Is it time to end home plate collisions?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a former player, I'd say it's fine if the catcher is aware and knows what's coming. Like poodski said, if the catcher is unaware, has his head down, doesn't even have the ball, then disallow it. This situation reminds me a lot of the situation in hockey with headhunters.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I caught some in high school and it's just part of the game. I think I only ever got barreled over once, obviously nothing as serious as what happened to Posey, but it's just part of the position. And it was a close play, just like what happened the other day. It honestly just happens so fast a lot of the time you can't tell if the catcher has the ball or not. If he's in between the runner and the plate, the runner has the right (might not be the best term?) to get past him. Just like if you're a SS/ 2B you're going to be slid into in attempt to break up a double play. And it's not like it was a dirty play from what I saw, it didn't seem like head hunting... Posey sort of turned into the worst of it. Just part of the game.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn't defenseless. It was a clean hit but...it's a tough call. I say just keep it and don't change the rule.

But I thought he coulda gone in sliding and still be safe. If he went the back way.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn't defenseless. It was a clean hit but...it's a tough call. I say just keep it and don't change the rule.

But I thought he coulda gone in sliding and still be safe. If he went the back way.

:rimshot: :smug2: :nelson: :bowrofl: :peeking:

DTTCyrax

Liked Posts:
He was expecting a slide tag, and not a collision at the plate. He never blocked the plate, so the runner should have at least slid for the plate, and not, in my opinion, cheap shot a player who doesn't expect a hit. Is it clean? Debatable, but I say no. Is it time to end plate blocking? Again, no because sometimes catchers do block the plate and expect to be hit. It's a difference of is he aware of a charge or a tag-out situation? It's up for grabs, but don't change the rules.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
What else do we take out of baseball games then? Home runs, stealing, double plays. Sheesh.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was reading It’s Time to End Home Plate Collisions | FanGraphs Baseball and got me thinking should they really be disallowed?

My take on it is if the catcher is blocking the plate then they should be fair game, but a player should not be allowed to go after a defenseless catcher.

What are your thoughts?

Sure. Go ahead and turn the league into rec league softball.

There was nothing dirty about that play. In fact, it was Posey's fault for being on his knees.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ive been railroaded as a catcher.. yeah it sucks for a few minutes but its a contact sport..

grow a penis and play.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely not.

And in no way should this debate have sparked from Posey's injury.