Is signing Suh this upcoming free agency a viable option?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...top-10-nfl-free-agents-who-could-be-on-market

Because it would take a whopping $26.7 million to wield the franchise tag, the Lions are willing to let Suh explore free agency even if he notches a third All-Pro selection. In other words, Suh could be playing for the Giants, Jets, Cowboys or Bears in 2015.

I have no clue if this guy has sources or not, but it's also not the first time I see our name being thrown in as a landing spot for Suh. Is this financially possible and is this something we should do, or should we look to spread the money around on multiple defensive players? I believe when you can get a guy of Suh's quality, you do whatever you can to make it happen, even if DT is one of our better defensive positions.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Doubt we have the cap space. I can see him going to the Cowboys or Giants. He would probably stay in Detroit before going to Chicago.

cbfan

Liked Posts:
He'll take a pay cut to play under the great Mel Tucker. Book it!

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Doubt we have the cap space. I can see him going to the Cowboys or Giants. He would probably stay in Detroit before going to Chicago.

$32 mil + isn't adequate cap space?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Didn't we draft 2 DT's in the last draft? ANd signed Ratliff?

And Paea had a great season and was a #2 pick that we traded up for?

I'm relatively sure DT is not a key area of focus for this GM this draft. Maybe he will focus on solving the QB position first. Cuz didn't he mention that he has buyers remorse for that fucking stupid contract?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
He is going to want a lot of money. I think I would rather spend that money elsewhere. There are more pressing concerns with this team than at DT. I hate going after the marquee players in FA, they just never seem to live up to the contract.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Didn't we draft 2 DT's in the last draft? ANd signed Ratliff?

And Paea had a great season and was a #2 pick that we traded up for?

I'm relatively sure DT is not a key area of focus for this GM this draft. Maybe he will focus on solving the QB position first. Cuz didn't he mention that he has buyers remorse for that fucking stupid contract?

But do you really pass up on a superstar because of Ratliff and a 2nd and 3rd rounder? Don't forget we need one other starting DT and some depth in case of injuries. Paea is a free agent too, so he'd probably walk.

He is going to want a lot of money. I think I would rather spend that money elsewhere. There are more pressing concerns with this team than at DT. I hate going after the marquee players in FA, they just never seem to live up to the contract.

Hard to see Suh not living up to the contract though. Unlike most superstar free agents, this contract should run through his entire prime, rather than just the first . Guys like this don't hit free agency often at all for that very reason.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Only way I see suh being an option at all is if we don't resign paea and some how trade cutler and get his contract off the books.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
But do you really pass up on a superstar because of Ratliff and a 2nd and 3rd rounder? Don't forget we need one other starting DT and some depth in case of injuries. Paea is a free agent too, so he'd probably walk.

Superstar?

He had one good season. His impact numbers have decreased every single season. He has less sacks this year, and was marginally better than melton (if at all) in 2012.

Why pay up for a loud mouthed non-impact player.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

Hard to see Suh not living up to the contract though. Unlike most superstar free agents, this contract should run through his entire prime, rather than just the first . Guys like this don't hit free agency often at all for that very reason.

DT is also not a position I would want to pay big dollars to in a 4-3 defense. The Bears need to be in the mix for safeties like Louis Delmas and Devin McCourty. Also linebackers like Sean Weatherspoon, Justin Durant and K.J Wright. Stefan Wisniewski would be a great add at center. Much better signings than Suh.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
I'll just be happy to see him gone from the Lions :eek:

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Bears would be better off adding 2 above average players then just Suh

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Suh is going to get a max contract, somewhere along the lines of Gerald McCoy.
That is the nature of FA. He's got Jerry Jones written all over him if they can afford it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Suh is going to get a max contract, somewhere along the lines of Gerald McCoy.
That is the nature of FA. He's got Jerry Jones written all over him if they can afford it.

Dallas is super hard up against the cap with $138,796,855 on the books for next season (with the cap expected to increase to right around $140). Romo alone is going to have average cap hit of over $21 mil over the next five seasons (and $27 next season), they are super duper fucked when it comes to being able to spend unless they cut a bunch of high priced guys.

I'm not saying we should spend a ridiculous amount to bring him in, but the Bears are going to have around $32 mil to work with this offseason -- obviously a chunk of that will likely go to an Alshon extension and hopefully bringing Paea back, but they'll still be in great shape to do some work in FA.