IST: Cardinals at Cubs

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs through 65 games this year are better than the 60 from last year FWIW

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Was thinking some more and i think cubs going after German Marquez makes a lot of sense. People are going to want Scherzer for obvious reasons but I think Marquez makes way more sense. He's only making $11.3 mil this year with 2 years of control after at $15.3 mil and a $16 mil team option or $2.5 mil buyout.

He's not going to blow you away talent wise but he's got a career 3.67 ERA/3.86 FIP away from coors. Ideally I think he's more of a #3 but as a #2 behind Hendricks for the cubs he'd really help I feel. And I don't think he's going to cost an arm and a leg given A) colorado sucks and isn't really that keen to keep him seemingly and B) he's currently got a 4.60/3.53 ERA/FIP. I also thinking looking forward to next year having Alzolay, Hendricks and Marquez would be a strong group to start with. Maybe you bring back davies and then hunt for a true #1 to give Braylin Marquez more time to grow into a MLB starter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wasn't it just a start or two ago you were saying Ross has to be ready to pull him early at the first sign of trouble? You're opinions change with the weather
No. It is based off his trends.

WHIP APR-June. 2.21-1.28-1.00
ERA Apr-Jun. 9.47-1.72-2.12

So it has changed because he has. So my comment was based off a reaction to what has been happening.

David has been yanking him after the 5th for the most part because hitters in general improve after seeing a guy every time. By the 3rd time it is a risky gamble. Not to mention David has a bullpen luxury that allows him to go 4 innings pretty comfortably.

So it really was not about Davies getting into the 7th. That is on David. It was more about Davies would not cost 20M per to sign. 15 might be his contract value. But the results on the field will make you feel that you are getting a bargain.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I missed the game. Was at a graduation party full of Cardinal fans, and nobody even mentioned baseball.

The "Best Fans in Baseball" are interested only when things go well.

I will need video evidence to believe Sogard did something useful.
That's a common theme that I have found between Cardinals fans and Packers fans tbh. Being in Iowa, I'm in a melting pot of random fans across all sports - BUT I have found that Packers fans are also typically Cardinals fans. It's weird. Maybe it's because I dislike both teams. Loudest people in room when things are going well, very quiet when they aren't.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
That's a common theme that I have found between Cardinals fans and Packers fans tbh. Being in Iowa, I'm in a melting pot of random fans across all sports - BUT I have found that Packers fans are also typically Cardinals fans. It's weird. Maybe it's because I dislike both teams. Loudest people in room when things are going well, very quiet when they aren't.
Spot on. This is exactly one of my best friends who is a Packer and Cardinal fan. Weird ass shit.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What I have found about most Cardinal fans is, they love to dish out jokes about the Cubs, but cannot take it.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No. It is based off his trends.

WHIP APR-June. 2.21-1.28-1.00
ERA Apr-Jun. 9.47-1.72-2.12

So it has changed because he has. So my comment was based off a reaction to what has been happening.

David has been yanking him after the 5th for the most part because hitters in general improve after seeing a guy every time. By the 3rd time it is a risky gamble. Not to mention David has a bullpen luxury that allows him to go 4 innings pretty comfortably.

So it really was not about Davies getting into the 7th. That is on David. It was more about Davies would not cost 20M per to sign. 15 might be his contract value. But the results on the field will make you feel that you are getting a bargain.

Davies has underlying numbers that makes you sweat to get through the 5th. I would never want him on a play off roster.

63 hits given up in 54 IP. He is not fooling hitters.

that was your position on Davies as of June 4th.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I missed the game. Was at a graduation party full of Cardinal fans, and nobody even mentioned baseball.

The "Best Fans in Baseball" are interested only when things go well.

I will need video evidence to believe Sogard did something useful.

In a group chat with some close friends of my wife and their husbands. One is a Cardinals fan... the response after I sent the text was "What's up with the stupid cups".

They are CHECKED OUT.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In a group chat with some close friends of my wife and their husbands. One is a Cardinals fan... the response after I sent the text was "What's up with the stupid cups".

They are CHECKED OUT.
Coming from a fan base still doing the wave and mimicking the Ric Flair "Wooo!" at their games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol I thought that was pretty recent. It is incredible how much he flip flops on his player evaluations

Not even flip flopping.

He does good I say he is doing good.

He sucks I say he sucked.

I'm not in the crowd of he sucks because of a 4.00 ERA. I look at the body of work.

When this team started going good I questioned him going forward. For sure. But looking at it over all. He sucked. He made a adjustment. He has been near 2.00 ERA ever sense. So yes I did ask the question 'is he worth going forward?'

A response is yes or no. Not going Trumpanzee and attack the questioner.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not even flip flopping.

He does good I say he is doing good.

He sucks I say he sucked.

I'm not in the crowd of he sucks because of a 4.00 ERA. I look at the body of work.

When this team started going good I questioned him going forward. For sure. But looking at it over all. He sucked. He made a adjustment. He has been near 2.00 ERA ever sense. So yes I did ask the question 'is he worth going forward?'

A response is yes or no. Not going Trumpanzee and attack the questioner.
I like Davies fine. I thought everyone was being overreactive when he started slow. He had over a month of pitching well and as @knoxville7 mentioned you still were having issue with him as of June 4th. So really last nights game changed your opinion on him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like Davies fine. I thought everyone was being overreactive when he started slow. He had over a month of pitching well and as @knoxville7 mentioned you still were having issue with him as of June 4th. So really last nights game changed your opinion on him.

No his game vs SDP I watched it on TV and the Padres broadcasters have history on him and we're very informed on his pitching style and held respect of him. Then on ESPN yet again they did a piece on Kyle's breaking pitch and Zach's. They are polar to each other.

So initially my opinion was WTF lose Darvish to a Kyle clone.

Then spring he was lucky as hell as the underlying numbers sucked. Apr was the wart that was uncovered.

Late Apr Contreras talked to Zach and told him that his sinker had a different action from spring. So they decided to move him from center of the rubber to the left side. After that his May run happened.

That is when I started getting over losing Darvish and decided to accept Zach as a Cub.

It has been a month sense then and to be honest he has superior to my expectations.

So now I am thinking. Kyle is under paid because 90MPH is a challenge. Zach is the same type. You can't justify paying Zach much more than Kyle is making. Kyle is now at 14M per year. For what Zach is doing that is a solid market value. They still have 3 rotation slots to add velocity and those 2 would be a change of pace to teams.

So ya after some time my opinion has changed on him. I do prefer guys that hit 96MPH. Not going to lie about it. But for 14M per ya.

I still see Marquez and Alzolay as the staff aces going forward. Keeping Jake around until Marquez is here is fine. They still need a pitcher. I've said Mathew Boyd for a while now. Add a lefty with a year of control. See how it works out. Extend if justified.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another interesting bit.

SD was talking about how Zach reads hitters from pitch to pitch. Even to the point that they said he is a master of reading hitters minor movements and can adjust on the fly on how to attack them.

ESPN pretty much said the same thing on their bit. They said Kyle was a video guy and will stay in the video room and pick up on hitters.

So that was pretty interesting stuff.