Is Demar Derozan a good fit on the bulls?

Is signing Derozan a good idea?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Would you give Derozan 3 years and 60 million? Especially knowing it limits what you can do at PG?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Assuming he doesn't re-sign with the Spurs, I see him wearing blue and orange next season.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This thread feels spiteful, but I'll answer it anyway since it'll fill the space between now and the draft lol

I would not unless it was clear that there were no good PG prospects available. As I stated in the other thread, we already have 2 wing players. Technically you could play either PWill or Derozan at the 4 (SAS played Derozan as a PF this past year per basketball-reference interestingly) but their natural position is on the wing probably at SF. It would work, but I think a PG would do more for the team, if we're talking about players of equal caliber.

I wouldn't call him the best fit on this team, but you can argue he would fit in the small ball/positionless concept that is popular these days. So he could be considered a good fit in that perspective

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This thread feels spiteful, but I'll answer it anyway since it'll fill the space between now and the draft lol

I would not unless it was clear that there were no good PG prospects available. As I stated in the other thread, we already have 2 wing players. Technically you could play either PWill or Derozan at the 4 (SAS played Derozan as a PF this past year per basketball-reference interestingly) but their natural position is on the wing probably at SF. It would work, but I think a PG would do more for the team, if we're talking about players of equal caliber.

I wouldn't call him the best fit on this team, but you can argue he would fit in the small ball/positionless concept that is popular these days. So he could be considered a good fit in that perspective

a lil…but actually also genuinely curious what others think. Like if most of ccs thinks it’s a good idea, maybe I need to reconsider it.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
No, terrible fit. Above all else we need a PG and if we were to go after a middling wing id want them to be a good if not lockdown defender.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At quick glance, I thought he was Kawhi. That's gotta count for something.

1626902088989.png

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But in all seriousness... There is a difference between fit and need.

Do I think he can be a good fit? In one way yes, in another way, no. Yes, because I think we'd be able to plug him in at SF for some solid minutes. If we wanna go bigger, move him to 2. If we go really small, he can be moved to 4, which he's done a bit, as mentioned. He's a solid player, and I think he'd compliment Lavine and Vic nicely. He's got different strengths which may benefit us. No because he'll be 32 this summer. Realistically, we aren't winning a title in at least 2-3 seasons, so I'd rather go after younger guys who we can develop, etc. He's also not the best defender or 3pt shooter out there, both of which would help us out.

Do I think he's a need? I mean, for a team that missed the playoffs, I think we have a few needs.. Derozan has solid playoff experience which this team lacks. He could help mentor guys and show them how to win. So in that sense, he fills a need. But do we have bigger needs in terms of position/skillset? Yeah, probably. We all know PG is glaring need.. so we should try to approach that first if possible.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But in all seriousness... There is a difference between fit and need.

Do I think he can be a good fit? In one way yes, in another way, no. Yes, because I think we'd be able to plug him in at SF for some solid minutes. If we wanna go bigger, move him to 2. If we go really small, he can be moved to 4, which he's done a bit, as mentioned. He's a solid player, and I think he'd compliment Lavine and Vic nicely. He's got different strengths which may benefit us. No because he'll be 32 this summer. Realistically, we aren't winning a title in at least 2-3 seasons, so I'd rather go after younger guys who we can develop, etc. He's also not the best defender or 3pt shooter out there, both of which would help us out.

Do I think he's a need? I mean, for a team that missed the playoffs, I think we have a few needs.. Derozan has solid playoff experience which this team lacks. He could help mentor guys and show them how to win. So in that sense, he fills a need. But do we have bigger needs in terms of position/skillset? Yeah, probably. We all know PG is glaring need.. so we should try to approach that first if possible.
Yeah this basically sums up my thoughts nicely

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Obviously a spiteful and childish thread lol but color me shocked on that one

Anyways, this is fair enough. Although, Knoxville is obviously eluding to our conversation where I posited adding Rose and DeRozan which would upgrade the PG and wing spot. But I digress….

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Anyways, this is fair enough. Although, Knoxville is obviously eluding to our conversation where I posited adding Rose and DeRozan which would upgrade the PG and wing spot. But I digress….
This is part of why I kinda took the assumption of an either/or situation of Derozan vs a PG. Because if we solve our PG hole well enough (let's say DRose is sufficient) and still have enough money to get Derozan, it's a yeah why not type of thing at that point. Being forced to choose makes you consider more closely if Derozan would really be a player to improve the team as is, imo.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

you would also be subtracting Thad and sato, have to mention that too. And even then, it’s not certain you could fit both Derozan and rose under the cap

Enasic

Liked Posts:
This is part of why I kinda took the assumption of an either/or situation of Derozan vs a PG. Because if we solve our PG hole well enough (let's say DRose is sufficient) and still have enough money to get Derozan, it's a yeah why not type of thing at that point. Being forced to choose makes you consider more closely if Derozan would really be a player to improve the team as is, imo.
Agreed. My whole premise was adding both players. But adding DeRozan and Rose is better than adding Lonzo/Lowry and whatever wing player available with the non tax payer exception, IMO. People forget DeRozan is a 4x all star that still put up all star caliber numbers last season. Sure, he’s not elite, but he’s a really good player that’s getting undersold overall because of his inability to shoot 3s. You add him to a unit where the other 4 should shoot 38% or better from deep and the spacing concerns aren’t reality based

Enasic

Liked Posts:
you would also be subtracting Thad and sato, have to mention that too. And even then, it’s not certain you could fit both Derozan and rose under the cap
Bulls are likely going to have to lose both anyways if they want to spend big, but yes, that’s correct.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If bulls are set on trying to fit a FA point guard and a wing player onto the roster, I’d rather they sign a guy like rose for less than the top tier PG’s and trade for a guy like Marcus smart on a 1 year deal for like 14 mil left, and keep Thad that way. I doubt smart would cost much in a trade, and you keep your future cap flexibility going forward as opposed to giving Derozan a 3 or 4 year deal at 20 mil per.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Marcus Smart and Thad…two guys who can’t shoot 3s. What the hell were you going on and on about for 5 pages ? Lol….geez Louise, dude.

Didn’t you say DeRozan is undersized to play the 3 (which he’s not)? But Smart who is 6’4 is perfectly fine? What is going on here? Lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Marcus Smart and Thad…two guys who can’t shoot 3s. What the hell were you going on and on about for 5 pages ? Lol….geez Louise, dude.

Didn’t you say DeRozan is undersized to play the 3 (which he’s not)? But Smart who is 6’4 is perfectly fine? What is going on here? Lol

we were talking starting 5’s. Thad is more like a 6th man. But semantics aside, I think you’d agree Thad is worth trying to keep around?

Smart is an elite defender that can handle the elite 3’s of the league as well as anyone can and is a better 3 point shooter than Derozan is. smart is about 33%, which is almost league average at least. Derozan shoots it 25-26%, which is just atrociously bad for a wing player.

for perspective…Ben Simmons shot a better percent from 3 than Derozan did. And Simmons is treated like a pariah because of his outside shooting

Enasic

Liked Posts:
we were talking starting 5’s. Thad is more like a 6th man. But semantics aside, I think you’d agree Thad is worth trying to keep around?

Smart is an elite defender that can handle the elite 3’s of the league as well as anyone can and is a better 3 point shooter than Derozan is. smart is about 33%, which is almost league average at least. Derozan shoots it 25-26%, which is just atrociously bad for a wing player.

for perspective…Ben Simmons shot a better percent from 3 than Derozan did. And Simmons is treated like a pariah because of his outside shooting
I’m torn on Thad. He has value but bulls need to add more game changing players. Thad is also not able to handle a high workload or mins and I felt he faded late into the season. I don’t see how the Bulls could add and spend in FA if they keep Thad.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I mean you could make him fit...

If you want to pick and pop a lot with Vucevic its not a bad thing.
Also, spreading the floor while letting Demar play to his strength and attack the rim or kickout to Vuc/Lavine would also work.

Who else are you bringing in? This would effect rotations and spots

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I mean you could make him fit...

If you want to pick and pop a lot with Vucevic its not a bad thing.
Also, spreading the floor while letting Demar play to his strength and attack the rim or kickout to Vuc/Lavine would also work.

Who else are you bringing in? This would effect rotations and spots
D rose in my hypothetical. And obviously Marko and whatever 2nd rounder we select.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

I'm not defending DeRozan's shooting here but he did alteast attempt one a game. Simmons is such a pariah because he refuses to shoot them all together. He only took 10 attempts this past season.