IST:Cubs vs Brewers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
While the versatility is great in-game for subbing, double switches, etc., I don’t see the need to bounce Javy around if Russell/Bote/Descalso split 2nd, and Bryant/Bote split 3rd.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I have several thoughts, but the one I would most like to believe is they are floating that idea to maximize Russell's trade value.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have several thoughts, but the one I would most like to believe is they are floating that idea to maximize Russell's trade value.

Agreed. I doubt they have any long range plans for him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think people dreaming of Russell having trade value are a bit delusional. He's far more valuable to the cubs than anything they can get for him. In order for him to have even close to the value you would need for him to be traded he'd basically have to go out and put up his 2016 campaign this year. Outside of him doing that, there's really nothing anyone is going to give you that is going to replace his value. I mean clearly this is a team hoping to get to the WS and god forbid Javy gets hurt as a high effort player the cubs literally don't have another SS on the roster. Russell may be a crappy person but if you're trading him you aren't doing it to just get rid of him because that leaves you with a giant hole.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree. You don't trade Russell unless it creates playing time for Short or Nico.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its probably the same people that thought for certain he would be a perennial MVP candidate.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think people dreaming of Russell having trade value are a bit delusional. He's far more valuable to the cubs than anything they can get for him. In order for him to have even close to the value you would need for him to be traded he'd basically have to go out and put up his 2016 campaign this year. Outside of him doing that, there's really nothing anyone is going to give you that is going to replace his value. I mean clearly this is a team hoping to get to the WS and god forbid Javy gets hurt as a high effort player the cubs literally don't have another SS on the roster. Russell may be a crappy person but if you're trading him you aren't doing it to just get rid of him because that leaves you with a giant hole.
Love your passive aggressive posts like this. Russell will bring back in trade what he's worth, which isn't much. You are over-valuing what Russell can provide should Baez go down. He hasn't hit a lick in 2 years. You bring up a SS from the farm.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why do you seem to think that Russell is a finished product as a hitter?
You're right. I shouldn't think that yet. I should give him time with the latest hitting instructor. I preferred Russell's MiLB swing with the Smokies to what it is today. I don't think his issues have just been off-the-field and getting into his head.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Love your passive aggressive posts like this. Russell will bring back in trade what he's worth, which isn't much. You are over-valuing what Russell can provide should Baez go down. He hasn't hit a lick in 2 years. You bring up a SS from the farm.
Russell’s value if he were to be traded is as low as it can get.
But he certainly has far more value on the field than anything on the farm.
Bringing up a lesser defensive SS in hopes of getting a couple extra singles per week is not the right move.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Russell’s value if he were to be traded is as low as it can get.
But he certainly has far more value on the field than anything on the farm.
Bringing up a lesser defensive SS in hopes of getting a couple extra singles per week is not the right move.
LOL. The defense would be brought up. It’s the hitting that is always behind.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL. The defense would be brought up. It’s the hitting that is always behind.

You can't compare AA pitching vs MLB.

Nico is on the DL. He has 60 AB'S vs AA pitching. That is it. You can't even start to think that Nico will even be close to ready this year

Short is another story but again another DL case. But at least he is at the highest level vs a complete rush job.

Russell is a solid glove as a MI. As long as he stays as a MI I have no issue going forward. Add to it the SS contravercy is dead.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nico Hoerner will step in to play SS and will be Russell’s equal Day One?

No.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You can't compare AA pitching vs MLB.

Nico is on the DL. He has 60 AB'S vs AA pitching. That is it. You can't even start to think that Nico will even be close to ready this year

Short is another story but again another DL case. But at least he is at the highest level vs a complete rush job.

Russell is a solid glove as a MI. As long as he stays as a MI I have no issue going forward. Add to it the SS contravercy is dead.

No. You can't. That's why I said it's the bat that would be behind.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I wonder if all these people who think Nico Hoerner as the "future X" remember when they thought Ian Happ was the future 2B/leadoff hitter?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder if all these people who think Nico Hoerner as the "future X" remember when they thought Ian Happ was the future 2B/leadoff hitter?

Happ has always had swing and miss issues. Nico has had better contact thus far. But Nico has been injured x2 in less that one year. He has 109 total AB's in the minors. Now he also holds a .312/.419/.532 line so you are seeing contact and the ability to take walks.

As a 2B at the majors that is something to build towards. But he would have to get closer to 1000 AB's in the minors to judge vs 100.

Realistically it is going to take 2 full years. 1 in AA and 1 in Iowa to let him mature properly.

Happ was rushed but in general he was a worse hitter. Mechanically he is not sound as a hitter. Has power. Takes pitches and gets deep into counts but lacks a solid contact rate which ends up pushing up his strike outs.

I really don't like him at all. He had a good year but lacks to mental approach to be successful.

Nico is a better talent. Far better chance to become a all star talent with his make up. But he is not close.

Russell is safe right now. I still think that they should end up signing Scooter in the off season for 2B and leading off then make a package deal involving Russell to get a pitching return. By then this situation will have blown over and his trade value will be sound again.