Is this a Top Defense?

Where does this Bears D finish this year?

• Total voters

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RDE - Quinn, Robinson
NT - Blackson, Tonga
3T - Jones, Edwards
LDE - Gipson, Muhammed
WLB - Quan
MLB - Morrow
Nickel back - Young, Shelley, Cruishank
LCB - Johnson, Graham Jr
RCB - Gordon, Vildor
FS - Jackson, Hicks
SS - Brisker, DHC

Looking at the above the D really doesnt have a lot of holes. Taking another run at Larry O would probably solidify this as a top 10 D for sure. Also could use some depth at LB and finding a SAM. Not sure if the plan is for Atta to fill that role as surprised he hasnt been cut yet as not really needed on DL.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We don’t even know how all these players are going to be used yet, or who will excel at the scheme. So too early. But it’s not going to be a bad defense…

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I don't see consistent pressure on the QB from this current group. The secondary can only cover so long. I could see this working out from top half to bottom half and not be surprised by either result. Top 10 would surprise me. Bottom 5 would also surprise me, even though I voted top 32.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What I see is a cheap and flexible group that could be top 10 if things went their way and if they sign a better interior pass rusher.

Bust

Liked Posts:
without turnovers . . . no

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
RDE - Quinn, Robinson
NT - Blackson, Tonga
3T - Jones, Edwards
LDE - Gipson, Muhammed
WLB - Quan
MLB - Morrow
Nickel back - Young, Shelley, Cruishank
LCB - Johnson, Graham Jr
RCB - Gordon, Vildor
FS - Jackson, Hicks
SS - Brisker, DHC

Looking at the above the D really doesnt have a lot of holes. Taking another run at Larry O would probably solidify this as a top 10 D for sure. Also could use some depth at LB and finding a SAM. Not sure if the plan is for Atta to fill that role as surprised he hasnt been cut yet as not really needed on DL.

I'd try to add ogunjobi or suh and Hitchens at LB. I'd also still look at a G like Trai turner and try to bring in 1 more wr (Cole, fuller, sanders, hilton, Jones, obj). D could be pretty solid. I'd like them to give the offense enough to be respectable

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Somewhere around 15 sounds about right. Serviceable, but not gonna win you many games. I'm glad they addressed the secondary. I'm worried about the pass rush. Or a 3T that can cause a bunch of disruption in the interior.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
They're an elite 3 technique away in my opinion. Top 15. If you look at what Eberflus did in Indy, there's reason to believe they can be a top 10 unit. He took over a bad 3-4 defense with arguably less talent, without any major free agent signings and turned them around in one off-season.

So, I expect the defense to be good.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Way too early to tell. Even rookies that end up being great don't just immediately play great. It takes time. New system means asking the question how current players will buy in and adapt. What other additions will there be before the season starts?

I am confident the Bears will not have the best defense in the NFL next year. Other than that, I can't say anything with confidence.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Guessing they finish between 10th and 15th ppg defense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't see consistent pressure on the QB from this current group. The secondary can only cover so long. I could see this working out from top half to bottom half and not be surprised by either result. Top 10 would surprise me. Bottom 5 would also surprise me, even though I voted top 32.

The biggest issue last year was not pressure but CB2 and Safeties giving up big plays.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Way too early to tell. Even rookies that end up being great don't just immediately play great. It takes time. New system means asking the question how current players will buy in and adapt. What other additions will there be before the season starts?

I am confident the Bears will not have the best defense in the NFL next year. Other than that, I can't say anything with confidence.

CB and S are 2 positions that historically rookies can excell out of the gate. Washington CBs also tend to excel early as Washington plays a ton of NFL zone concepts and it is usually zone that is an adjustment for college CBs.

They haven't played a game yet.

I am aware.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Impossible to tell right now. But there is talent in the secondary

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Top 10 in what? Meaningless yards or points?

Really hard to guess how well they could play when it looks like they'll have another dreadful offense.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top 10-15. Either top third or top half, yes.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I see a formiddable group. With our two new additions in the secondary, and my high view of them, I think we have a top 15 starting unit. It would be really nice if we could find a way to bring in Ogunjobi.

Sure we won't get as much pressure on the QB, but I don't see that hurting us as much as one might initially think. My reason really has to do with our opposing schedule. We really don't play many elite QBs. Yeah we play Rodgers (with little receiving options) x2, Josh Allen, and Dak. That's really it. The rest of the QBs are Cousins x2, Goff x2, Wentz, Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Mariota, Zach Wilson, Davis Mills, and Trey Lance. Not exactly the most experienced or uber talented group. If there is one position we can suffer and still do decently well this year is a lacking pass rush. So I'm guessing by the end of the year, our defense is actually rated much better than it actually is. So yes, top 15 is very possible. Even better.