Is Jaylon Jones Poles next UDFA GEM

msadows

Liked Posts:
and for much of that he wasn't good

IDK

He has an 87 overall passer rating against on pro-football-reference. Think thats better than any bear DB not named Eddie Jackson this year.

Guess you can find a stat to fit any argument tho. So far I haven't noticed him make too many dumb/bad plays, whereas I noticed #6 looking like trash nonstop the first few weeks of the season.

Anything under 100 I'll take as Kindle Vildor was at like 136 last year.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Obviously kyler Gordon has really stepped up his game but with Jaylon Johnson being injured Jaylon Jones has gotten more reps.

Jones initially got ST reps, but he seems to have outplayed Vildor and has worked his way into the starting roster.

He has looked pretty good imo for a UDFA and is developing into a starter. He could very well develop into the 3rd CB and start alongside Johnson if the intent is to play gordon at the nickel.

This guy is my early #calledit for most under appreciated bear on the roster and most improved player going into next year.
I think he's a player as well as Blackwell but I think Gordon stays outside not nickel.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Also I forgot Elijah Hicks as a safety, smart player with a future.
This is not the place for Elijah hicks or Blackwell discussion.

Please keep it to most under appreciated player Jaylon Jones.

Thx in advance!!

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He is going to get a chance to earn the starting spot, with Gordon and JJ already solidified in their roles.

The most likely competition will be Vildor, unless Poles seeks a massive upgrade in FA. I say that because I think the best way to evaluate how good our current DBs can be in this system is to maximize the pass rush. Therefore, the focus will be to get starters on the DL and "competition upgrades" in the complementary positions.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Also I forgot Elijah Hicks as a safety, smart player with a future.
There are a few open memberships in the fanclub, should you be interested in applying

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
He is going to get a chance to earn the starting spot, with Gordon and JJ already solidified in their roles.

The most likely competition will be Vildor, unless Poles seeks a massive upgrade in FA. I say that because I think the best way to evaluate how good our current DBs can be in this system is to maximize the pass rush. Therefore, the focus will be to get starters on the DL and "competition upgrades" in the complementary positions.

With Jones, Vildor, and Blackwell, the Bears have some very excellent depth. All three are quite underappreciated, and Vildor, I think, was making the most of a clean slate. My big question is, "How much do you want to commit to Jaylon Johnson, who can't get picks?" Johnson's very good at breaking passes up - but if HITS is the philosophy, and Johnson can't get the turnovers... is it not better to look to a replacement?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I never get caught up on guys who look halfway decent for short stretches. But he at least looks better than Vildor so at least there's somewhat of an upgrade there but you need better.
I disagree he looked horrifying bad but has improved a bit... Once Jaylon Jones starts getting turnovers and playing better in the run game that's when you can say he looks better because vildors run defense has improved significantly this season.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I disagree he looked horrifying bad but has improved a bit... Once Jaylon Jones starts getting turnovers and playing better in the run game that's when you can say he looks better because vildors run defense has improved significantly this season.
Why does he need turnovers when Vildor has forced one in 3 seasons? Vildor sucks. He's always sucked. He showed a short stretch earlier this season where he wasnt worthless and that is gone. Good for him on his handful of open field tackles but its time for someone else to either improve or get replaced by the next guy.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Why does he need turnovers when Vildor has forced one in 3 seasons? Vildor sucks. He's always sucked. He showed a short stretch earlier this season where he wasnt worthless and that is gone. Good for him on his handful of open field tackles but its time for someone else to either improve or get replaced by the next guy.
I didn't say he needed them but it would help his cause. It's crazy you think anyone on this secondary isn't going to look like shit with the invisible Dline. This time you speak of has been happening with Jones and for a while. Once he shows he can tackle better and get turnovers that's when you'll see a real change in depth chart.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I didn't say he needed them but it would help his cause. It's crazy you think anyone on this secondary isn't going to look like shit with the invisible Dline. This time you speak of has been happening with Jones and for a while. Once he shows he can tackle better and get turnovers that's when you'll see a real change in depth chart.
Whoa pass rush helps guys in the secondary look better? I had no clue. Thanks for the groundbreaking analysis.

Whats his excuse for being awful last season? Season prior? He's a late round pick who has been about 85% bad to 15% good. Why are people so obsessed with defending him? He's not good. Next guys turn. Sorry.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure I see Poles giving big money to someone like Jamel Dean in FA. I think we are more likely to see him sign someone mid-tier like Byron Murphy and draft a CB in the mid rounds.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
With Jones, Vildor, and Blackwell, the Bears have some very excellent depth. All three are quite underappreciated, and Vildor, I think, was making the most of a clean slate. My big question is, "How much do you want to commit to Jaylon Johnson, who can't get picks?" Johnson's very good at breaking passes up - but if HITS is the philosophy, and Johnson can't get the turnovers... is it not better to look to a replacement?
No I think you are overthinking it. The pass rush is awful, and he is making strides as a cover corner all the same. Invest in growing players.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let’s create a pact to never discuss Vildor again. He’s fucking horrible and if he’s on the field the Bears will continue to be pretenders. Thanks.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The Bears shouldn’t assume any positional group is set and should encourage as much competition as possible. This isn’t hard
Yes but you can’t possible fix EVERY position on the team. They have to allocate resources to the biggest gaps

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Whoa pass rush helps guys in the secondary look better? I had no clue. Thanks for the groundbreaking analysis.

Whats his excuse for being awful last season? Season prior? He's a late round pick who has been about 85% bad to 15% good. Why are people so obsessed with defending him? He's not good. Next guys turn. Sorry.
Lmfao it's like you're talking to yourself. No one is defending vildor as much as staying the obvious. it's the process and the state of the players we have on the team. You're literally creating a narrative and arguing a point that no one is even talking about. Stick to Jaylon Jones vs Kendall vildor or stfu you dumbfuck.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Lmfao it's like you're talking to yourself. No one is defending vildor as much as staying the obvious. it's the process and the state of the players we have on the team. You're literally creating a narrative and arguing a point that no one is even talking about. Stick to Jaylon Jones vs Kendall vildor or stfu you dumbfuck.
This is a Jaylon jones appreciation thread. I haven’t seen a single person show appreciation for this player so …. I don’t see what’s so obvious about this thread