IST: Nats @ Cubs

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It is not that bad.
It's not worth buying. The hitting appears to be slightly better than the lineup that has bombed 4 years running. The starting pitching is shit. The bullpen is great though

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well the real issue was too many all or nothing and not enough contact.

The have addressed it a bit with Nico and Duffy. Joc has become a singles hitter.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Well the real issue was too many all or nothing and not enough contact.

The have addressed it a bit with Nico and Duffy. Joc has become a singles hitter.
It's still wait and see for me, but I don't see a world series contender with this team even with buying. We'll see how they're playing as the deadline gets closer

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's not worth buying. The hitting appears to be slightly better than the lineup that has bombed 4 years running. The starting pitching is shit. The bullpen is great though

The SP would have been fine if they kept Darvish. Alzolay is trending up. Hendricks..well we will see.

Going in they were replacing Q (not a factor) Chatwood (not a factor) and Lester (ok for a 5)

They had Darvish, Hendricks, Mills and Alzolay.

Going in they really needed to add 1 arm.

Well they traded a Ace for a pitcher of the same velocity as Mills then demoted Mills. I'm pretty sure Mills could have matched what Davies has done.

Then they sign Jake. Oh you still love us right? Here is a treat. Oh good boy.

Williams? Well as a 5 maybe. With what they had? Uhm no. Jake would have been the min investment. Shoot risking on Kluber would have been a worthy gamble.

But ya dump payroll... Oh you no likely? Oh here is a biscuit. You love Jake right?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But here and now:

I would rather have Steel in the rotation. Lefty that hits 96. It is something to develop.

Williams axe. Recall Wieck and keep him up.

Davies would be next in line to wart remove. They have Thompson building innings. When Mills returns then I would start to push for a trade here. They have 2 SP that can fill the void.

Jake just let him pitch the season. See what happens and who is available in the off season.

Now if this team starts rolling. Well I see them as buyers. Their main issue again is pitching. And I would target Scherzer and pay if it is justified. You know that you are getting a guy who will shut a team down.

Jake is a big game pitcher. Boras is right saying that. Nothing nerves him.

Kyle yet another guy that knows the post season.

All I can say about it. Let it play out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as the pen goes.

Kimbrel back in form.
Maples. He has not sucked. Talent is there.

Nance, Brothers and Megill have all looked good.

Then the main stays.

Pen has been the strength.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Every day line up?

Hoerner 2B. OBA .426
Rizzo 1B OBA .368
Bryant RF OBA .401 SLG .615
Contreras C OBA .349 SLG .462
Pederson LF OBA .345 SLG.356
Duffy 3B OBA .375 SLG .360
Happ CF OBA . 320 SLG .402
Baez SS OBA .291/SLG .511

This would put RBI opertunites on Bryant and Contreras.

Pederson would be a reset. With Duffy being a OBA. Both can pick up RBIS from above.

Then RBI opertunites for the hit or miss Happ and Baez.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For all the hand wringing people have done with this team, assuming they don't blow a 9 run lead in the 9th they will be 2 games back and the Cardinals look far from world beaters. I wouldn't even say we've seen the best version of this team yet as a lot of players are still pretty middling. Like we know hendricks can be better than he's pitched.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
For all the hand wringing people have done with this team, assuming they don't blow a 9 run lead in the 9th they will be 2 games back and the Cardinals look far from world beaters. I wouldn't even say we've seen the best version of this team yet as a lot of players are still pretty middling. Like we know hendricks can be better than he's pitched.

the “handwringing” is more to do with this team being an 85-90 win team at the absolute max, and absolutely not a World Series contender. Thus, many of us would rather be sellers at the deadline considering all the contract year guys they have on the roster. Are you actually posturing that the cubs should be buyers and be going for it this season?!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the “handwringing” is more to do with this team being an 85-90 win team at the absolute max, and absolutely not a World Series contender. Thus, many of us would rather be sellers at the deadline considering all the contract year guys they have on the roster. Are you actually posturing that the cubs should be buyers and be going for it this season?!

If the O is not a joke.
And the pen stays top 5.

The only weakness is the rotation

In a series you really only need 3 starters that are not garbage. You can axe Davies and Williams right now.

Jake is not the same guy. But he has a history of big game pitching. I would be fine with him in a 7 game.

That leaves 2 guys that we can trust. Hendricks and Alzolay. But I would trust them more in game 2-3 vs 1-2.

So like I said earlier if Max is on the block Jed has to kick the tires. Cubs have depth of 50-45 rated talent. I wouldn't pay a heavy price for him. But seeing how this might be the last chapter I'm pretty sure Jed will make a big move if this continues.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But to get there. As is on hitting. Don't start Heyward again this year.

Steel give him 2 weeks to mend then stretch him out at Iowa. This should take 4-6 weeks. Wieck retain as he is just as good in shorter stints.

When Steel gets 5 regularly then promote and bump the worst starter.

Williams and Davies are both fighting for the ugly child award.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Steel give him 2 weeks to mend then stretch him out at Iowa. This should take 4-6 weeks. Wieck retain as he is just as good in shorter stints.

:jonesy:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol @ thinking this offense is now “fixed” because it’s had a nice week or two run. It’s like we haven’t seen this before...oh wait, we have the last few years. People still falling for the fools gold I see

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol @ thinking this offense is now “fixed” because it’s had a nice week or two run. It’s like we haven’t seen this before...oh wait, we have the last few years. People still falling for the fools gold I see

How about LOL@ a 5B valued team that generates 500M per year playing to lose for 5 years just to see if they can build another team.

Vs playing every year to win. If it comes up shirt then sell.

Now I would agree except they have been scoring with out sitting on the long ball. That has been the change.

Even today their run came from a mini rally. The issue was strike outs. That part is their Heel.

I did post it in 'If then' statements. Where if they play up to contender levels then Jed will be forced to rent a legit TOR (Max) with his surplus of 2-3rd tier talent.

The market has been set this year. Aces are not costing 2 top 100 anymore. Max would cost 2* 15-20 ranked arms or bats. Teams are valuing prospects more than aged rents.

Even Jed said that the season will dictate his decisions not his marketplace.

The Cubs can spend 200M

They have.

Dropping contract and putting QO nets talent via the draft. And it opens up payroll in a strong F/A market.

Cubs can invest 100M+ in new faces. Seager most likely not retained. Could be moved to 3B. Sign Seimans for SS. 1B I would move Happ there. CF Marte on the market.

So there is no reason to believe that the answer should come via the farm. The farm is the least stable resource. If it was to best method then every small market would be a tank running over the big markets over paying.

Sure there are a few teams that have beaten the odds and have mastered self development. But looking at a team who's history is round 1 college hitter makes it. 1 of them MVP rest over rated.

The best method is draft and develop. If something upwells great. Don't trade it or block it. Let it make a impact. But the bread and butter is the larger payroll where you can make investments into established stars.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Are we still changing our minds on Davies each start?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Are we still changing our minds on Davies each start?

Not yet. He sucked. The got back to spring training form.

I never said he was more than a back if the rotation arm. Sure a contender would be fine renting him for the garbage Jed gets back just to stabilize a 5 man rotation and cut him in the post season.

I never believed he was the 9.09 EEA guy. Something was mechanically off with him

But. As far as the Cubs are concerned they have 2 pitchers that deserve to pitch on a contender. 1 guy that is ok in a 7 game because he doesn't rattle and can pitch a gem. And 2 guys that you cut off from the active roster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they still had Yu the dynamic would be different right now. Adding a superior pitcher like MAX? Max can face any pitcher in baseball and push that guy to make no mistakes on any outting.

Let's face it. Nats are going no where. Max will be the top rental.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So our farm system isn’t going to produce what we need, but we should go out and trade for a TOR with said farm system. That makes zero sense.

not to mention we traded away a TOR, there’s no reason to think the FO will be looking to trade for a TOR this trade deadline...nor should they!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So our farm system isn’t going to produce what we need, but we should go out and trade for a TOR with said farm system. That makes zero sense.

not to mention we traded away a TOR, there’s no reason to think the FO will be looking to trade for a TOR this trade deadline...nor should they!

The Cubs are not going to play losing baseball for 4 years.

That is when this " " new wave supposed to come in". If they don't wash out of baseball before then.

It made sense in 2012. Needed to rebuild a Front office and ownership was diverting cash to fund a new spring training facility and to remodel a 100 year old park.

That is not the issue right now. Payroll was reduced because of Covid.

So believing that the Cubs should waste 4 years of the fan bases time to get a better pick that is not guaranteed.

Trading out expiring for other teams non untouchables? If they go nose diving sure.

Jed pretty much said that the season will dictate his decision.

If they are out of it he will sell.

If they are close and a ace puts them in as contenders then he will invest.

If they are hovering 50% well that is option #1.

He has been pretty clear about this. He has been pretty clear about Bryant also. Enjoy him now. We would love to retain all three but...

Which means sign a deal under market or good luck.

So Jed is not going to sabatoge the season just to flip. He is going to let it play out. At the AS break he will know his answer.