Is Monty gone after this season?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Averaging around 1000 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving over his 3 years with the Bears, the best word to describe Monty is solid. No complaints, no contract gripes, no off the field problems, just a guy quietly doing his job in a pretty messy offense.

Would you want Monty back on a multiyear contract and at what price?

At the 5-7 million/year range, a dependable back that is a great teammate would not be a bad deal.. but do you want to invest in a RB that is not dynamic? Can you not get similar production out of another mid round pick and save the salary?

Monty really deserves to be re-signed, but I don't know if that is in the best interests of the Bears. Contending teams that lose their starting RB to injury may be interested in a deadline deal for a mid-round pick as well.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Averaging around 1000 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving over his 3 years with the Bears, the best word to describe Monty is solid. No complaints, no contract gripes, no off the field problems, just a guy quietly doing his job in a pretty messy offense.

Would you want Monty back on a multiyear contract and at what price?

At the 5-7 million/year range, a dependable back that is a great teammate would not be a bad deal.. but do you want to invest in a RB that is not dynamic? Can you not get similar production out of another mid round pick and save the salary?

Monty really deserves to be re-signed, but I don't know if that is in the best interests of the Bears. Contending teams that lose their starting RB to injury may be interested in a deadline deal for a mid-round pick as well.
To play devils advocate, he got those numbers behind an abysmal OL and with a coach who would rather throw the ball 50 times than muck it up and actually give the team a chance to win. The same moran who actually said he wasn’t brought here to run I formation

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If they get some bruisers on the offensive line in this draft and Teven Jenkins pans out I could see him having a monster season. I'm not at all opposed to paying him, either. The Bears have the cap flexibility and I don't think runningbacks as good as him can reliably be found after the top fifty or so picks. I don't question his durability or offseason work ethic, so the risk is relatively low.

The way I see it is you pay the guy as a way of buying back your second or third round pick in 2023. If David Montgomery departs in free agency it will likely create a pretty pressing need at the position and the Bears will likely have to part with a draft pick to address it.

And I just flat out like the guy and the way he plays. Would like to see him stay in the uniform, I'm not unbiased when it comes to Montgomery.

Canth

Liked Posts:
With no big picture considerations, I would love to have Monty back on a multiyear deal. However, the reality of the NFL is that runningback is one of the most replaceable positions on the team. You can find solid ones in nearly the entire draft and certainly in the middle rounds.

So, while I would like him back, I would not be at all surprised if they let him go and just drafted another one in the 3rd or 4th round. Obviously, a lot will have to do with his production in the Getsy offense.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I’d do it in a heartbeat if it could get done for 5-7m a year. We will have the cap space next season, and still a lot of the roster in need of improvements. Why make a hole if you don’t need to…
To play devils advocate, he got those numbers behind an abysmal OL and with a coach who would rather throw the ball 50 times than muck it up and actually give the team a chance to win. The same moran who actually said he wasn’t brought here to run I formation

If they get some bruisers on the offensive line in this draft and Teven Jenkins pans out I could see him having a monster season. I'm not at all opposed to paying him, either. The Bears have the cap flexibility and I don't think runningbacks as good as him can reliably be found after the top fifty or so picks. I don't question his durability or offseason work ethic, so the risk is relatively low.

The way I see it is you pay the guy as a way of buying back your second or third round pick in 2023. If David Montgomery departs in free agency it will likely create a pretty pressing need at the position and the Bears will likely have to part with a draft pick to address it.

And I just flat out like the guy and the way he plays. Would like to see him stay in the uniform, I'm not unbiased when it comes to Montgomery.
The way I look at it is that he is a team leader that won't cost more than 7 mil a year. That's not a lot for what he brings. As mentioned, he was able to be productive with that clown Nagy leading the show.

He has gotten faster and is poised to break out. Pay the man.

Now, we should consistently keep drafting or signing a Priority UDFA a RB every year so that we can have a good committee with which to run the ball and keep from overly relying upon Monty. But, having said that, the committee should only be there to elevate Monty's game.

Yup, pay the man.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Oh, definitely. I think Roquan's gone too. All the guys who otherwise would command sizeable contracts will be gone.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going 60 40 he will be an free agent. Mostly because people don't pay for backs on second contracts. But it more so depends on how they value Herbert too. If they think he can be the guy, the writing will be in the wall.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Oh, definitely. I think Roquan's gone too. All the guys who otherwise would command sizeable contracts will be gone.
Yeah so far Poles is showing a complete lack of respect for current players.

They are going to have to ball out to get a new deal.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I actually would probably re-sign him. Bears Twitter likes to say that he may not be a fit for the outside zone scheme and Herbert may be a better fit, but I think Montgomery will be fine. He's a leader on offense and he's a guy that has always done whatever was asked of him. He got faster, got better in the pass game, got better pass blocking.

The Bears will have a lot of cap space next year, and they gotta pay people. I think they can justify paying Montgomery with 0 big contracts on offense (Whitehair likely will be gone). And RB contracts actually aren't that bad for players near Monty's level.

Aaron Jones and Joe Mixon both got 4 years/48Mil. 12Mil AAV seems like an overpay, but Mixon only got 10M guaranteed and 13Mil guaranteed for Jones. Mixon's contract in particular is a bargain, if the Bengals want it to be. Cap hits 8.4M, 11.4M, 12.85M, 13.1M, but they can cut him after the 2022 season with 5.5Mil dead, while saving 7M to cut him. If Montgomery would agree to a deal like this, I would sign him before it gets to next offseason. You could even give him a bigger cap hit in 2023 because the cap space will be there.

bufordht

Liked Posts:

To play the devil's advocate's advocate, Herbert looked pretty decent at times in the same situation. Does a competent offensive coordinator enable Herbert to show Montgomery is expendable?

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see what you’re saying, but if roquan is lights out in this D, re-sign is a must

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yeah so far Poles is showing a complete lack of respect for current players.

They are going to have to ball out to get a new deal.
He actually showed a ton of respect for Mack to trade him to a perfect situation for him (warm weather, old DC he worked great with, winning team, another great pass rusher opposite of him).

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I'd say franchise tag him, then let him go the next year when they can get a comp pick for him.

It's all about comp picks guys.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd say franchise tag him, then let him go the next year when they can get a comp pick for him.

It's all about comp picks guys.
10 mil is a pretty big overpay. Zeke has the franchise tag number for running backs a little skewed

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
To play the devil's advocate's advocate, Herbert looked pretty decent at times in the same situation. Does a competent offensive coordinator enable Herbert to show Montgomery is expendable?
Not at only 5-7 mil a year. I like the committee approach and Herbert isn’t as good of a receiver as Monty, who was grossly under used in the aspect, IMO

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If they decide to keep him I’m cool with it on a 3 year deal tops. It’s not worth it passed that

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Depends on the asking price but Herbert looked good in his 4 starts - 4.4 ypc 86 ypg. Would really like to see more of what Herbert can do before you make a decision on Montgomery. Tough to justify spending big cap dollars on Monty if Khalil is an adequate and cheap alternative who is locked up for <$1M AAV for the next 3 seasons.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You need more than one guy in the backfield. Herbert as your number two for the rest of his rookie contract while Montgomery plays out his veteran deal for two years is probably not a bad situation to have. You can believe in Khalil Herbert and still want to pay David Montgomery.

Bust

Liked Posts:
1,000 yards is nothing in a 17 game season.

PLUG AND PLAY