Is Demar Derozan a good fit on the bulls?

Is signing Derozan a good idea?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If you go back to the initial DeRozan for Kawhi trade, I think if the Raptors decided to move Lowry instead of DeRozan I don't think they even make the Finals. DeRozan obviously makes the Bulls better, but it's only in the short term, and it doesn't help you in the ultimate goal of winning a title.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm not defending DeRozan's shooting here but he did alteast attempt one a game. Simmons is such a pariah because he refuses to shoot them all together. He only took 10 attempts this past season.

oh for sure. But let’s not act like derozan took many more than the 10 Simmons took. Think derozan shot like 70 something all season.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I mean, Simmons can’t score outside of the paint and DeRozan has a great mid-range game. You don’t need to guard Simmons outside of 15 feet. We’re not talking about the same level of spacing concerns or offensive skill set.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If you go back to the initial DeRozan for Kawhi trade, I think if the Raptors decided to move Lowry instead of DeRozan I don't think they even make the Finals. DeRozan obviously makes the Bulls better, but it's only in the short term, and it doesn't help you in the ultimate goal of winning a title.
Definitely debatable. Who would the Raps replace Lowry with in this hypothetical? I’m guessing they wouldn’t leave an empty void there.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
D rose in my hypothetical. And obviously Marko and whatever 2nd rounder we select.

IDK if I like Both Rose and Derozan on the floor together. They both dribble the shit out of the ball. Perhaps if Rose was the 6th man and the rotation lessened the time both are on the floor together. However come late 4th Quarter, Rose isnt sitting

Rose > Coby and he wouldnt be that 6th man or riding the pine in the 4th. Would Rose defer to Demar more and be willing to be a cutter/spot up guy? Demar isnt a cutter, nor a deep spot up guy and this would limit roses game some.

Zach dribbles a lot too.

Personally if I went after Demar. Id have Zach be the 1 and Just play Demar at the 2. He can still point forward some. get some old peeps like Ariza and Carmelo too.

Small Balling............

I dont like it but

PG Zach
SG Demar
SF Patrick/Ariza
PF Melo
C Nikola

If I wanted Rose, Id put in an offer/push for John Collins, but he probably gets matched or dealt in a better sign/trade

I think I like this a lil more

PG Derrick/Coby
SG Zach
SF Patrick
PF John Collins
C Nikola

6th Man

SF/PF Melo

IDK though. If I were the Bulls, I would have blown it up and not traded for Nikola

Last edited:

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I mean, Simmons can’t score outside of the paint and DeRozan has a great mid-range game. You don’t need to guard Simmons outside of 15 feet. We’re not talking about the same level of spacing concerns or offensive skill set.

Looking up the stats Simmons only took 7 more shots from mid than Dwight Howard and made the same amount ?

Simmons 7-21
Dwight 7-14
DeRozan 156-331

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Looking up the stats Simmons only took 7 more shots from mid than Dwight Howard while making the same amount ?

Simmons 7-21
Dwight 7-14
DeRozan 156-331

im a bit surprised to see derozan under 50% from that range

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I actually thought he's be 50+% too. 47% ain't bad though

no it’s not bad. Just surprised that someone who is considered to be an elite mid range game type of guy, isn’t over 50% at it

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
no it’s not bad. Just surprised that someone who is considered to be an elite mid range game type of guy, isn’t over 50% at it
Shooting 50% on jumpers is a pretty significant feat. I don't think any volume shooter shoots that well overall, generally speaking. I'm sure you can find some cases.

I'm sure you have recollection of Lamarcus Aldridge being absolutely money from midrange in his career. Turns out he shoots 42% from midrange for his career. 49% in his last year before retiring though. (note, I'm using the basketball-reference 16ft-3pt stat for midrange, which I think is reasonable). I suppose to your credit then, Derozan is only 39% from that range in his career.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Shooting 50% on jumpers is a pretty significant feat. I don't think any volume shooter shoots that well overall, generally speaking. I'm sure you can find some cases.

I'm sure you have recollection of Lamarcus Aldridge being absolutely money from midrange in his career. Turns out he shoots 42% from midrange for his career. 49% in his last year before retiring though. (note, I'm using the basketball-reference 16ft-3pt stat for midrange, which I think is reasonable). I suppose to your credit then, Derozan is only 39% from that range in his career.
Yeah, 16ft to the 3 point line there’s not many great shooters really. Looked up lavine from that range last year since he had a ridiculously good shooting season, and he hit at that range at a 46% clip

oddly enough Zach only shot 36% from 3-10 feet away. Kinda the same thing people give lonzo ball crap for at 30%.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, 16ft to the 3 point line there’s not many great shooters really. Looked up lavine from that range last year since he had a ridiculously good shooting season, and he hit at that range at a 46% clip

oddly enough Zach only shot 36% from 3-10 feet away. Kinda the same thing people give lonzo ball crap for at 30%.
I mean if we apply the same standard for 3pt shooting to that range, anything around 35% is average, 39% is very good, 42% is elite, 46+% is absurd. If you wanted to made it tougher of a standard and add like 2% to each range, 39% is still like solidly above average.

3-10 feet is like floater range. So I'd say Zach and Lonzo both had their struggles from that range. Lonzo is just worse. For reference, Trae Young, who has what I'd call an elite floater, shot 47% from that range this year. 53% from midrange too wow. Tony Parker, who we all know as one of the best slashing guards in the league's history, career 45.5% from 3-10 and 41% from midrange. Just to put those numbers in perspective with those who we know are good.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean if we apply the same standard for 3pt shooting to that range, anything around 35% is average, 39% is very good, 42% is elite, 46+% is absurd. If you wanted to made it tougher of a standard and add like 2% to each range, 39% is still like solidly above average.

3-10 feet is like floater range. So I'd say Zach and Lonzo both had their struggles from that range. Lonzo is just worse. For reference, Trae Young, who has what I'd call an elite floater, shot 47% from that range this year. 53% from midrange too wow. Tony Parker, who we all know as one of the best slashing guards in the league's history, career 45.5% from 3-10 and 41% from midrange. Just to put those numbers in perspective with those who we know are good.

oh for sure. That’s why I referenced last season for Zach as ridiculous. His shooting numbers were elite level

it’s just surprising to me Zach shot that poorly from 3-10 ft, yet still managed to shoot over 50% overall with that gap in his game still. Imagine when/if he improves on that…he will shoot like 57%+ overall and that’s just insane for any player really, but especially for a guard

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
oh for sure. That’s why I referenced last season for Zach as ridiculous. His shooting numbers were elite level

it’s just surprising to me Zach shot that poorly from 3-10 ft, yet still managed to shoot over 50% overall with that gap in his game still. Imagine when/if he improves on that…he will shoot like 57%+ overall and that’s just insane
Zach's jump shooting was definitely on another level last year. 42% from 3, 46% from mid, 48% from 10-16. He shot 69% at the rim at 57% on 2s overall. Floater range was really his only weak point, so if he improves that, yeah he could easily be shooting even better overall which is absolutely insane.