Is there anyway we can upgrade Leno?

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
7 million dead cap no way we cut him. Is it possible to make him a 10/million a year swing tackle? I know that sounds completely ridiculous but I would really like to see this offense next season with semi-capable play at LT and RG. I think it would make a world of difference for this offense.

Stats have him with 7 sacks given up and 12 penalties last season, and that sack total may be very generous. That is at probably at least 12 drives completely stalled by him alone. Considering the average NFL game has 12 offensive possessions per side, that is just a tremendously negative impact by one player. As much as people talked about Mitch, the worst performance this season in my opinion was Leno.

Just couldn't stand watching any tape on him. Absolutely low effort combined with lack on focus and concentration. Nobody cares much about pff but he graded at 58.6 on the season.

I am honestly fine with keeping Floyd and allowing us to use our first pick to upgrade Tackle. There is a possibility with a new coaching staff that Leno starts playing better, but thats a risk I don't feel comfortable taking. I see Tackle as our #1 draft priority, followed by CB and then OLB.
First 2 picks need to be motor graders.....run game has to be present this year...neglect the line again we are in deep shit again.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think it is a coaching issue in two aspects.

1. The RPO leaves the O-line in the lurch. They can not tell if it is a run or a pass, so they really can not block either technique. I think to improve this they need to go to the line with a primary call and an option to go with an alternate. If the primary call is a run play the only option is a pass play. This is obviously a Nagy thing, and to be honest I think it would give Trubisky less to think about, go to the line and make two reads, run or pass.

2. Harry Heistand did the same shit the last time he was here, he took a good line and they regressed dramatically. They have let him go and hopefully Castillo can get Leno and the rest of the o-line back to a respectable unit.

As far as Leno goes, this was his worst year, no doubt, so to hedge your bets, we need to draft competition at Tackle, if they do not take at least 1 Tackle in the second round I will consider it a failed draft.

I hope to see Leno return to form, because he has throughout his career played well, excluding last year.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
First 2 picks need to be motor graders.....run game has to be present this year...neglect the line again we are in deep shit again.

Couldn't agree more. Despite the KC lite BS I think we can win with running game and defense. Can't have one of the worst running games in the league and expect to reach the playoffs.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
hopefully Castillo can get Leno and the rest of the o-line back to a respectable unit.

This is also my other hope, that Leno bounces back. Maybe the mental side was just too tough for him. Still think we need a T with one of our first 2 picks that can take over soon.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This is also my other hope, that Leno bounces back. Maybe the mental side was just too tough for him. Still think we need a T with one of our first 2 picks that can take over soon.

I think if we come out of the second round and we have not taken a tackle we have failed. I know everyone is going to say but what if the 2nd round Tackle talent is not there.....well then reach (here comes the blasting), because it is getting critical that we have a competent O-line.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt the Bears Draft the Tackle in the second round with either pick. I look at this draft and all Bear needs and think to myself that a Weapon in the Middle a big Tight End has to come first and possible a potential LB or Rush end to go on the other side of Mack. With a new coach my feeling is they are going to try to upgrade via coaching rather than players next year so they can focus the limited cap in other areas.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I look at this draft and all Bear needs and think to myself that a Weapon in the Middle a big Tight End has to come first and possible a potential LB or Rush end to go on the other side of Mack.

I don't see an early TE pick for the Bears. They need production now at TE, and a FA fills that need immediately.

On the other hand, with Floyd back next season, they can draft a rush end or OLB and give them a little time to develop. And even thought I really want to upgrade T, arguably TE is worst depth chart we have if Burton isn't healthy.

TLDR: I think it makes more sense for the Bears to get a TE in FA, and maybe supplement that position with a 4th or 5th rounder.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
with a righty qb, your right tackle should be your future LT. I believe demoting Leno to the other side is more likely to happen than cutting him. They really screwed the pooch with these two tackles, Now we need rookies to do the dirty work and win their jobs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This seems like it will be a 2021 problem with the way things are going.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think they have looked at Leno's performance over his career and believe that he can bounce back with good coaching. I also think that they will take a Tackle in the second, assuming they do not trade down.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
7 million dead cap no way we cut him. Is it possible to make him a 10/million a year swing tackle? I know that sounds completely ridiculous but I would really like to see this offense next season with semi-capable play at LT and RG. I think it would make a world of difference for this offense.

Stats have him with 7 sacks given up and 12 penalties last season, and that sack total may be very generous. That is at probably at least 12 drives completely stalled by him alone. Considering the average NFL game has 12 offensive possessions per side, that is just a tremendously negative impact by one player. As much as people talked about Mitch, the worst performance this season in my opinion was Leno.

Just couldn't stand watching any tape on him. Absolutely low effort combined with lack on focus and concentration. Nobody cares much about pff but he graded at 58.6 on the season.

I am honestly fine with keeping Floyd and allowing us to use our first pick to upgrade Tackle. There is a possibility with a new coaching staff that Leno starts playing better, but thats a risk I don't feel comfortable taking. I see Tackle as our #1 draft priority, followed by CB and then OLB.

that doesn’t take into consideration plays called because he sucks like QB rollouts and quick check down passes.

Nagy can call plays that stretch the field but that doesn’t mean the offense can execute. Mitch constantly was reading his left side tackle then finding his receiver.

His first read was sadly his LT

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see an early TE pick for the Bears. They need production now at TE, and a FA fills that need immediately.

Funny thing was, we were both right... even if this was an epic fail

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Massie is older, more injury prone, and crappier.

He will be replaced first.

JimmyMac9

Liked Posts:

I think both will probably be cut this off-season. 11 million freed up by cutting both Leno and Massie. I think we’ll be out of the top 3 QB range in the draft and they’ll take a LT in the 1st. Probably sign a RT in FA.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Not likely - if the Bears are going to upgrade Leno it has to come from a draft pick or a vet min guy that out plays him. Unless the Bears draft OT in the first - it’s probably a long shot that a mid-late round pick is ready to outplay Leno from the getgo.
And Pace would have to find a Spriggs level player given the cap situation who just suddenly “gets it” to be an upgrade over Leno.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
with a righty qb, your right tackle should be your future LT. I believe demoting Leno to the other side is more likely to happen than cutting him. They really screwed the pooch with these two tackles, Now we need rookies to do the dirty work and win their jobs.
Chicago tried Leno at RT...it didn't go well, like, at all. He's literally a left tackle only and he's not even good at that either.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Pair that with the fact you get less dead money.

Anyone who expects leno replaced is just praying for shit.

He costs you 5m to cut, and only saves 6m and change. Sure, thats a decent amount of $$, but you aren't going to find a better LT option in FA for the money you saved on him.

Only way I see him replaced is if we draft LT high in the 1st and re-sign ifedi on the cheap to play right tackle.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The dead cap for Leno is irrelevant since you would get equal performance from a 7th round rookie.

lol. No. trust me, it can get worse. Leno is absolute dogshit but he's also going against the best pass rusher on every team. I've seen much worse LT's in my lifetime playing for the bears. Leno at least can protect on the majority of pass plays. He just sucks balls against the run.

However, since they are basically out of the playoffs they should be trying spriggs out at LT. Doesn't hurt.