Is there a statistic that measures a QB's correct read percentage?

msadows

Liked Posts:
That is just 100% false.

I said he RARELY throws DOWNFIELD.

Once again, I'm pretty sure being 3rd in attempts for 21+ yard throws is not "rarely".

You do realize the screen game is a heavy heavy portion of nagy's system, right? No matter who is behind QB you will see a ton of those. It's what opens up those "rare" shots downfield.

msadows

Liked Posts:
2019 Mitch...
20th Intended air yards per attempt
30th Completed air yards per attempt

So yes, he did throw down field less than the average QB, he’s just miserable at it

This is about 2018.

2019 I already stated he threw it downfield less, which I can get into why.

2018 is how this offense SHOULD look. (Granted a better version).

msadows

Liked Posts:
yards per attempt will always be lower under Nagy.

He dials up way too many screens.

Mitch also improperly reads RPO's and throws way too many of them instead of running. That's his biggest "reading the field" issue. It's also a headscratcher cause he did it very well at NC.

That also heavily hits your YPA.

Stating he wasnt top 3 in 21+ yard attempts in 2018 is just a lie. He threw it deep. This team threw it deep. He just didn't have a high success rate doing it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I feel like I have seen this somewhere but am having a hard time finding it. I feel that this is the primary driver behind Mitch's failures. I would like to see his numbers compared to his peers.

Not to my knowledge. There was data on when a QB started out looking at one side of the field and then turned to the other side which can be used as a proxy for going through progressions but that data is not released for all QBs. I just remember seeing it at one point for select QBs. Mitch's stats when he had to progress from on side of the field to the next was not good from what I recall but cant dig up the data now.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not to my knowledge. There was data on when a QB started out looking at one side of the field anf then turned to the other side which can be used as a proxy for going through progressions but that data is not released for all QBs. I just remember seeing it at one point for select QBs. Mitch's stats when he had to progress from on side of the field to the next was not good from what I recall but cant dig up the data now.

I'd imagine most qb's won't be.

Once again, if anyone can actually not throw up doing so, go watch a packers game. Rodgers does the same thing.

Mitch has his warts but every QB focuses on half field and one option reads on a lot of plays. Mark Sanchez came on the radio and had to educate the 670 the score staff one day because of it.

I think dear sweet mitch reads the field well enough, its not great or anything, but its good enough for an NFL QB.

His accuracy is one of the worst of starting QB's. Thats why his ass is gonna be a permanent backup.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NO and it wouldn't matter anyway when you have QB that takes what he wants instead of just what's given.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Once again, I'm pretty sure being 3rd in attempts for 21+ yard throws is not "rarely".

You do realize the screen game is a heavy heavy portion of nagy's system, right? No matter who is behind QB you will see a ton of those. It's what opens up those "rare" shots downfield.

Wow. Again you are bringing up 1 stat from 2 YEARS AGO that accounts for 64 attempts of his 400 plus.

Nagys offense mimicked Reid's. It’s a downfield offense but having Mitch has his QB, Nagy try’s to simplify it. This offense is built to throw it downfield.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Its really shocking that a lot of what he did well at UNC he somehow regressed on.

Strengths:

Calm field general. Very good pocket mobility. Can slide around circumference of the pocket without having to drop his eyes from their task. When he leaves the pocket, looks to challenge with his arm before defaulting to his feet. Always in ready-to-rip throwing posture. - This was true in 2018, he was excellent in the pocket. 2019 he looked scared and lost.

Delivery is crisp and efficient. Locates safeties and reads their intentions immediately after the snap. Quick through his progressions and will double back to targets if his protection allows him time. - Locates the safeties/linebackers for sure. However, he's gotten SLOWER through his progressions from 18-19.

Pocket mechanics and throwing motion are solid. Tough and competitive. Shows courage and poise in the pocket. Throws passes from balanced platforms and rarely defaults to an off-balance throw unnecessarily. Has all the arm you need. NFL call sheets will be wide open with Trubisky at the helm. - Don't really disagree with anything here.

Can dial up deep field-side outs with accuracy. - Lol no

Ball comes humming out of his hand when he needs to spike his velocity. - He's good at adjusting velocity. Not all QB's are.

Arm talent to whip a catchable throw from difficult angles to targets outside the numbers. Makes the standard "pitch and catch" throws with consistent accuracy. -
He no longer makes "pitch and catch" throws with accuracy.

Ball usually comes out on time. His 62.1 completion percentage on intermediate throws easily outpaces the top quarterbacks in this draft. - Dunno where that went, but okay.

Possesses get-away quickness to avoid sudden pressure from a-gap blitzers with the speed to damage the defensive cause once he leaves the pocket. - Still true.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wow. Again you are bringing up 1 stat from 2 YEARS AGO that accounts for 64 attempts of his 400 plus.

Nagys offense mimicked Reid's. It’s a downfield offense but having Mitch has his QB, Nagy try’s to simplify it. This offense is built to throw it downfield.

You do realize that this is basically a west coast spread right?

You do know the staple of a west coast system is throwing those screens evidently only nagy calls up for mitch?
Then once you suck up the safeties and linebackers you throw it deep?

Its not "1 stat". Its literally the stat that says we threw it downfield the 3rd most in the NFL.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
You do realize that this is basically a west coast spread right?

You do know the staple of a west coast system is throwing those screens evidently only nagy calls up for mitch?
Then once you suck up the safeties and linebackers you throw it deep?

Its not "1 stat". Its literally the stat that says we threw it downfield the 3rd most in the NFL.

No it’s for deep passes not downfield. What are the 10-19 yds throws?

Why are you stuck in 2018?!!

I know exactly what the west coast offense is all about. Reid’s offense, as just about every offense in the league, has some WC elements worked in to the playbook. Reid’s offense is for downfield pressure. Just look at the stats. They throw it downfield more then 95% of the league. You can even go back to 2018, the year you never left.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
No it’s for deep passes not downfield. What are the 10-19 yds throws?

Why are you stuck in 2018?!!

I know exactly what the west coast offense is all about. Reid’s offense, as just about every offense in the league, has some WC elements worked in to the playbook. Reid’s offense is for downfield pressure. Just look at the stats. They throw it downfield more then 95% of the league. You can even go back to 2018, the year you never left.

Because 2018 was the year this offense actually operated the way its supposed to.

2019 it failed and a lot of it was because of mitch, but a giant chunk of it was due to nothing mitch did at all.

I'd prefer to use the year that highlights what he CAN do.

FYI, 2018 he was 5th in the league for intended air yards to the sticks. A tenth of a yard below patty mahomes.

This means his average pass is a tenth of a yard past the 1st down line. Mahomes was 2 tenths.

Once again, its a false narrative you are trying to fuel. Mitch, in 2018, was one of the most aggressive QB's in this league.

Foles is the QB who is a checkdown charlie. He's got one of the lowest yards to the sticks in the league.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, he was 19th in attempts in 18. So not really sure where you're crying about 64 attempts in 400.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Because 2018 was the year this offense actually operated the way its supposed to.

2019 it failed and a lot of it was because of mitch, but a giant chunk of it was due to nothing mitch did at all.

I'd prefer to use the year that highlights what he CAN do.

FYI, 2018 he was 5th in the league for intended air yards to the sticks. A tenth of a yard below patty mahomes.

This means his average pass is a tenth of a yard past the 1st down line. Mahomes was 2 tenths.

Once again, its a false narrative you are trying to fuel. Mitch, in 2018, was one of the most aggressive QB's in this league.

Foles is the QB who is a checkdown charlie. He's got one of the lowest yards to the sticks in the league.

Okay so you continue to cherry pick what years and stats you want to poorly argue. And god damn man stop with the “deep ball” shit. Nobody said “deep ball” but you.

It’s still a fact that Mitch in 2019 was a check down QB. It’s still a fact that in 2019 Mitch rarely threw it DOWNFIELD.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Also, he was 19th in attempts in 18. So not really sure where you're crying about 64 attempts in 400.

Haha this is getting comical.

So he didn’t have 400 plus attempts in 2018?? You are arguing he frequently throws it DOWNFIELD by using 64 pass attempts (14% of his total passes) to back a weak narrative.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Okay so you continue to cherry pick what years and stats you want to poorly argue. And god damn man stop with the “deep ball” shit. Nobody said “deep ball” but you.

It’s still a fact that Mitch in 2019 was a check down QB. It’s still a fact that in 2019 Mitch rarely threw it DOWNFIELD.

Its not cherry picking. Its the only year in this offense that we have that shows how this offense is supposed to operate.

2019 this offense was horrible, thats why we threw it downfield less. A lot of this has nothing to do with mitch.

You can't ignore one of two years just because its was succesful.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Haha this is getting comical.

So he didn’t have 400 plus attempts in 2018?? You are arguing he frequently throws it DOWNFIELD by using 64 pass attempts (14% of his total passes) to back a weak narrative.

I'm saying he threw it the 3rd most downfield. Not arguable.

I'm saying he had the 19th most attempts in the league. Not arguable.

So by basic brain power you could come to the assumption that he threw it downfield more often than most other QB's in the league.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pat Mahomes threw the ball 21+ yards 13.96% of the time. In 2018, you know, his MVP year.

Mitch Trubisky threw the ball 21+ yards 14.7% of the time. In 2018.

But yet all he does is check the ball down.

It's the system. Buddy.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Just curious, does anyone know which QB threw the ball down field the 3rd most in 2018? Feel like I've seen it somewhere but can't remember where.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just curious, does anyone know which QB threw the ball down field the 3rd most in 2018? Feel like I've seen it somewhere but can't remember where.

Get back on your main account