IST: Cubs vs Dodgers

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets play 2 today.

Kershaw and Henricks

Bauer vs Keegan Thompson

Hendricks with a great first inning. Comman was beautiful. All ground balls. Baez with the error and the sketchy play on Turner. He is so good, but seems to struggle on easy plays from time to time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs all over Kershaw. 4-0

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Game is screwy. Kershaw knocked out early.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
May 4th, 2021 at 10:45am CST • By Steve Adams
The Cubs announced a series of roster moves Tuesday, placing righty Jake Arrieta, infielder Nico Hoerner and reliever Dan Winkler on the 10-day injured list. Arrieta is dealing with a right thumb abrasion, while Hoerner has a left forearm strain and Winkler is being slowed by tendinitis in his right triceps. In their absence, the Cubs have recalled lefty Kyle Ryan and right-hander Keegan Thompson. They’ve also selected the contract of infielder Ildemaro Vargas, filling their 40-man roster.

Arrieta, 35, has had a decent rebound effort with the Cubs thus far, making six starts and logging a 4.31 ERA through 31 1/3 frames out of the rotation. He signed a one-year, $6.5MM deal to return to the team with which he won a Cy Young Award in 2015 and a World Series ring in 2016. He’d been slated to take the mound tomorrow, but it appears the cut on his pitching thumb hasn’t healed to the point where he’s able to properly throw all of his offerings. Given the nature of the injury, it seems likely to be a short-term stay on the IL.

The 23-year-old is out to a brilliant start in 2021, slashing .389/.500/.556 with six doubles, three steals and eight walks against seven strikeouts through 44 trips to the plate. Hoerner collided with center fielder Ian Happ when chasing down a shallow fly-ball during Sunday’s game against the Reds, though it’s not clear if that play is the source of his current injury. Happ remains day-to-day after that incident, with manager David Ross telling reporters he’s been diagnosed with a rib contusion after getting kicked “pretty hard” by Hoerner in the process. Hoerner tells reporters he expects to be back from the IL when he’s first eligible (Twitter link via Gordon Wittenmyer of NBC Sports Chicago).

Winkler, meanwhile, has held opponents to just one run on five hits in 10 1/3 innings. It’s a strong start in terms of bottom-line results, but the fact that he’s walked seven batters, plunked another and snapped off a wild pitch suggest that he’ll need to improve his control if he’s to maintain anything close to that output. To his credit, Winkler has also punched out a dozen of the 44 hitters he’s faced, but this marks a second straight year of questionable command in the Cubs’ bullpen for the 31-year-old Illinois native.

Ryan leads Cubs relievers in innings pitched over the past few seasons and will give Ross another lefty to work with for the time being. Thompson, who made his MLB debut when he tossed an inning earlier this year, is slated to start the second game of today’s twin bill against the Dodgers. He’s a 26-year-old back-of-the-rotation/swingman candidate who ranks 14th among Cubs farmhands at MLB.com, 23rd at FanGraphs and 28th at Baseball America. The Cubs’ rotation doesn’t have room for him when it’s at full strength, but he’ll likely be called upon for multiple spot starts in situations just as this throughout the year, when injuries pop up among the team’s top few starters.

Vargas has appeared in eight games with the Cubs dating back to a 2020 waiver claim from the Twins. He’s spent the bulk of his career with the D-backs, primarily in a utility role, and is a lifetime .252/.280/.388 hitter in 300 trips to the plate as a big leaguer. He’ll factor into the mix at second base and off the bench while Hoerner is sidelined.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kyle looks locked in.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kyle looks locked in.
He was magnificent even though Javy had a rough game in the field. You could see from the start that he was painting corners and getting ground balls.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He was magnificent even though Javy had a rough game in the field. You could see from the start that he was painting corners and getting ground balls.

Wish that I could have watched it.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Keegan had a nice outing. Made some mistakes but got some double plays to help him get out of trouble. Guy seems to have some solid stuff

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Keegan had a nice outing. Made some mistakes but got some double plays to help him get out of trouble. Guy seems to have some solid stuff

which is really all the more reason we shouldn’t of bothered with signing jake or Trevor. We know what those guys are. Give the baseball to some young arms and let’s see what we have for the future

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bote has made some really nice plays today. I’ve said it for a year or two now...cubs are best with bote at 3rd and Bryant in the OF

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Boteeeeeeee!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs just swept a DH against the Dodgers.

Against Kershaw and Bauer.

What a day of baseball@

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
What a game. Wow.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I had no faith in Bote there lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bote has made some really nice plays today. I’ve said it for a year or two now...cubs are best with bote at 3rd and Bryant in the OF

.188 BA is sketchy.

Cubs are best with Sogard playing the lion share of games.

If you want to break down 2 line up's. 1 vs R and 1 vs L with the team at 100%.

VS R (not a line up)

Contreras C
Rizzo 1B
Sogard 2B
Hoerner SS
Baez 3B
Bryant LF
Happ CF
Heyward RF

I don't trust Joc yet to get PA's over Hoerner.

VS L
Contreras C
Rizzo 1B
Hoerner 2B
Baez SS
Duffy 3B
Bryant LF
Happ CF
Heyward RF

Bote holds more value coming in in clutch situations. He has a strong history of making the hit when it counts. But as noted .188 BA means he does little more than that. Duffy .270 BA is a far better choice to gain the majority of playing time because he makes less outs.

So when Hoerner returns Vargas Demoted. Happ vs Joc really depends on production. Bryant can move from LF to CF so David can play the hot hand as both are streaky hitters and make far too many outs to get full time play.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was kind of thinking on what would happen if Thompson tossed a shut out earlier. I didn't want to jinx it and finished watching Invincible. It was 3+ innings but still going head to head with Bauer and the WS champs. Kid may end up pretty good and I wouldn't mind seeing him battle some for a role on the team.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
.188 BA is sketchy.

Cubs are best with Sogard playing the lion share of games.

If you want to break down 2 line up's. 1 vs R and 1 vs L with the team at 100%.

VS R (not a line up)

Contreras C
Rizzo 1B
Sogard 2B
Hoerner SS
Baez 3B
Bryant LF
Happ CF
Heyward RF

I don't trust Joc yet to get PA's over Hoerner.

VS L
Contreras C
Rizzo 1B
Hoerner 2B
Baez SS
Duffy 3B
Bryant LF
Happ CF
Heyward RF

Bote holds more value coming in in clutch situations. He has a strong history of making the hit when it counts. But as noted .188 BA means he does little more than that. Duffy .270 BA is a far better choice to gain the majority of playing time because he makes less outs.

So when Hoerner returns Vargas Demoted. Happ vs Joc really depends on production. Bryant can move from LF to CF so David can play the hot hand as both are streaky hitters and make far too many outs to get full time play.

yet, when the big moment came duffys way, he struck out with a runner on 3rd and 1 out late in the game.

bote meanwhile drove in 4 runs in the double header. And made a handful of defensive plays that were huge. It’s not just the bat

dig a little deeper into the numbers and you see bote has a career low K rate this season, while simultaneously having his lowest batting avg on balls in play. So he’s clearly having good at bats and just hitting into some bad luck so far.

for his career, bote is a .264 hitter with a .378 OBP with runners in scoring position. It’s his situational hitting ability that makes him a need in the lineup

but sure, fixate on his batting avg this season in 78 at bats...that’s a much better sample size I’m sure ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
yet, when the big moment came duffys way, he struck out with a runner on 3rd and 1 out late in the game.

bote meanwhile drove in 4 runs in the double header. And made a handful of defensive plays that were huge. It’s not just the bat

dig a little deeper into the numbers and you see bote has a career low K rate this season, while simultaneously having his lowest batting avg on balls in play. So he’s clearly having good at bats and just hitting into some bad luck so far.

for his career, bote is a .264 hitter with a .378 OBP with runners in scoring position. It’s his situational hitting ability that makes him a need in the lineup

but sure, fixate on his batting avg this season in 78 at bats...that’s a much better sample size I’m sure ?

You are cherry picking a bit here.

But his ISO all time low. .125
BABIP .217. Again and all time low.
His walks all time low at 7.7 and his SO are at a low of 20.9

Bottom line wRC+ 63
That is why I love this stat as it compiles all of this info and gives a overall value to a hitter.

Bryant 189
Hoerner 182
Marisnick 157
Contreras 123
Baez 113
Rizzo 108
Duffy 108
Sogard 79
Heyward 72
Happ 67
Bote 63

This shows an allotment of playing time. You ride the producers and make the others situational.

Bote is a PH right now. Duffy holds a 108 which is 8% over league avg production. Bote is 37% under league avg production.

So you can cherry pick stats but more PA means more 37% under.

To max out IMO is to make him situational where he excells. Like high leverage PH at bats or against SP that he has crushed. Then with that extra time off get him to rework his approach as there is something off to cause a complete dump in production.