues, but Darling has only put up less than 25 games worth of history to judge him on, which don't forget, Huet did as well in Montreal that suddenly made him a hot commodity.

Beat me to my next post.

It's a tad early to start considering Darling as a long-term replacement for Crawford, but he's making a pretty good case so far.

I think Darling is proving the adage that above average goaltending is all you need in behind a team that can play team defense as well as the Hawks. Which seemed to be the organization's philosophy during the first 2 Cup runs, until they threw that huge contract at Crow.

Also: there would absolutely be a market for Crawford. Maybe not a first-round pick type of market, but someone would take a goalie with a Cup win in his career.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Beat me to my next post.

It's a tad early to start considering Darling as a long-term replacement for Crawford, but he's making a pretty good case so far.

I think Darling is proving the adage that above average goaltending is all you need in behind a team that can play team defense as well as the Hawks. Which seemed to be the organization's philosophy during the first 2 Cup runs, until they threw that huge contract at Crow.

Also: there would absolutely be a market for Crawford. Maybe not a first-round pick type of market, but someone would take a goalie with a Cup win in his career.

Yeah, but at 6 million a year? Not sure that's a huge market.

Say the Hawks do win the SC with Darling as their goaltender. The rest of the league is going to take notice and realize if you field a competitive team, you won't need to put so much $$$ on a goalie.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
There would be a decent list of teams willing to take a chance on Crawford if the powers that be decide to dangle him.
It would open up the possibility of bringing in a FA stay at home Dman that has some worth to lessen the amount of shots that these netminders are facing, depending on how much they want to part with (Sharp/Bickell). You also need to consider on how much the market will command for Seabrook when he's a UFA soon.
Darling could be a fluke, and Craw's play could be a fluke as well (referring to the first round), meaning the team is parting with a proven cup winning goaltender for possible plugs, playing the Redwings card (of old--and sort of new when Mrazek is starting).

The Hawks are averaging 3.25 GPG, but when you include the OTs, it averages to 2.54, which means they have been underperforming offensively. That's quite a load for any goaltender/defense.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now Darling has a .969 save %, along with a 1.05 GAA.
That should raise eyebrows if the team moves onto the second round.

Chicago is 12th in PP and 10th in PK out of the 16 playoff teams, which should spell disaster, yet they have the 3-1 series lead.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Say the Hawks do win the SC with Darling as their goaltender. The rest of the league is going to take notice and realize if you field a competitive team, you won't need to put so much $$$ on a goalie.

A huge market? Nah. But I think there'd still be one.

And are you so sure the league would learn that lesson now? Chicago isn't the first team to do this, and not enough teams learned from Detroit. Brian Burke is still a GM right?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right now Darling has a .969 save %, along with a 1.05 GAA.
That should raise eyebrows if the team moves onto the second round.

10$ says Q starts Crow in the 2nd round of the playoffs....

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

And are you so sure the league would learn that lesson now? Chicago isn't the first team to do this, and not enough teams learned from Detroit. Brian Burke is still a GM right?
Brad Treliving is the GM of the Flames, while Burke is President of Hockey Operations in Calgary. 3-1 up on the Canucks.

10$ says Q starts Crow in the 2nd round of the playoffs....
At this point nothing is a safe bet with Q.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

No...he isn't.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brad Treliving is the GM of the Flames, while Burke is President of Hockey Operations in Calgary. 3-1 up on the Canucks.

At this point nothing is a safe bet with Q.

Oh no? Bet me your house that he plays Rozival the entire playoffs regardless of how bad he plays lol

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

There would be a market out there. People know what Crawford has done this past regular season and they know his record in the postseason. I don't think many teams are going to look at his past 2 games and hold that against him...even though they will try when/if talking to Stan.

Also - have to remember that the Blackhawks could retain part of his cap hit if needed. I don't think it is needed, but that new rule in the CBA has made virtually every player very tradeable.

Salary Cap is going up next year which will make Crawford's contract more favorable as well.

A little too early to really think about it but a Darling/Raanta duo could possibly work next year. It is certainly a gamble but would save the Blackhawks a large chunk of cap...which is going to be needed big time. Until then, I'll just enjoy the ride and there is of course the possibility that Crawford becomes the man in the crease again this postseason.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh no? Bet me your house that he plays Rozival the entire playoffs regardless of how bad he plays lol

You don't want my house, and Rozy is going to keep logging minutes.
Speaking of my house... I need to mow the lawn. Where's Grimson? I could pay him with shitty beer.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'm just not so sure about the market for a 6 million dollar goalie.

Crawford has stood on his head at times, but these past two games he's played are not the only dumps he's taken before.

Also have to look at the team he plays in front of. If Darling is looking so good, why isn't Crow doing that well in front of the same team. These are just questions a GM will ask before they get involved.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just not so sure about the market for a 6 million dollar goalie.

Crawford has stood on his head at times, but these past two games he's played are not the only dumps he's taken before.

Also have to look at the team he plays in front of. If Darling is looking so good, why isn't Crow doing that well in front of the same team. These are just questions a GM will ask before they get involved.

Craw is a career 147-79-34 with a 2.34 GAA and a .917 SV% in the regular season, this year .924 SV%, which is .002 worse than his Cup year. Playoffs he is 32-24, which doesn't amount to amazing (Still has a Cup), but his SV% is .917 (the same as the regular season), and a 2.31 GAA. Those numbers would definitely have some GMs looking.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Craw is a career 147-79-34 with a 2.34 GAA and a .917 SV% in the regular season, this year .924 SV%, which is .002 worse than his Cup year. Playoffs he is 32-24, which doesn't amount to amazing (Still has a Cup), but his SV% is .917 (the same as the regular season), and a 2.31 GAA. Those numbers would definitely have some GMs looking.

Don't disagree about his numbers. I just believe more is involved than just the numbers. Talent wise, team in front of him, mental composition, numbers, contract are all things that come to into play.

I'm sure many teams will be interested, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were maybe 2-3 teams at most, and the offers would suck.