Is Patrick Kane the Most Overrated Player in the NHL?

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kane is a good player no doubt, but is he anywhere near a great player? Kane was someone who was seen as one of the better American players, if not, the best...a sure lock for the team. He turned out to be the most irrelevant piece on the USA roster.The American with the most points in the NHL, couldn't get any sort of consistent good-play (from what I saw, I did not see every single minute of team USA). No goals, and a couple assists which he didn't do much.

Kane committed a penalty with 1 second left in a period in the Olympics(I believe in the offensive zone, not sure). This isn't abnormal for him, he committed another penalty with the Hawks in the offensive zone late in the third up a goal, giving the tying goal..and losing of course in OT. Of course, he doesn't commit a lot of penalties, he usually doesn't bother engaging, but this is just to show is low IQ.

He also is very turnover prone, making nonchalant passes that lead to breakaways. Also nonchalantly, skating up and down the ice. What does a Kane at full speed even look like? He slowly glides into both zones as if he is too important to give up too much energy. Kind of how a LeBron goes down the court in the 2nd quarter attitude. Although, when it matters LeBron shows much more heart.

All of this gets ignored because the occasional spin-o-rama or puck handling. Or the lucky goal he got against the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. Or his shootouts whom he's forgotten how to take. His points total making him look good, despite it being fluctuated by playing max minutes on the PP, playing only in the offensive zone, playing among some of the world's best, and giving no effort defensively. Unlike Toews and Hossa, who do everything, I wouldn't give up 1 Toews for 10 Kanes.

If I said things that don't make sense, and I probably did, just put up with me because I'm a little upset with the last few days of hockey.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Not sure it is fair to judge a player based on how they play in some exhibition games. You have to remember that there is no chemistry on any of these rosters due to the fact that they show up and just start playing.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm fully expecting Patrick Kane to return from the disappointment of the Olympics and set the league on fire.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sure, he looked a bit lost out there at times. Sure, he didn't score. But does that make him overrated? No.

SMALL SAMPLE SIZE BRO

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I expected more outta Kane in this tourney on big ice.

Wasn't awful, but I just expected alot better.

I personally vote Captain "No Show" Parise as one of the most overrated hockey players.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Wonders if this is even worth replying to?

An assist as good as a goal ...

Putting a guy like Kane on the third line ... and building your team of bigger guys ... some pretty odd decisions there -but I hardly think that you can blame Kane for that.

I imagine he was one of the higher scoring US players in the tournament... but then again it isn't like the team was all that crash hot anyway -but then again I guess you had to actually watch the games - no hockey team is ever made up of one guy ... not even the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's.

You don;t put Kane on a line with a couple other of high fliers- or what passes for that on the US roster -you are not really going to get Kane - more like a guy on a leash.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didn't see every minute of every game but from what I saw, Kane was one of the few US players making anything happen out there. Ok, he didn't score but any NHL scorer will tell you they only worry when they stop getting scoring chances. The list of problems with this team places Kaner much closer to the bottom than the top.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Is his name Sidney Crosby?

Then no, he's not the most overrated player

:shifty:

:X

shit-storm-meme-generator-thar-be-a-shitstorm-a-brewin-b018cc.jpg

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Actually the most over-rated player is still John Scott ... just the mere fact that he is employed in the NHL is proof of that.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say if he is overrated but he has played like shit recently for both the Hawks and Team USA

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually the most over-rated player is still John Scott ... just the mere fact that he is employed in the NHL is proof of that.

John Scott? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

He has skeeeeeeeeeellllzzz.

john-scott-goon-poster-207x300.png

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
I think the OP was way over the top in chronicling the supposed shortcomings of Kane. If he hasn't proven what a clutch player he is by now to some people, then those people have an agenda and won't be convinced no matter what. He is in a goal scoring slump - it happens to all players. The two USA games I saw, he was one of the best, if not the best forward on the US team. He was backchecking and playing well all over the ice, but because he didn't score a goal in the Olympics and then got frustrated in the bronze medal game (along with some of the other USA players), all of a sudden what he has done during his career is forgotten and he's overrated. Unbelievable!

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright guys, have a little mercy on me. Was just upset over Kane and Team USA, and sometimes Kane can frustrate people. Obviously, he isn't the most overrated player in the NHL, that was a bit over the top lol.

I would disagree with DieHardFan about him playing well, but that is all behind us. Onward to the NHL season and the playoffs.

And, to southern_cross_116:

scott-eyebrows-e1305752023880.jpg

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kane is a good player no doubt, but is he anywhere near a great player? Kane was someone who was seen as one of the better American players, if not, the best...a sure lock for the team. He turned out to be the most irrelevant piece on the USA roster.The American with the most points in the NHL, couldn't get any sort of consistent good-play (from what I saw, I did not see every single minute of team USA). No goals, and a couple assists which he didn't do much.

Kane committed a penalty with 1 second left in a period in the Olympics(I believe in the offensive zone, not sure). This isn't abnormal for him, he committed another penalty with the Hawks in the offensive zone late in the third up a goal, giving the tying goal..and losing of course in OT. Of course, he doesn't commit a lot of penalties, he usually doesn't bother engaging, but this is just to show is low IQ.

He also is very turnover prone, making nonchalant passes that lead to breakaways. Also nonchalantly, skating up and down the ice. What does a Kane at full speed even look like? He slowly glides into both zones as if he is too important to give up too much energy. Kind of how a LeBron goes down the court in the 2nd quarter attitude. Although, when it matters LeBron shows much more heart.

All of this gets ignored because the occasional spin-o-rama or puck handling. Or the lucky goal he got against the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. Or his shootouts whom he's forgotten how to take. His points total making him look good, despite it being fluctuated by playing max minutes on the PP, playing only in the offensive zone, playing among some of the world's best, and giving no effort defensively. Unlike Toews and Hossa, who do everything, I wouldn't give up 1 Toews for 10 Kanes.

If I said things that don't make sense, and I probably did, just put up with me because I'm a little upset with the last few days of hockey.

Trading him to the RANGERS for NOTHING really makes it seem so but no, he's still a very talented player, and the best Blackhawk of all time.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bro i posted that literally a decade ago and i dont even remember what the hell i was talking about or what the hell i was saying lol.

idk what was going on thru my brain 10 years ago, but yeah, i love kane, wish him the best of luck