Is George Really That Tone Deaf?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having watched Bears ownership for many years now there are only two conclusions you can really come to;

1. Ownership is completely tone deaf and blind to the realities on the ground and how poorly run the organization is
2. Ownership is aware of all of the problems the organization has and just doesn't care because they continue to make a lot of money

Obviously, neither conclusion is desirable. I don't buy the argument that ownership is inept and incapable of fixing the issues this organization has. If you REALLY wanted to fix the 30+ year problem you'd spend the money and find the people and be relentless and exhaustive as an organization to fix the damn problem. I never get the feeling the Bears are doing that. We've been a doormat to our arch rival, The Packers, for the past 30 years or so. That in of itself should be an enormous embarrassment to ownership. They don't seem bothered by it at all.

I can't help but think that the Chicago Bears are one of the most underachieving sports organizations in the country. It's a giant market, it's a football city, the fans are passionate and engaged, the organization does have a proud history even though it's now borderline ancient history. The fans have always deserved better than what we've been given from the McCaskey's.
#2 Says it all..They're still living in the 40's when competition was scarce.

It doesn't matter what changes are made. The team will still be the same because ownership is the same.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP, yes, he is that tone deaf.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Bears need to take a look at what the Bulls did right to turn their ship around. They identified proven GM talent from a more successful organization and poached them. That's what we need to do. George needs to pack several crates of Ben Franklin's onto a truck and back that truck up to the driveway of the most successful, most proven GM that shows any interest whatsoever in coming here

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think factoring in how much social media and sports media in general has changed over the last 10 years has changed the landscape on how people view ownership of sports team and what the majority of fans are willing to accept. I don't think the McCaskey's have ever received as much criticism as they are getting now. Up until recently, they could do whatever they wanted and the local kiss ass media didn't get on them like they are now. The McCaskey's have two goals, make money and preserve what Papa Bear gave them. I really believe George is finally realizing that he is responsible for the destruction of the Chicago Bears legacy. I expect Nagy to be fired and if Pace is retained, he will have a different role in which he has no power over the next GM and HC. Maybe POFO over scouting, or something like that.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, he's not. I am not saying he's making good decisions, but he most certainly is hearing the fans, media, his peers, etc. FFS the entire city was chanting 'Fire Nagy' and it turned into a nation wide living meme! and he doesn't strike me as some sort of meglomaniac. The fact that he's asking for outside help should answer this question.

I hope he is getting good advice from Dungy.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bears need to take a look at what the Bulls did right to turn their ship around. They identified proven GM talent from a more successful organization and poached them. That's what we need to do. George needs to pack several crates of Ben Franklin's onto a truck and back that truck up to the driveway of the most successful, most proven GM that shows any interest whatsoever in coming here
This…

till they are ready to go out and throw the type of $$ at the problem it will take to fix things, nothing will change. You want to get the right person, you have to compensate that person accordingly.

bears need to identify that person, and make them an offer they can’t refuse. Expecting to just get the right people in because “it’s da bearz and we rich in truhditiun” ain’t cutting it. Nobody thinks of the bears as being rich in tradition anymore except for bears fans…

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really don't think money will be a concern here. Competent decision making will continue to be until proven otherwise.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Having watched Bears ownership for many years now there are only two conclusions you can really come to;

1. Ownership is completely tone deaf and blind to the realities on the ground and how poorly run the organization is
2. Ownership is aware of all of the problems the organization has and just doesn't care because they continue to make a lot of money

Obviously, neither conclusion is desirable. I don't buy the argument that ownership is inept and incapable of fixing the problems. If you REALLY wanted to fix the 30+ year problem you'd spend the money and find the people and be relentless and exhaustive as an organization to fix the damn problem. I never get the feeling the Bears are doing that. We've been a doormat to our arch rival, The Packers, for the past 30 years or so. That in of itself should be an enormous embarrassment to ownership. They don't seem bothered by it at all.

I can't help but think that the Chicago Bears are one of the most underachieving sports organizations in the country. It's a giant market, it's a football city, the fans are passionate and engaged, the organization does have a proud history even though it's now borderline ancient history. The fans have always deserved better than what we've been given from the McCaskey's.
I agree obviously but it would be so easy for them to spend a little of their $4 Billion to get some good people in the FO to fix it then they could still make a lot of money and be loved and well respected, most people want to be liked.