CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Reds lose again! Division is wide open!

this is my fear...our division is so weak that we will be “contenders” probably past the trade deadline. It wouldn’t shock me to see 85 wins take this division. But whomstever wins the division, will be a quick out in the playoffs

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Sweep ?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
this is my fear...our division is so weak that we will be “contenders” probably past the trade deadline. It wouldn’t shock me to see 85 wins take this division. But whomstever wins the division, will be a quick out in the playoffs
Maybe.... but then again an 83-78 2006 cardinals team won a world series. I wouldn't expect the current cubs roster to pull such a feat given their lack luster starting pitching but who knows man... baseball is weird. Over 3 weeks hitters could just go bananas

Bust

Liked Posts:
Maybe.... but then again an 83-78 2006 cardinals team won a world series. I wouldn't expect the current cubs roster to pull such a feat given their lack luster starting pitching but who knows man... baseball is weird. Over 3 weeks hitters could just go bananas

Good points, it's why you play the games. Look no further then this series. Mets came in with a 7-3 record highly confident vs inept cub lineup, so much so they gave Degrom an extra days rest...only to get swept, heh

Just get in the playoffs, get hot at the right time and anything can happen.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sweep the Mets and now we don’t suck anymore!!!

no, trade these guys come July

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sweep the Mets and now we don’t suck anymore!!!

no, trade these guys come July

I would rather have them fringe and force Jed to retain. If we learned anything from Darvish, Q, E.Jax, LeMeheu and most likely more than this that Jed has been a poor GM and his trustworthiness is shitty.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would rather have them fringe and force Jed to retain. If we learned anything from Darvish, Q, E.Jax, LeMeheu and most likely more than this that Jed has been a poor GM and his trustworthiness is shitty.
Wasn't it reported that Jed was against trading for Q?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wasn't it reported that Jed was against trading for Q?

(CBS) While it’s the on-field performance and consistency of left-hander Jose Quintana that obviously made him to the Cubs, it was his contract that also played a pivotal role in them paying what general manager Jed Hoyer himself termed a “high price” in a trade with the White Sox on Thursday.

Quintana is working on one of the most team-friendly contracts in all of baseball, given his standing as a top-of-the-rotation pitcher who has logged 200-plus innings in four straight seasons and boasts a career 3.51 ERA. Quintana is under team control through 2020. He’s making $7 million this season and will make $8.85 million in 2018. The Cubs hold team options on him for $10.5 million in 2019 and $11.5 million in 2020. That’s a financial obligation of around $31 million for 2018 through 2020.

“They were able to ask a lot from teams because of his talent and consistency and also because of that contract,” Hoyer said in an interview with Dan Bernstein and Jason Goff on 670 The Score on Thursday afternoon. “Give Rick Hahn and the White Sox a lot of credit. They did a great contract with Chris Sale, and that helped them get a little bit more in a trade for him. And they did a great contract with Quintana, and that certainly helped get a little bit more in a trade for Quintana. Give their front office credit. You go back a long way to find those deals, but in the end, it’s those really good contracts that show really good foresight that end up netting them a little percentage more in each of those trades because they had such great contracts.

“If we had traded for a young pitcher who was really talented that had a fairly big contract already, that inhibits our ability to do some other things. I think by getting Quintana, not only can we get the contract, but we also have a chance to go out and do some other things, because it gives us the freedom.”

Hoyer’s reference to “freedom” could mean sooner or later when it comes to adding to other parts of the team. The Cubs have discussed adding a veteran catcher after the recent exit of Miguel Montero, with Tigers catcher Alex Avila believed to be one target. Hoyer also acknowledged that the Cubs — like most teams — are always eyeing another “fresh” bullpen arm

Another area the Cubs like adding to at this time of year every season.

“But now, I think we’ll sit back and watch and see how we play,” Hoyer said. “We’ve played ourselves into a bit of a hole, the way we played in the first half and especially at the end of the first half. We need to play better.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would take it as no and he felt that Q at the time deemed a high price.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let me put it this way.

After they let Flarity and Marwin Gonzalez walk via rule V. Both have played 3B. Then trade LeMeheu (played 3B) for Steward...(tanked out of baseball)

Then signed E.Jax...
Ya his history blows.

At least his drafts are not that bad. Not great outside of the 1st first round but the extra cash allotment means that they can do something at least.

Regardless Jed made his fair amount of mistakes. He got luck with Jake and Strop. The Hendrinks deal, Kyle was a toss in. That was dumb luck because he was a lollypop thrower and still to this day breaking 90 mph is a grand moment for him. No one could have ever predicted that Kyle would became a TOR.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Little bit of my bitterness is I was calling for a Folty signing....well I was on the mark with his rebound.

He would have made Jed look smart vs looking like the guy that was planning to tank and sell off scrap.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Why would previous bad decisions make the bad decision of holding onto a bunch of these guys and losing them for nothing a good decision? What an awful take

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why would previous bad decisions make the bad decision of holding onto a bunch of these guys and losing them for nothing a good decision? What an awful take

They don't lose them for nothing.

Jed can tag all 3 with a qualifying offer. All 3 will turn it down. Jed gets draft picks as compensation when another team signs them.

The draft is a longer process of evaluation where a more educated decision can be made on the pick.

A trade is a negotiation. Most of the time the return will be less in talent than expected.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The best scenerio is for them to hold then after Aug free fall. They end up getting a larger draft allotment and higher pick. Then hit all 3 with offers that add to their draft pool. That way they can over pay for hard to sign high school talent that have college commitments. That is what pushes a talent pool forward. Not taking on what teams deem not untouchable.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
They don't lose them for nothing.

Jed can tag all 3 with a qualifying offer. All 3 will turn it down. Jed gets draft picks as compensation when another team signs them.

The draft is a longer process of evaluation where a more educated decision can be made on the pick.

A trade is a negotiation. Most of the time the return will be less in talent than expected.
If they have any trade value its pretty dumb unless they look like a legitimate world series contender which is incredibly unlikely

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they have any trade value its pretty dumb unless they look like a legitimate world series contender which is incredibly unlikely

If all Jed got was Davies and 4 prospects that you would find common in any system for a cy-young runner up on a team friendly deal for 3 years.

Then watching him drop 2 top 100 prospects like are hot for as he said a great value for a pitcher that demands that commitment.

Look at the end of the day Jed will come up short in any deal unless he targets guys like Arreta that failed as MLB players but had MLB talent to uncover.

I can't even give Jed any credit for Kyle. Kyle made himself into what he is. As far as judging talent Jed failed in the Dempster trade. Klye was like any other college pitcher that did fine in the high 80's against college hitters. Kyle surpassed his limits.

But in the draft. Another story complely. That is a group think tank that takes time to evaluate and negotiate with that players agent.

You may look at as get what you can now. I see it as Jed is bad in trades and filling the system with more 40-50 grade players doesn't create a good system. It is a deep system. Has a bunch of bench players and 4th OF and pen arms. But no blue chip types.

You only get blue chips 4 ways.

1. Hit in the international draft. Jed has been great here.
2. Tank and get a top 10.
3. Have a solid 1-16 pick and additional resources. This is how they got Cease.
4. Have a player in high demand that teams will over pay.

Just because Jed paid 2 top 100 players for a SP doesn't mean that another GM will.

The most valuable asset that the Cubs have going in is Kimbrel. Because pitching is king in July. Add to it a team gains another year.

Contreras is #2 but you normally don't see catchers being hot topic talk in Aug.

Bryant is #3. Because he can play 3B/1B/corner OF. So if a core hitter drops he becomes a nice target.

Baez is hot and cold. I see teams not giving much up.

1B is never a corner market position in Aug. Again it would take a major injury and he is a after though as Bryant would be the hotter topic.

So yes I would rather have more draft leverage.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol @ comparing this past offseason during a pandemic to 2017, as if the markets are the same. You lost me right away by trying to make that comparison