Is this guy a viable,affordable option for backup qb in 2020?

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Niners C.J. Beathard. Will only be carrying a cap hit of slightly over 1.1. mil in 2020. A UFA in 2021. Could be had for probably a 6th rounder. Similar athletic ability to Trubs,so the offense wouldn't have to radically change. We really don't have it in the budget for the guys with playoff experience,so the next bet is to get guys with some talent and starting experience. 1-9 starting record though.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/c.j.-beathard-21846/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeatC.00.htm

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes a lot of boneheaded plays, but has the moxy you need and gunslinger mentality. I like him better than Chase.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hell yeah, CJ Beathard is a fucking gamer!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mullens is the better SF choice imo, but he probably won't be available at a reasonable price.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Please name one Iowa QB that wasn’t a complete bum in the NFL.
This is just horrible logic all around. If that was the logic you wanted to go with, might as well never draft anybody (no matter how good they are) from a school who hasn't produced a stud at the position.

With that said, I'm not going to argue with you over Iowa QBs in the NFL. I should have put my text in green. CJ was a great Hawk, probably not the best NFL prospect.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This is just horrible logic all around. If that was the logic you wanted to go with, might as well never draft anybody (no matter how good they are) from a school who hasn't produced a stud at the position.

With that said, I'm not going to argue with you over Iowa QBs in the NFL. I should have put my text in green. CJ was a great Hawk, probably not the best NFL prospect.

Iowa has a great track record at o-line and tight end as you well know. Logic or not, I can’t think of a single Iowa QB that was even reasonably mediocre in the NFL. Maybe top QB prospects just avoid Iowa. Chuck Long did have a big rep in college but was truly awful in the NFL.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Iowa has a great track record at o-line and tight end as you well know. Logic or not, I can’t think of a single Iowa QB that was even reasonably mediocre in the NFL. Maybe top QB prospects just avoid Iowa. Chuck Long did have a big rep in college but was truly awful in the NFL.
So, by your logic, Carson Wentz never should have been drafted because NDSU has never produced a good QB. Got it!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So, by your logic, Carson Wentz never should have been drafted because NDSU has never produced a good QB. Got it!

Actually, I’m commenting on Iowa’s track record at QB for an eternity. If a big time prospect develops there and is available, I would have no issue recognizing that player‘s accomplishments and potential.
They have an inferior ability to develop the position historically so I look at Iowa QBs with skepticism.

Jkudia

Liked Posts:
There was a lot of smoke at the trade deadline the bears liked him. I could see it.