Is Fields = RG3?

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Fields: 6'3", 228 pounds

Griffin: 6'2 3/8", 223 pounds

Fields: 4.4 speed

Griffin: 4.4 speed

Fields: criticisms are hitch in throwing motion, lack of experience reading defenses

Griffin: criticisms are over-the-top throwing motion, lack of experience reading defenses, doesn't call audibles

Fields: pros are escapability, arm strength, physical toughness, mental ability and toughness

Griffin: pros are speed, big arm, mental toughness, intelligence

Fields: draft comparisons to young Michael Vick

Griffin: draft comparisons to young Michael Vick

Now, whether Fields turns out like Griffin will depend a lot on Fields, his attitude, the quality of his OL, the quality of the coaching staff, and other factors.

But the comparisons are there, their games seem pretty similar, and it will be interesting to see Fields' trajectory in comparison to Griffin's over his NFL career.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only criticism is he has a long history of failed Ohio State QB's to overcome-

I hope he breaks that Jinx

msadows

Liked Posts:
Who the heck compared Fields to Vick?

Might as well compare their skin color, that might be the most accurate comparison b/t Fields and RG3.

If you're black and you can run you are instantly compared Mike Vick or Cam Newton.

If you're white and can run you are instantly compared to Steve Young.

so dumb.

There really hasn't been a qb like him in nfl history yet. May murray as far as a running/throwing combo, but Fields is much bigger than murray and nearly as fast.....

Most running qb's of his speed can only dream of throwing the ball like he can. RG3 was never the passer fields is and will be.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only criticism is he has a long history of failed Ohio State QB's to overcome-

I hope he breaks that Jinx

this isnt accurate. if we're talking about 1st round prospects that is

people want to point at QBs like troy smith who were drafted in the later rounds who didnt end up being good

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RG3 is way more brittle than Fields and couldn't slide.

I've heard comps everywhere from Steve Young to Cam+accuracy.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is not a good comparison. The concern with RG3 was whether he could become a pocket passer. Fields is an elusive pocket passer in the mold of Russell Wilson, who himself developed into a better version of Tony Romo. Fields could develop into a better version of Wilson.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
His profile is low-turnover, high-sack with accuracy at hitting open receivers. Comps to that would be Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Daniel Jones.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
From a pure aesthetics standpoint, RGIII was one of the smoothest athletes playing the quarterback position when he came out. He threw one of the prettiest balls you'll see, and he played with great balance and flexibility. I don't think Justin Fields plays with that level of artistry, but he's probably just as gifted physically. Griffin is a little faster and maybe has a slightly stronger arm, but Fields is bigger and seems to be a little beefier than Griffin was.

Two things that concern me a little bit is the hitch in his throwing motion, and his durability. He's been dinged up a bit in college, so he needs to learn how to not to put himself in harms way as much at the next level. SLIDE!

To me, he feels more like a hybrid of Cam and Russell Wilson. Obviously has a chance to be great. If Nagy screws this up, he'll never be offered another head coaching position.

Last edited:

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
this isnt accurate. if we're talking about 1st round prospects that is

people want to point at QBs like troy smith who were drafted in the later rounds who didnt end up being good
If it isn't accurate, then it should be easy to name a great NFL QB from THE OSU - They are #2 in Wins in college football all time BTW.

Mike Tomczak is the most successful NFL QB out of OSU - He was a career back-up and he went UNDRAFTED.

Liked Posts:
If it isn't accurate, then it should be easy to name a great NFL QB from THE OSU - They are #2 in Wins in college football all time BTW.

Mike Tomczak is the most successful NFL QB out of OSU - He was a career back-up and he went UNDRAFTED.
Just listen to what you’re saying. How does past performance of totally different teams, personnel, coaching staffs of a given college program impact the future performance of a current draftee?

I hear people say this sort of stuff and maybe there’s a little merit to it, but logic tells you otherwise.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Fields is Fields

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So what other Texas Tech QBs have been great aside from Mahomes? Oregon and Herbert? Neither were known for QBs but they produced 2 good ones recently

I dont care how many have failed from OSU, how many have failed from OSU that were 1st round prospects. thats a better question

msadows

Liked Posts:
So what other Texas Tech QBs have been great aside from Mahomes? Oregon and Herbert? Neither were known for QBs but they produced 2 good ones recently

I dont care how many have failed from OSU, how many have failed from OSU that were 1st round prospects. thats a better question

Whatever team drafts Sam Howell next year at #1 overall better watch out, obviously he's got the mitch trubisky curse.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:

You're not wrong - I wrote a similar post in a different thread before the draft. However, my main concern was that Pace was going to give up three 1sts to move up to 6 or 8 to get what might be another OSU bust. The gods were smiling on the Bears last Thursday as Pace only had to give up one 1st to move up to 11.

Fields is an incredible athlete and college QB, and if there's anyone who can break the OSU mold it's him. It's well worth the risk of giving up only one 1st, as well as a 3rd and a 4th. He's the best QB prospect the Bears have drafted in the Super Bowl era, and not's even close.

Most of us hated the Trubisky pick and draft moves surrounding it. It's pretty universal that Bear fans love this pick.