IST: Cubs vs. Royals (Home/Home series)

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Another W even with this bullpen.
Bullpen was looking good last couple games....and tonight it was all Kimbrel being the problem. So...maybe some hope for the pen. Outside of Kimbrel of course.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
5-straight. Now avoid Covid in Missouri.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
He has not pitched well enough at any point since being a Cub to warrant putting him into a save situation. He needs to be put into garbage time only situations until he shows he can still pitch.

Cubs still owe him 40++ million, ouch!

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Its pretty clear the back end of the Pen is now in the hands of Jeffress and Wick, both whom have been basically lights out. We need that 3rd arm and I would like to see about maybe Q being that guy when he comes back. I mean, you cannot sit down Chatty, he has been arguably our best starter so far and Mills has been rock solid. Also, Q's change-up has gotten worse and at this point, really is a 2 pitch pitcher. Put him in the Pen for now (knowing he could always move back to the rotation if Mills/Chatty falter) and now you have a solid end of the Pen.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
So here is another crazy though with it comes to Kimbrel: We cannot afford to have him at closer as it is clear in the past season+ that he has lost whatever he had in Boston....However, what about as an opener when there is absolutely no pressure on him. With the DH in the NL now, why not try Kimbrel in the 1st, get some kind of use out of him. This would then allow our starters to come in the second inning and allow us to go with a more condensed end of game Pen

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No getting out of that Kimbrel deal now..

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would say it was a Samson issue with the beard gone. But he sucked with it.

I would be concerned in a 162 game season but in a 60 game I believe that they can push the starters into the 7th inning more than not. Reducing the work load on the pen is the best solution for now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So here is another crazy though with it comes to Kimbrel: We cannot afford to have him at closer as it is clear in the past season+ that he has lost whatever he had in Boston....However, what about as an opener when there is absolutely no pressure on him. With the DH in the NL now, why not try Kimbrel in the 1st, get some kind of use out of him. This would then allow our starters to come in the second inning and allow us to go with a more condensed end of game Pen

He might be tipping. From what has been said they are sitting on his fastball and not offering on his curve. That leads to a tipping.

But the 1st inning....no. 1st inning or 9th. Matters little. Playing catch up puts pressure on the hitters to produce which rarely turns out well.

They are far better off of having a stable front end as it gives the team a chance to win games

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Convince him to opt out, figure out an injury. Something before we get to 26. Gotta lose 2 before Thursdays game for the first reduction to 28, hope Rea gets in before they send him back to at least see what he has to offer.

I think we can survive without Phegley, so finding a way to lose Kimbrel til they figure it out would only help. I am guessing Ross has caught him in the pen so he must be convinced he is not tipping. Did not see what him yesterday, but the last game the stuff still looked good but still flew over the wall.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Its pretty clear the back end of the Pen is now in the hands of Jeffress and Wick, both whom have been basically lights out.

These guys are going to be overworked. Kimbrel is the huge elephant in the room. Cubs have been more than patient (saying the right things) with this guy and have given him ample opportunities to figure it out.

Would feel better if the opponents were getting bloop / seeing eye base hits off him but it's basically become batting practice swings with lots of balls getting smashed off Kimbrel, lol

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Convince him to opt out, figure out an injury. Something before we get to 26. Gotta lose 2 before Thursdays game for the first reduction to 28, hope Rea gets in before they send him back to at least see what he has to offer.

I think we can survive without Phegley, so finding a way to lose Kimbrel til they figure it out would only help. I am guessing Ross has caught him in the pen so he must be convinced he is not tipping. Did not see what him yesterday, but the last game the stuff still looked good but still flew over the wall.

MLB contracts are guaranteed. They would pay him to kick back and crush beers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
These guys are going to be overworked. Kimbrel is the huge elephant in the room. Cubs have been more than patient (saying the right things) with this guy and have given him ample opportunities to figure it out.

Would feel better if the opponents were getting bloop / seeing eye base hits off him but it's basically become batting practice swings with lots of balls getting smashed off Kimbrel, lol

Pretty sure that he is tipping. It is pretty common.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure that he is tipping. It is pretty common.

He has no movement on his fastball. It's straight down the pipe. He has zero control in his offspeed and can't get it over the plate. Opponents are just sitting on his fastball and teeing off.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Almost got the double play

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Got the double play there!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bote falls down fielding a grounder, but at least he got it. DP

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The pop-up ads are a nice addition. Nothing like closing them a dozen times in ten minutes.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks