IST: Cubs @ Tigers

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like Hoerner will take over 2B again. Heyward looks to be on the bubble when Happ returns. He should return on Monday vs Nats at home. Moving Bryant to RF would be the right move and let Happ build on his last game pre injury.

Heyward has had the PA's. #5 on the team with 122. Maybe a bit of time off can correct what is going on with him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Expected win. Joc is on fire. Last 15 games. .340/.438/.396.

He has hit .333 vs lefties this year.

So why not lead off with him. The power is down but he is doing a solid lead off sense returning.

Pederson LF
Bryant CF
Contreras C
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Duffy 3B
Bote/Sogard DH
Hoerner 2B
Heyward RF

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jake is back on track.

His last game he got hammered for 7 runs with a cut finger. The rest of his starts combined 10 runs.

His ERA should start dropping because 2 runs in 6 IP has been his line for the season outside of a injured start.

So they have 3 pitchers that can hold their own now.

Williams has been hot and cold. But for the most part David will yank him if he implodes or after the 5th inning. His 2nd start he got blown up then he went on a 3 game streak of solid starts. Then got blown up again. The start after David yanked him after 4. So you can pretty much believe that David holds little faith in him at this point.

Kyle has been lacking in velocity. Becoming a mid 80's vs a high 80's has decreased his effectiveness.
Personally I would lean more on the curve.

20% sinker
10% 4 seem
20% cutter

25% change
25% curve

That way 50% of his offerings are a moving fastball that the hitter won't know which way it will move.

50% is off speed to keep them honest.

But his results

3 solid games 0-2 runs given up
3 games that he gave up 6-7 runs each.
Opening day was a 3 inning effort.

So over all he has sucked. Losing velocity was always going to be a problem with him. What other pitchers do when they drop into the 80's do is develop a slow curve and lean on that pitch more. It makes their fastball faster than it really is.

So the next 2 games the Cubs should take because Detroit is a shit hole.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs today activated outfielder Ian Happ off the 10-day injured list and designated infielder Ildemaro Vargas for assignment.
Happ, 26, landed on the 10-day injured list, May 7 (retroactive to May 4), with a left rib contusion following a collision in the field with Nico Hoerner, May 2, in Cincinnati. In 26 games this season, Happ is batting .167 (14-for-84) with a double, two home runs and four RBI, making 18 starts in center field and four starts in left field.
The switch-hitting Happ last season batted .258 (51-for-198) with 11 doubles, one triple, 12 home runs, 28 RBI and 30 walks in 57 games for the Cubs. In 2019, Happ produced a career-high .898 OPS in 58 games for Chicago after he opened the season at Triple-A Iowa.
Chicago’s first round selection (ninth overall) in the 2015 draft out of the University of Cincinnati, Happ owns a .242 career average (284-for-1,173) with 55 doubles, seven triples, 64 home runs and 174 RBI in 398 games since making his major league debut with the Cubs in 2017. His 169 walks have contributed to an .806 career OPS.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's going to be a great day to day drink and watch the Cubs. Grill firing up soon for wings

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Williams just over the lead of suckiest starter of the year.

Cubs should push him into the pen. Give Steel, Thompson or call up Abbott.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"Cubs should push him into the pen. Give Steel, Thompson or call up Abbott."
Agree.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Here are three takeaways from Saturday's loss in the Motor City:
1. Williams' short outing
Over the next few days, Williams will team with pitching coach Tommy Hottovy and the Cubs' pitching group to dissect what happened in Detroit. First, however, Williams plans on having a follow-up discussion with manager David Ross.
Williams did not expect to be lifted after two innings and 42 pitches.
"I tried to talk him out of it," Williams said. "We talked. I'm sure we'll have conversations again [Sunday] and kind of see just where we're at in terms of what he saw, what I saw. But the team really did a great job today picking me up."
David Ross on 9-8 loss to Tigers

May 15, 2021
·
2:09

David Ross on 9-8 loss to Tigers​

After the lineup spotted Williams a 2-0 lead in the first inning, the right-hander allowed three runs in the home half of the frame. That outburst included a leadoff double by Robbie Grossman, followed by a walk to Jeimer Candelario, setting up the rough start.
"He just didn't look real sharp," Ross said. "He was having to work really hard. Even when he was getting ahead, not being able to put guys away. Falling behind to some guys. Just the at-bats from the other team, there weren't too many of those guys that seemed fooled by much."

The two-inning showing gave Williams 11 runs allowed on 15 hits in 8 2/3 innings in his last three turns combined. He has 10 strikeouts against eight walks in that small sample. The righty tried to focus on the silver linings in the wake of his latest effort.
"I thought they hit executed pitches," he said. "But other than that, it's just looking at the positives. I'm looking forward to these next four days of work."
2. Duffy's big day
After crossing home plate in the fifth inning, Cubs third baseman Matt Duffy allowed himself to smile. After all, it had been 595 days since he last launched a home run in the Majors.

"We were talking about it in the dugout," Duffy said. "There's two ways to react after you hit a homer. You can either act cool like, 'I've been there,' or you can just say, 'Screw it,’ and just be ecstatic.
"It's like, 'I don't do that very often, so I'm just going to smile and enjoy it. I don't care what anyone says.'"

Duffy delivered a trio of go-ahead hits in an effort to help the Cubs overcome the pitching's tough day. All three of his hits came with two strikes.
Duffy's RBI double off José Ureña in the third gave Chicago a 4-3 lead. His three-run homer off Alex Lange in the fifth put the Cubs up, 7-6. In the 10th, Duffy lined Michael Fulmer's pitch to right to put the Tigers behind, 8-7.

"He's been a big spark plug for us," Ross said. "He uses all fields. It's a quality AB every time. He doesn't seem to get off balance too much. He knows the strike zone. We trust in his contact."
3. Thompson keeps impressing
Keegan Thompson came up through the Cubs' farm system as a starting pitcher. Right now, he is not only navigating the Majors for the first time but learning about life in the bullpen and leverage situations on the fly.
And that is fine by the rookie.
"I've always been a starter," Thompson said. "But I'll tell you what, whatever keeps me up here, I'll do whatever they ask me to do."

Thompson was brilliant in a two-inning appearance on Saturday, striking out five of the seven batters he faced. That helped bridge the gap to Kimbrel in the 10th -- an ideal way for Ross to line things up, even if it did not work in the end.

What stood out this time from Thompson was a sudden jump in whiff rate. Coming into the game, the righty had generated just four swinging strikes out of 126 pitches thrown with Chicago. Against Detroit, he had eight whiffs out of 13 swings (four via the cutter and three with the curve).

Overall, Thompson has allowed just one unearned run in 10 1/3 innings since joining the Cubs' pitching staff.
"Listen, we want outs," Ross said. "I don't care if they swing and miss or they hit it at somebody. That doesn't matter to me. ... For a young man to come in and do as good as he has, there's been no complaints here. I think we all know what he's capable of."
Did you like this story?

In this story:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So this really sounds like Williams gets demoted and Thompson gets his gig. I kind of felt that could happen when David yanked him after 4 on his previous and now pulled him after 2. David has little faith in him.

So we are looking at Hendricks/Alzolay/Davies/Arrieta/Thompson

2 Inning guys
Mills/Steel/Williams

1 inning guys
Chafin/Brothers/Maples/Tepera/Winkler

Closer
Kimbrel

Now I do believe Thompson will be given wiggle room like Adbert has been. Mostly because they throw 95 MPH and have upside.

Now if David keeps status que it would be dumb. He has a better option in hand.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty much the squad that I would love to see primarily on the field. I still believe Joc should be leading off but w/e works.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ian Happ came to play.

Hendricks pitching well.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Ian Happ came to play.

Hendricks pitching well.

They gave it to Boyd. His ERA after 7 starts was top 5 in MLB history I think the graphic showed...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kyle's velocity has been between 86.7-88.0 so that is up 1-2 mph. For him that is a big deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Duffy is going for the plunk record today.