Is this Chris Ballard story true?

Liked Posts:
Heard Kaplan today say that when Ballard went in to talk to Michael about our GM opening he said that this was the job that he wanted the most but under two condions. The first being that Ballard didn't want Ted Phillips anywhere near the football operations, the second being that Chris wanted to cut Cutler his first day on the job. According to Kaplan, Michael told Ballard pretty much "Nope, thanks for coming in."

Is this a true story? If so why are they so tied to Ted Phillips?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Heard Kaplan today say that when Ballard went in to talk to Michael about our GM opening he said that this was the job that he wanted the most but under two condions. The first being that Ballard didn't want Ted Phillips anywhere near the football operations, the second being that Chris wanted to cut Cutler his first day on the job. According to Kaplan, Michael told Ballard pretty much "Nope, thanks for coming in."

Was it Ted? Or cutting Cutler day one?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Phillips is there to protect the McCaskey's interest. Winning is secondary

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dont know if any of it is true. What i do know is that they don't know what they're doing. You outsource your decision making to some ancient geezer Ernie Accorsi because you don't know football. Apparently neither does he anymore because the GMs he keeps throwing to teams are shitting the bed.

I said this the other day, there are no negatives for Accorsi if he fucks up because there's no one to fire him. He gets a check, mentions the name of someone who probably complimented his toupee and he leaves you with the mess. Until fans take a stand, you'll never see change at the top.

mecha

Liked Posts:
billboards or shit like tradecade.com.... #profit

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Dont know if any of it is true. What i do know is that they don't know what they're doing. You outsource your decision making to some ancient geezer Ernie Accorsi because you don't know football. Apparently neither does he anymore because the GMs he keeps throwing to teams are shitting the bed.

I said this the other day, there are no negatives for Accorsi if he fucks up because there's no one to fire him. He gets a check, mentions the name of someone who probably complimented his toupee and he leaves you with the mess. Until fans take a stand, you'll never see change at the top.
?

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok i looked. Never heard about the cutty part. Wouldn’t surprise me.

bears

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The part about Cutler doesn't make sense. Any GM taking that job would have been aware that the Cutler situation couldn't be resolved in the 2015 off-season due to the immense cap hit. Kaplan is clearly just making stuff up.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I went to college in Indiana and many buddies are colts fans. They are convinced Ballard is the best thing to ever happen to their franchise besides manning. The Bears didn’t just lose out on a capable guy, they lost out on a premier talent evaluator

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
And Jamais Vus said Teddy is not part of the problem......

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Fun Fact: it was actually Teddy that did all of the leg work on the Mack trade.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"There's always a tweet"

This still makes a lot more sense to be true.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm still wondering how a known quantity and associate like Ballard didn't get the job. I suspect the info in the OP is overstated and that Ballard may have asked for full autonomy and when asked about Jay, said that he would replace him at the earliest reasonable opportunity. Not unreasonable stuff but not what the front office wanted to hear.

Pace on the other hand said, sure, I'll hire any old fart HC you like and extend Jay. This, while handing in his comprehensive notebook of plans with a nice colored pencil drawing in the cover.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Pretty stupid to think for a second that could be true

So you think it’s plausible a guy interviewing for a job started making demands about the president and CEO of the organization? I’m sure that happened.

“yeah, this is the job I want. But before you give it to me I need to make some demands that involve me pulling a power move over the CEO and president of the franchise. Before you even give me the job. So am I hired?”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Phillips is there to protect the McCaskey's interest. Winning is secondary

Not sure it needs protecting since well they are the owners. Do you think a GM or Coach can somehow take ownership away?

From what I recall Sweaty Ted is still there because he helped to secure the stadium deal.