Is Ross the right guy?

gopher72

Liked Posts:
I confess to not knowing the game as well as most on this blog. But I've been intrigued by the hire of Ross, especially given the current slide and the fact that he had no previous managerial experience. I'm unconvinced that just because a guy is a former player on a team and advertised as a guy who could"communicate" with players means he'll make a good manager. Maybe it's premature to question his ability?

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
It is hard to tell if Ross is the right guy. I have been complaining since 2017 that the Cubs have the wrong mix of players. First, I get Sabermetrics, I understand the old lineup cards have been thrown out. But, if you are going to use Sabermetrics, you have to have the right players. The Cubs have too many strike outs in their lineup to be successful against good pitching, period. None of the players are bad players, but if no one is on base ahead of you, and the guy behind you will probably strike out, you will not see a hittable pitch. That is baseball 101, want proof compare the Cubs OBP with the current league numbers. For Sabermetrics to work OBP is essential.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All Ross can do is put together a lineup....he doesn't swing at pitches a foot outside or in the dirt. No idea how players not making contact reflects on the manager. Ross has done a real nice job handling a piss poor starting staff and has a bunch of 30ish nobodies doing a great job in the bullpen. Ross is doing his job.

Very rarily is it a manager that holds a team back.

This is not one of those rarities.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is hard to tell if Ross is the right guy. I have been complaining since 2017 that the Cubs have the wrong mix of players. First, I get Sabermetrics, I understand the old lineup cards have been thrown out. But, if you are going to use Sabermetrics, you have to have the right players. The Cubs have too many strike outs in their lineup to be successful against good pitching, period. None of the players are bad players, but if no one is on base ahead of you, and the guy behind you will probably strike out, you will not see a hittable pitch. That is baseball 101, want proof compare the Cubs OBP with the current league numbers. For Sabermetrics to work OBP is essential.
You knew in 2017 that the Cubs had the wrong mix of players coming off a World Series win. Winning 92 games and the division while advancing the NLCS for the third straight year?

They also were 4th in runs in the league and second in OBP.

I wish I had your foreskin. I mean foresight.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
You knew in 2017 that the Cubs had the wrong mix of players coming off a World Series win. Winning 92 games and the division while advancing the NLCS for the third straight year?

They also were 4th in runs in the league and second in OBP.

I wish I had your foreskin. I mean foresight.
Honestly, I think it is best we leave your foreskin out of this. But the Cubs, got absolutely smoked in the NLCS by the Dodgers in 2017. The Cubs averaged 1.6 runs per game in that series. Against the league, during the regular season, the Cubs were productive but they struggled against good pitching. In the NLCS, which is what you play your regular season to get to, the Cubs were absolutely pathetic. I do appreciate you looking up the stats though, a good discussion must be based on accurate information.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think he can be a good manager, but the issue is that he shouldn’t be managing any of the players he played with. Boyer needs to do a full house cleaning and then you can see what Ross has to offer.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"They also were 4th in runs in the league and second in OBP."

As usual, the Cubs one of better hitting teams when the schedule is soft and the opposing pitching is average. In the latter part of the season and playoffs they just don't hit. The 2016 year was historic, and every year after the same pattern is repeated.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"They also were 4th in runs in the league and second in OBP."

As usual, the Cubs one of better hitting teams when the schedule is soft and the opposing pitching is average. In the latter part of the season and playoffs they just don't hit. The 2016 year was historic, and every year after the same pattern is repeated.
Can you break down the numbers for me please because they actually were mediocre in the first half and had a great after the all star break run.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he can be a good manager, but the issue is that he shouldn’t be managing any of the players he played with. Boyer needs to do a full house cleaning and then you can see what Ross has to offer.
I don’t think that matters. He isn’t giving anyone special treatment and he is actually extremely hard on Rizzo and Bryant. Ross was a journeyman catcher. He doesn’t give special treatment to anyone

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don’t think that matters. He isn’t giving anyone special treatment and he is actually extremely hard on Rizzo and Bryant. Ross was a journeyman catcher. He doesn’t give special treatment to anyone
Examples?

not saying you’re right or wrong…just curious what you think being extremely hard on a player entails

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Examples?

not saying you’re right or wrong…just curious what you think being extremely hard on a player entails
I mean I can go through articles but seems ge is rough on them to be leaders. Also documented when he played with them. He was hard on them. Those vet catchers are leaders. They stay in the majors that way. Also, why I don’t care to trade Contreras. He is a firecracker and he is built to win. I think he could be our yadi. Kind of off subject but he is the type of emotion and leader for the next gen of Cubs players. Just my two cents. Maddon issue seemed to be the relax style of coaching which works until they get complacent. Phil Jackson was relaxed but he knew when to challenge players.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean I can go through articles but seems ge is rough on them to be leaders. Also documented when he played with them. He was hard on them. Those vet catchers are leaders. They stay in the majors that way. Also, why I don’t care to trade Contreras. He is a firecracker and he is built to win. I think he could be our yadi. Kind of off subject but he is the type of emotion and leader for the next gen of Cubs players. Just my two cents. Maddon issue seemed to be the relax style of coaching which works until they get complacent. Phil Jackson was relaxed but he knew when to challenge players.

got ya. I just think there’s a difference between not giving special treatment and being “extremely hard” on players.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean... the team has been ravaged by injuries this year and wasn't particularly stacked to begin with. The fact he's kept them afloat as long as he did says a lot to me. Also assuming the cubs are rebuilding some anyways I don't really see a need to rush to fire him. Maybe he is the right guy. Give him a year or two

garapp

Liked Posts:
All Ross can do is put together a lineup....he doesn't swing at pitches a foot outside or in the dirt. No idea how players not making contact reflects on the manager. Ross has done a real nice job handling a piss poor starting staff and has a bunch of 30ish nobodies doing a great job in the bullpen. Ross is doing his job.

Very rarily is it a manager that holds a team back.

This is not one of those rarities.

garapp

Liked Posts:
I wanted Girardi, but Ross has grown on me. While I don't like his bromance with Arrieta, he seems to be doing a good job. If the Cubs get better let's see how he does next 2

or 3 years

Bust

Liked Posts:
I confess to not knowing the game as well as most on this blog. But I've been intrigued by the hire of Ross, especially given the current slide and the fact that he had no previous managerial experience. I'm unconvinced that just because a guy is a former player on a team and advertised as a guy who could"communicate" with players means he'll make a good manager. Maybe it's premature to question his ability?

Swap LaRussa to the cubs and Ross to the White Sox, what do you think will happen?

Both teams standings won't change.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Swap LaRussa to the cubs and Ross to the White Sox, what do you think will happen?

Both teams standings won't change.

i disagree. Larussa might be the worst manager in baseball in 2021. He was a good manager many years ago, but the game has passed him by. Larussa will probably be the reason the Sox get knocked out in the playoffs…hell he doesn’t even know all the rules in baseball in 2021. Meanwhile, Ross we know can use a bullpen and matchups very well, as evidenced by the job he has done this season with crap starting pitching…he’s had to maneuver the bullpen all season long. That’s huge come playoff time. Guys like Ross and Counsel do wonders with their bullpens

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross is great at what he does.

This IMO needs to be better addressed at a later date. Jed doesn't even have a GM. The issues going on is based off bringing in new players to balance the line up. And really looking at the hitting coach and making the decision if he is the right guy or is this more so on the tools given to him..

So there will be a evaluation process going into the off season. The team was broken going in. Ross made it work until it didn't anymore. I would say this will sort out with the next GM. Hopefully Jed doesn't bring in a yes man. That created this mess in the first place.

Bust

Liked Posts:
i disagree. Larussa might be the worst manager in baseball in 2021. He was a good manager many years ago, but the game has passed him by. Larussa will probably be the reason the Sox get knocked out in the playoffs…hell he doesn’t even know all the rules in baseball in 2021. Meanwhile, Ross we know can use a bullpen and matchups very well, as evidenced by the job he has done this season with crap starting pitching…he’s had to maneuver the bullpen all season long. That’s huge come playoff time. Guys like Ross and Counsel do wonders with their bullpens

We'll see how the bullpen fairs in the final end of season numbers and how much was attributed to spider tack, lol.

MLB teams need to do extensive homework on future free agent signings cause 300+ million dollar man Gerritt Cole hasn't been himself since the mlb enforcement, poor yankees. lol.