IST: Phillies @ Cubs — Arrieta returns

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think that having a legit closer that would have been over in the 9th. Giving up 2 hits and a walk normally ends up with a run as a result more than not.

I would like to see them test Edwards as the closer. After returning he has not given up a walk. In 5 innings after returning all he has given up is 1 HR while striking out 6 guys.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So far in this thread, one second guesses Joe for not pulling the pitcher who later gave up a bloop hit, and another wants the guy who cost a game by giving up a HR, because he didn’t walk the guy. ?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
So far in this thread, one second guesses Joe for not pulling the pitcher who later gave up a bloop hit, and another wants the guy who cost a game by giving up a HR, because he didn’t walk the guy. ?

Well, he's going to get fired any minute now so the Cubs can hire Joe Girardi.

Just as I predicted all offseason.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Think that having a legit closer that would have been over in the 9th. Giving up 2 hits and a walk normally ends up with a run as a result more than not.

I would like to see them test Edwards as the closer. After returning he has not given up a walk. In 5 innings after returning all he has given up is 1 HR while striking out 6 guys.
And dont forget that wild pitch that contrares blocked back to him that ended up closing an inning.

Edwards mentality is what keeps him from the closer role. He is thrown off by racist remarks, ruined when a new windup is called illegal, he is low pressure now. I would prefer Chatwood at this point. Hits 96 and his filthy stuff is finding the plate.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Bullpen really misses Strop right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And dont forget that wild pitch that contrares blocked back to him that ended up closing an inning.

Edwards mentality is what keeps him from the closer role. He is thrown off by racist remarks, ruined when a new windup is called illegal, he is low pressure now. I would prefer Chatwood at this point. Hits 96 and his filthy stuff is finding the plate.

Chatwood has 17 hits and 17 walks in 24 IP.

To be honest Chatwood is a better starter. Those walks impact more in a 1 inning stint vs a 6 inning stint where he can induce a grounder to negate it.

Edwards is not with out flaws but you really have to look at the body of work sense his return and a .20 WHIP means that he is getting clean innings

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Bullpen really misses Strop right now.

It factors. His ERA got blown up on his last game when his hamstring got strained. 3 runs in a non inning bunched it up.

But right now is the time to test Edwards. See what he can do in the 9th. For the most part they already have Kintzler that has been effective as a set up. You can add Chatwood and Brach into that mix. Both of them have had walk issues going in but for the most part have been able to pitch through their mess.

But in the 9th you really need a clean inning. Edwards has been that guy sense his return. Now I would ease him into it with Cishek being the primary. But they should start giving him opertunity to prove what he is or not

IMO this year was about training wrong and adjustments for him. It was not about chronic injury that both Strop and Morrow go through.

And that matters. Today next week and next year. Do you want that 2 ton weight over your head or do you want to make a new choice.

At the end of the day they will have shed payroll to long term this issue. But if they can find internal solutions it makes more sense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Chatwood has 17 hits and 17 walks in 24 IP.

To be honest Chatwood is a better starter. Those walks impact more in a 1 inning stint vs a 6 inning stint where he can induce a grounder to negate it.

Edwards is not with out flaws but you really have to look at the body of work sense his return and a .20 WHIP means that he is getting clean innings
Lets go back and add in Chatwoods terrible last year to make more excuses.

Bullpen is simply, what have you done for me lately.

Darvish is easily rattled, Edwards is more easily rattled. Forget yesterday and play today is the montra of this team. Edwards cant forget not having his illegal motion (which is clearly not the same as Jansen, Kershaw or Doolittle) and you want him to be your best pitcher in the bullpen? Then the racism came into play. Dont say I dont know anything this time because even the great Theo said he was sent to Iowa to get his mental side cleared up.

Chatwood has been pretty good lately, and he has no clue when he might be used. Maybe that is part of what is working, but maybe a role would help him prepare more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
he needs a better change-up to compliment his cutter.

He throws a curve and a high spin rate 4 seem. 90% of his pitches are 4 seem. He is not a cutter pitcher.

Now I'm not against adding a change up. But he is not pitching 5 innings either.

Most pen arms are fine with 2 pitches.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lets go back and add in Chatwoods terrible last year to make more excuses.

Bullpen is simply, what have you done for me lately.

Darvish is easily rattled, Edwards is more easily rattled. Forget yesterday and play today is the montra of this team. Edwards cant forget not having his illegal motion (which is clearly not the same as Jansen, Kershaw or Doolittle) and you want him to be your best pitcher in the bullpen? Then the racism came into play. Dont say I dont know anything this time because even the great Theo said he was sent to Iowa to get his mental side cleared up.

Chatwood has been pretty good lately, and he has no clue when he might be used. Maybe that is part of what is working, but maybe a role would help him prepare more.

Last year? He has 17 hits and 17 walk in 24 IP. that has nothing to do with last year.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Never know it until you try it.

You really do know though. This is Edwards 5th year in the majors and he has consistently folded in pressure situations. He’s been mostly good every year but is never used in high leverage or in the playoffs because he has repeatedly shown he is mentally weak. He is easily shaken.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You really do know though. This is Edwards 5th year in the majors and he has consistently folded in pressure situations. He’s been mostly good every year but is never used in high leverage or in the playoffs because he has repeatedly shown he is mentally weak. He is easily shaken.

He got two of the last three outs in game 7 of the first World Series championship in more than a century.

What an incredibly stupid comment.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
D7HJYF2X4AA7p_v.jpg

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He got two of the last three outs in game 7 of the first World Series championship in more than a century.

What an incredibly stupid comment.

So, you used an example of him failing to cllse it out to make the point?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats how you score the first run. RBI groundout with the runner on second lol