Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Bird said Laimbeer used to put his foot under players when they were in the air so they'd come down and twist their ankle.

One of the dirtiest playoff series I have ever watched was the 1992 first round matchup between the Pistons and Knicks. 5 of the worst NBA games ever from a dirty play standpoint.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Laimbeer was, and still is, a piece of shit. Maybe people that pay more attention to basketball can correct me, but I can't think of a dirtier player.
Laimbeer looked dirty from old film. But, I give him credit he doesn’t care. He doesn’t really tried to had any kind of fact. He just says suck it up. Tbh, it was the only way he could have that kind of career. He wasn’t exactly an athletes dream.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Bird said Laimbeer used to put his foot under players when they were in the air so they'd come down and twist their ankle.

Kobe did too, a LOT in the earlier part of his career, until someone did it to him and it led to a rash of related injuries. John Stockton somehow gets overlooked for his dirty play when people bring up the physical players of the era. I put Laimbeer #1 easy, and *possibly* Stockton #2. Maybe because Karl Malone threw a ton of elbows, people forget what Stockton used to do LOL! Like Kobe, it took a rash of injuries to force Stockton to clean up. Big men are supposed to push and shove, but Stockton's bag of tricks were as big as the prince of darkness.

For fans of physical play, one series is forgotten that easily makes it onto my top 5 all-time. 94 Spurs and Jazz

Bill Laimbeer was amazing at how he could do all of those things and get away with them frequently. But that was a different league, he was just the biggest offender in a very physical era. IMO, the ultimate bad guy in NBA history.

But to circle that all back onto topic, while I internally debate and mostly rank Stockton as #2 dirtiest, Isaiah Thomas was dirtier than Rodman, but he got that special treatment because he's a damned two faced politician-type player. Just like CP3 who people have one perception of because he represents players, but real observant fans watch him swing and hit guys in the nuts pretty much every game (he used to plant his legs between other guys from the rear a lot too, then he has ...just like others mentioned who stopped some kind of dirty move, a rash of injuries with his knees.

Rick Fox got real dirty near the end of his career. That seems to be forgotten. Mutumbo and KG threw rib crushing elbows every game for years. And Jason Kidd... lol, that Milwaukee water incident seems to be the only thing people now remember, but Kidd used to pull out all kinds of tricks.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel bad for Isiah because his legacy was hurt. Now, you could argue that it was his own fault, but he deserved to be on that dream team. This guy beat Magic Johnson and company in the finals, Larry Bird and company in the ECF, and also Jordan in the east. I can't think of many people with a resume like that. Even Jordan admits he was the 2nd best PG after Magic. But wow, those Pistons teams were dirty AF. I don't know where I saw it, but someone said the NBA back then basically allowed more contact then the NFL does right now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kobe did too, a LOT in the earlier part of his career, until someone did it to him and it led to a rash of related injuries. John Stockton somehow gets overlooked for his dirty play when people bring up the physical players of the era. I put Laimbeer #1 easy, and *possibly* Stockton #2. Maybe because Karl Malone threw a ton of elbows, people forget what Stockton used to do LOL! Like Kobe, it took a rash of injuries to force Stockton to clean up. Big men are supposed to push and shove, but Stockton's bag of tricks were as big as the prince of darkness.

For fans of physical play, one series is forgotten that easily makes it onto my top 5 all-time. 94 Spurs and Jazz

Bill Laimbeer was amazing at how he could do all of those things and get away with them frequently. But that was a different league, he was just the biggest offender in a very physical era. IMO, the ultimate bad guy in NBA history.

But to circle that all back onto topic, while I internally debate and mostly rank Stockton as #2 dirtiest, Isaiah Thomas was dirtier than Rodman, but he got that special treatment because he's a damned two faced politician-type player. Just like CP3 who people have one perception of because he represents players, but real observant fans watch him swing and hit guys in the nuts pretty much every game (he used to plant his legs between other guys from the rear a lot too, then he has ...just like others mentioned who stopped some kind of dirty move, a rash of injuries with his knees.

Rick Fox got real dirty near the end of his career. That seems to be forgotten. Mutumbo and KG threw rib crushing elbows every game for years. And Jason Kidd... lol, that Milwaukee water incident seems to be the only thing people now remember, but Kidd used to pull out all kinds of tricks.
On "Open Court" they brought up Stockton being dirty. They laugh about it now, but they all but called him dirty.

I remember Bruce Bowen getting a lot of flak.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I fucking hated Stockton too.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
On "Open Court" they brought up Stockton being dirty. They laugh about it now, but they all but called him dirty.

I remember Bruce Bowen getting a lot of flak.

Bowen, Artest, Green, (and Fox), are more clowns than enforcers when it comes to having skills at being dirty players. These are guys that had temper issues or coaches that told them to instigate. You can make a whole spectrum of analysis with the types of dirty players the league has had. LeBron whips his shoulder into a players jaw then complains to the ref that he didn't get a foul call, his main driving move for about 6 seasons before the new concussion protocol forced the league to crack down. All kinds on that spectrum. Heck, Kevin McHale would do this moving pick from behind guys that were jumping into the key so hard, flew uncontrollably, BY DESIGN, and he would get away with it or just get called for the foul for a good 7 years before the refs started to call him on it. It looked like he was just playing the ball, very smart use of body.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I don't think I relished the bulls keeping anyone from winning a championship as much as stockton/malone.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I dont think any of the Pistons care except IT. IT is over emotional on everything. He does def. blame Jordan for taking his spotlight in Chicago and I think some of his career.

I do like him on "Open Court" doe. He breaks down some nice stuff when they are all talking. He also seems to thoroughly dislike Pippen and doesnt consider him that good.

Explains why he was such a terrific talent evaluator and executive at Toronto and New York

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
OT, back during the Pistons glory years I worked in Chicago for a couple years downtown at KPMG. I befriended a guy that was friendly with the Luv-a-Bulls and one night they invited him out to a board party on the river And he dragged me along.

we showed up late and the first two guys I met were Zeke and Mark Aguirre. Unsurprisingly, Zeke would not even make eye contact with me and couldn‘t manage to mumble more than a word or two. Total dick. OTOH, I drank several beers with Aguirre and he was very down to earth, did not act above any of it and was completely engaging and chill.

For the record, the dickiest fuckstick I ever met and talked to from the NBA was Kevin Garnett, he was even an ass to my wife and kids. Fortunately he was with a complete opposite- a guy that sat us down and asked us about us. His name was Doc Rivers, a true gentleman and a class act.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My buddy used to be a courier in downtown Chicago. He'd do deliveries of documents for various law firms and what not. One time he gets on an elevator and Isiah Thomas walks in. He doesn't say a word to him the entire ride. Then he gets off on the 30th floor, and Isiah is still going up. My buddy gets off the elevator, and as the door is shutting he turns around and says, "Bitch ass move not shaking hands in'91."

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OT, back during the Pistons glory years I worked in Chicago for a couple years downtown at KPMG. I befriended a guy that was friendly with the Luv-a-Bulls and one night they invited him out to a board party on the river And he dragged me along.

we showed up late and the first two guys I met were Zeke and Mark Aguirre. Unsurprisingly, Zeke would not even make eye contact with me and couldn‘t manage to mumble more than a word or two. Total dick. OTOH, I drank several beers with Aguirre and he was very down to earth, did not act above any of it and was completely engaging and chill.

For the record, the dickiest fuckstick I ever met and talked to from the NBA was Kevin Garnett, he was even an ass to my wife and kids. Fortunately he was with a complete opposite- a guy that sat us down and asked us about us. His name was Doc Rivers, a true gentleman and a class act.
As a fan you can never really tell how a player is IRL, I always thought Doc Rivers seemed cool.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A Canadian is choosing live basketball over live hockey?

I know. And I say that as a Bears and Habs fan, both of whom I saw play in their cahmpionship seasons at the time of that Pistons team. I wasn't a Pistons fan by any means. It was proximity. Amazing sport to watch in person imo.

And @ijustposthere , yes Laimbeer was a massive twat.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, my Isiah story does nothing with an elevator, it was just realizing how big he was in high school. My daughters high school team was in a tournament that was played at St Josephs, and its like walking into an isiah shrine before you get to that gym.

Now the latest is he is whining about MJ keeping him off the dream team. I got that little smile Isiah used to have, up until that point of letting Lambeer suck him into that bad boys deal because he could not jump or defend without physically wearing down players. People just saw Isiah as the leader of that team so thats what he gets for following.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I know. And I say that as a Bears and Habs fan, both of whom I saw play in their cahmpionship seasons at the time of that Pistons team. I wasn't a Pistons fan by any means. It was proximity. Amazing sport to watch in person imo.

And @ijustposthere , yes Laimbeer was a massive twat.
The Canadians have one of those iconic jerseys that I hope never changes.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I feel bad for Isiah because his legacy was hurt. Now, you could argue that it was his own fault, but he deserved to be on that dream team. This guy beat Magic Johnson and company in the finals, Larry Bird and company in the ECF, and also Jordan in the east. I can't think of many people with a resume like that. Even Jordan admits he was the 2nd best PG after Magic. But wow, those Pistons teams were dirty AF. I don't know where I saw it, but someone said the NBA back then basically allowed more contact then the NFL does right now.

the key word there is company..........when det beat the lakers they were without byron scott the entire series and magic also got hurt in game 1 and was a shell of himself in a part time role the next few games (didnt even play in game 4)

they beat the lakers but it was an old kareerm, no scott, limited magic.....worthy was the only player left and he torched det for 4 games.