Is Peter Skoronski a guard or tackle in the NFL

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Does this look like a high end left tackle prospect? He misses a lot of blocks here

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
defensive line is easily the biggest issue on the team. i know the draft offense guys will hate it but it needs a huge upgrade

It's safer too IMO. Nothing worse than failing with first pick for a Kevin White/ David Terrell/ Gabe Carimi/ Chris Williams/ Cedric Benson/ Cade McNown/ Mitchell Trubisky type pick. Just go Defense Baby! Then follow up with safer 2nd round offensive players!

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Maybe a RT, looks better suited to guard in my opinion.

People have compared him to Slater because they're similar in size, play at the same school and some suggested Slater was better suited to guard, but that's a lazy opinion. They're totally different prospects. Slater is very athletic and really would have been a top 10 pick for sure if he had the prototypical height/arm length.

Skoronski has heavy feet and doesn't move very well. Excellent technique, good strength. But I have a hard time seeing him as a left tackle in the NFL.
For the record, I hope they address DL with Carter. But Skoronski is next for me.

All this talk about poor movement skills, agility, etc. I’ve read a few scouting reports that have said that, and many others that don’t say that.

Which leaves it to the eye test. Hundreds of drop back sets and he had kept his QB clean, aside from a few pressures.

Maybe he goes to G, but there is absolutely nothing on his tape that suggests he has to.

Forget the measurables. His play has been absolutely elite. That’s the best scouting report out there.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He completely locked up and took the DE on almost every single play where he engaged him
I agree. I don’t think this is the best video example to suggest he’s not an excellent prospect.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Oddly enough yes. Generally there is a high probability that draft prospects will currently be in college as opposed to the NFL.

Yeah, right, because college production always equals NFL success. That's all it takes to evaluate prospects. Just look at their stats.

See, I can be sarcastically dismissive too. Really adds to the discourse, doesn't it?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I agree. I don’t think this is the best video example to suggest he’s not an excellent prospect.

Then you're not watching the video. He is a very good run blocker. And when he gets his hands on the defender in pass pro he's very good. The problem is he's obviously lacking the kind of movement skills needed to play LT in the NFL. He gets pushed back multiple times into his QB and when he's trying to block in space he looks like he's stuck in the mud.

He has all the makings of a very good guard. Go watch Slater from a couple years ago to see the obvious difference.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Then you're not watching the video. He is a very good run blocker. And when he gets his hands on the defender in pass pro he's very good. The problem is he's obviously lacking the kind of movement skills needed to play LT in the NFL. He gets pushed back multiple times into his QB and when he's trying to block in space he looks like he's stuck in the mud.

He has all the makings of a very good guard. Go watch Slater from a couple years ago to see the obvious difference.
His first two years at LT he gave up 4 sacks while playing 1,500 snaps.

I watched the video and I’ve watched him play several times this year. I believe he’ll be able to play left or right tackle in the NFL. I’ve never seen him give up a sack this season. I’m sure he has, I’ve yet to see it.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
if you draft him hes your Cody Whitehair replacement
LT Jones
LG SKoronski
C ROOKIE?
RG Jenkins
RT Free agent

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He's a tackle. Stop getting hung up on the perfect size. Dude is 6'4" and 315. there are plenty of 6'4" left tackles.

Williams is 6'5" 320...

don't get hung up on the perfect size. Can they execute the position at a high level should be the first thought.

Don't worry, they're not. They saw some projections that have him as more valuable than the pass rush so they're trying to spin it to suit their desire to kill all QBs including the one that plays for the Bears.

I'm curious if Anderson or Carter fit the typical LT role. I mean if they're not obviously they're not worthy of a 1st round pick and should be expected to go somewhere around the 5th round.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The big knock on Skoronski is the length of his arms, which are said to be 32 inches. That is extremely short for a NFL tackle, and so some will project him to guard. The debate about Skoronski staying at tackle or moving to guard will probably extend through the 2023 NFL Draft until his pro team decides where to start him out. While teams are not sold on Skoronski being as good as Slater, the Northwestern staff hyped Skoronski as better than Slater to scouts coming through Evanston during fall training camp.

"[Skoronski's] athletic, moves well, and is smooth," said an AFC Director of player personnel. "He has very short arms, like 32 inches - he plays with better length than he has - but he doesn't have a tackle body and looks more like a guard. Some guys I have spoke with compare him to Jonah Williams and some others have said Jonah Jackson."

I mean, if there really are big questions on if he could even play tackle in the NFL, do you draft him as early as he's projected? I've heard "short arms" a few times in regards to him. But they said the same thing about Slater.

32" for Skoronski
34" for Slater

?‍♂️

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's a tackle. Stop getting hung up on the perfect size. Dude is 6'4" and 315. there are plenty of 6'4" left tackles.

Williams is 6'5" 320...

don't get hung up on the perfect size. Can they execute the position at a high level should be the first thought.

His lack of athleticism is a red flag but I think he's a pro bowl guard. Most the guys his size are extremely athletic freaks like Slater was.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not a fan of this guy in round 1

If Leatherwood pans out already have enough youth; sign some vets in fa or draft ol mid rounds
Wouldn't youu rather have a bunch of young guys grow together as a unit and pan out for years to come? I would

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, right, because college production always equals NFL success. That's all it takes to evaluate prospects. Just look at their stats.

See, I can be sarcastically dismissive too. Really adds to the discourse, doesn't it?

I get it now.....don't draft the successful college players because college success doesn't always equal NFL success...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe a RT, looks better suited to guard in my opinion.

People have compared him to Slater because they're similar in size, play at the same school and some suggested Slater was better suited to guard, but that's a lazy opinion. They're totally different prospects. Slater is very athletic and really would have been a top 10 pick for sure if he had the prototypical height/arm length.

Skoronski has heavy feet and doesn't move very well. Excellent technique, good strength. But I have a hard time seeing him as a left tackle in the NFL.
Agreed. I think he's a guard. He just doesn't move as well as he needs to be an NFL LT. Maybe he can be a league average RT, but I do think he has Zach Martin upside at guard. That grip strength is tough. He gets his hands on guys, they aren't going anywhere.

Like was said, he has short arms. Reportedly, 32". He will get destroyed by long armed DEs, inside I feel he can win in a phone booth.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Agreed. I think he's a guard. He just doesn't move as well as he needs to be an NFL LT. Maybe he can be a league average RT, but I do think he has Zach Martin upside at guard. That grip strength is tough. He gets his hands on guys, they aren't going anywhere.

Like was said, he has short arms. Reportedly, 32". He will get destroyed by long armed DEs, inside I feel he can win in a phone booth.

Is he still a top ten pick?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
He completely locked up and took the DE on almost every single play where he engaged him

Agree. was wondering what player the original poster was watching. He pretty much locked up and stone walled his guy almost every time. He is #77