Is this Ryan Pace's last year as Bears GM?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who knows, but I personally think he gets fired this year if the Bears finish 8-8 or worse with Mitch Trubisky.

What’s crazy is that Pace probably would’ve bought himself an extra year or two if he dumped Trubisky right now and went all in on a Teddy Bridgewater/Derek Carr/Nick Foles, because Bears brass are pretty slow and probably would’ve bought that those guys need more than one year in Nagy’s system to blossom.

But Pace can’t bring himself to admit his own mistakes. White, Floyd, Trubisky—Ugh

As it is with Trubisky, we’re well past the put-up-or-shut-up point and into the deliver-or-die phase.

Just my opinion, but I think Nagy has built up enough goodwill over a short enough time to survive the purge, and he can always argue, “hey, this offense runs through the QB and TE and look who I was given,” whereas Pace has had control of this team for over half a decade and owns it at this point.

My best guess: Trubisky is the starter in 2020, the Bears finish below .500, and Trubisky and Pace get jettisoned, with Nagy on thin ice the following year with a new GM who’s itching to bring his own guy in soon. Actually, I think that’s a fairly safe bet.

wait a sec.......if bears switched midstream to another QB and still went 8-8 you’d think he’d get more time. Why?

so if the Bears shat the bed with another QB that would point to the Bears having major problems other than QB. That should get him instantly fired imo.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
.....and unfortunately this means no commitment to winning a SB. One of the McCaskeys told Jim McMahon this when he was a rookie....that is "just be competitive". McMahon's response was ' why not win it all'. I'll try to find the interview and post it. Pace is just following along with ownership.

It's incompetence, not a lack of commitment. Pace was committed to winning a superbowl, and used the rookie contract QB model to do it. He just hitched his horse to the wrong QB.

Maybe, I just keep seeing to ppl. in the org. worrying about not being wrong and not getting egos crushed. This tells me they're not focused on putting the best players on the field to win. Listen to his recent press conference.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
wait a sec.......if bears switched midstream to another QB and still went 8-8 you’d think he’d get more time. Why?

so if the Bears shat the bed with another QB that would point to the Bears having major problems other than QB. That should get him instantly fired imo.
It depends. If they were 0-6, made the switch and wound up 8-8, that’d be pointing in the right direction.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It depends. If they were 0-6, made the switch and wound up 8-8, that’d be pointing in the right direction.
That’s not what he said.....he said if Pace drops Trubisky right now.....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
God Willing he is fired in 2020. He should have been fired after his hand picked QB tanked and dragged his hand picked HC into the toilet with him.

-He sucks in the top 10
-He cannot figure out the QB and TE positions despite putting major resources into it
-He has 1 winning season in 5 years, 0 playoff wins, and I do not see that changing in 2020.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He will not be fired in 2021 unless the Bears have a Trestman like season.

The McCaskey's love him and do not want to have to replace him. They will only do it if they are forced to by a total collapse.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is really dumb. The best organizations tend to have the least turnover in the front office and with their head coaches. You need great players too and Pace has brought a number of them to Chicago.

Good organizations do not have less turnover. They have really good people who do not require turnover.

Pace has built one of the leagues worst offense despite having a hand picked 2nd overall QB and his hand picked offensive coach.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Good organizations do not have less turnover. They have really good people who do not require turnover.

Pace has built one of the leagues worst offense despite having a hand picked 2nd overall QB and his hand picked offensive coach.

the last sentence / observation is whats problematic about the team. Just to add.....the hand picked 2nd overall QB had little experience and the hand picked offensive coach had no HC experience. Clearly a recipe for potentially not winning.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
10-11 wins in 2020. Pace stays.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

His coach is 20-12. During the 2018 season you had your Pom Poms out in full force.

The same guy also built one of the best defenses in football.

Good organizations have less turnover because they don’t react like fans.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Many? Funny, I don't but here's my overview. GMs get few years to implement but are always judged on their record once they have rebuilt and are calling all the shots with their HC and QB. In Pace's case, he got his HC hire after 3 years and needed to show a big turnaround when that happened. He's 20-12 since then. Context is everything but you wouldn't be unreasonable, would you? Go ahead and argue how winning doesn't cure all. Do you not remember the disaster he walked into?

Lots of pessimists in this thread talking about regime change due to certain impending failure. I'd like to think Pace and Nagy can turn this back in the right direction next year. Lots to hate about last year and I was also very critical of a what became very disappointing. Time for Nagy to have his learning moment. D's figured us out, Mitch became immobile and the playcalling sucked. I'd bet that's all much improved this year. Fingers crossed it's enough better that I won't have to dump on the O almost every game again.

Something else O don't agree with is the cheap QB model. Mahomes is special but look back at SB winner history and see how many have rookie contract QBs. There is no template for that.
Funny emery only got 3 years for his rebuild. But i am sure you have a reason why that doesnt count.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
It very well could be. But if they get rid of Ryan, please also get rid of Ted. Ted Phillips is the one constant the Bears have had their last Super Bowl win 35 fucking years ago.
Ted is doing a great job for what he was hired to do. Make the mccaskeys money. The on field play isn't even his responsibility anymore.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ted is doing a great job for what he was hired to do. Make the mccaskeys money. The on field play isn't even his responsibility anymore.

Ted is doing a great job for what he was hired to do. Make the mccaskeys money.

THIS RIGHT HERE .....BIG TIME.

Side note: Jerry Angelo once said....' he's here to protect the mccaskeys interest.'
These ppl. aren't interested in winning SB'S?

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I think you must’ve misread something, my dude.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly think Virginia McCaskey wants to win a SB before she passes on.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His coach is 20-12. During the 2018 season you had your Pom Poms out in full force.

The same guy also built one of the best defenses in football.

Good organizations have less turnover because they don’t react like fans.

Good teams win games. Consistently make the playoffs. They win playoff games.

0/3

Last edited:

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Pace has been better then most of our GMs. I think Nagy pace Trubisky stay for a long time or all go next year.