Is Wide Receiver the Bears No. 1 Weakness?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
For the offense, it could be. The line, TEs and QB have all improved the last few weeks at play. RBs have been strong all year.

What WR has flashed constantly? None.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No matter how good the QB, a team needs receivers who can get open and create yacs. For years this franchise has undervalued the p;osition and whiffed when it took a rare swing. Comparing the Bears group to other teams, it's clear that any QB, from Trubisky to Justin Fields, is at a huge disadvantage. Yet, this glaring weakness is rarely mentioned.
Why?

WR is WAY down on the list, especially for a QB as accurate as Fields. I get having an explosive receiver is fun, but its no fun if you can't get him the ball...

Bears #1 weakness right now is Offensive line, especially the interior. Peters has done an admirable job, but you know he can only likely do this for one more year. Borom thus far is proving he has the chops to be a LT, and if Teven shows ANYTHING, you have your bookend tackles.

Center however is getting blown up, and the 2 guards we have both have been tried at center and ultimately failed. Both are ok, but both also get beat fairly regularly and are not the type of linemen to just dominate - they are finesse linemen, and I think moving forward, especially with the RBs and QB we have, it should change focus to a power blocking style with smashmouth linemen in the interior.

Which leads me to the other thing tied for #1 weakness - the scheme.

It's been better the past 2 weeks, because the Bears are actually looking like they are moving away from it, but Nagy's scheme has been a disaster since it got figured out in the middle of 2018. Too many plays in the playbook, too many personnel packages (32) vs most teams in the league (12 average) which means play calls come in late, and then the coach takes bad time outs (sound familiar), and most of all, the scheme isn't cohesive or complimentary to the defense - its just a collection of plays with no real regard to the flow of the game.

Replace the coach. Switch to a power run type O line. Replace your interior 3 linemen.

Fields will soar.

Then go get your homerun WR in the 1st round of the 2023 draft.

napo55

Liked Posts:
WR is WAY down on the list, especially for a QB as accurate as Fields. I get having an explosive receiver is fun, but its no fun if you can't get him the ball...

Bears #1 weakness right now is Offensive line, especially the interior. Peters has done an admirable job, but you know he can only likely do this for one more year. Borom thus far is proving he has the chops to be a LT, and if Teven shows ANYTHING, you have your bookend tackles.

Center however is getting blown up, and the 2 guards we have both have been tried at center and ultimately failed. Both are ok, but both also get beat fairly regularly and are not the type of linemen to just dominate - they are finesse linemen, and I think moving forward, especially with the RBs and QB we have, it should change focus to a power blocking style with smashmouth linemen in the interior.

Which leads me to the other thing tied for #1 weakness - the scheme.

It's been better the past 2 weeks, because the Bears are actually looking like they are moving away from it, but Nagy's scheme has been a disaster since it got figured out in the middle of 2018. Too many plays in the playbook, too many personnel packages (32) vs most teams in the league (12 average) which means play calls come in late, and then the coach takes bad time outs (sound familiar), and most of all, the scheme isn't cohesive or complimentary to the defense - its just a collection of plays with no real regard to the flow of the game.

Replace the coach. Switch to a power run type O line. Replace your interior 3 linemen.

Fields will soar.

Then go get your homerun WR in the 1st round of the 2023 draft.

I would like to think the Bears know better than this. But with Pace in charge, I'm not very hopeful.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Last couple years have been amazing for WRs. Too bad the Bears were too busy giving away draft picks and selecting TEs and RBs and avoiding WRs until the 5th.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Last couple years have been amazing for WRs. Too bad the Bears were too busy giving away draft picks and selecting TEs and RBs and avoiding WRs until the 5th.
Hey they've got future GEM Dazz Newsome

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Center is a huge weakness on the team.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Just imagine having McClaurin/Claypool instead of Monty/Kmet.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would like to think the Bears know better than this. But with Pace in charge, I'm not very hopeful.

Dude, you start building in the trenches - that is Football 101. Everything else is a non-starter until you get your QB, O-Line, and D-Line set.