Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Pittsburgh Pirates (2-4) @ Chicago Cubs (4-2)

pit.png

AT
chc.png

Pitching Matchups

Game 1 — Friday, July 31 (7:15 p.m.)

Trevor Williams (0-1, 7.36 ERA, 3K, 1BB) vs. Yu Darvish (0-1, 6.75 ERA, 4K, 0 BB)

Game 2 — Saturday, August 1 (7:15 p.m.)

Mitch Keller (1-0, 1.80 ERA, 2K, 3BB) vs. Tyler Chatwood (1-0, 1.50 ERA, 8K, 2BB)

Game 3 — Sunday, August 1 (1:20 p.m.)

TBD vs. Jon Lester (1-0, 1.00 ERA, 1K, 1BB)

5f03730f22173.image.jpg

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Big chance to pickup a series win here.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really nice hitting by Heyward. That was a nice pitch

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just keep pitching. No need to see the pen. Yu is looking good. (Though, in full disclosure, Pittsburgh has a .171 batting average as a team!)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Rizzo is so damn good at first. I think he is better than Grace over there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs win! I wouldnt say that was a confidence builder for Kimbrel lol

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs win! I wouldnt say that was a confidence builder for Kimbrel lol

I didn't see the last one so this is my first time seeing him this year. Tonight he was hitting 97 regularly, the problem is hitters can catch up to that if its down low, he needs to get the fastball higher in the zone....his breaking ball lower. If you watched the trail they used on his pitches, you could see that most of his fastballs had movement. He has to realize that he's older now and will have to be more of a pitcher than a thrower like Chapman.....he won't over power people much anymore and he will need to use the breaking ball more than he has in the past.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't see the last one so this is my first time seeing him this year. Tonight he was hitting 97 regularly, the problem is hitters can catch up to that if its down low, he needs to get the fastball higher in the zone....his breaking ball lower. If you watched the trail they used on his pitches, you could see that most of his fastballs had movement. He has to realize that he's older now and will have to be more of a pitcher than a thrower like Chapman.....he won't over power people much anymore and he will need to use the breaking ball more than he has in the past.
They are sitting on the fastball and not swinging at the curve. The problem is he cant throw the curve for a strike consistently, so they are just looking for the fastball. They were sitting all over it.

greg23

Liked Posts:
They are sitting on the fastball and not swinging at the curve. The problem is he cant throw the curve for a strike consistently, so they are just looking for the fastball. They were sitting all over it.

Kimbrell as a Cub

0-4
22 inn
19 earned runs
23 hits
11 home runs (not a typo)
16 walks

Almost a run an inning
A home run every other inning
1.5 runners on base per inning

Guy was done at the end of 2018.....good thing the season won't make it to the end because thia guy will end our season giving up a lead/series as he's force fed to "close" a game in the 9th.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like what Ross is doing with the DH in general and utilizing it to add flexibility to his depth. But if there had to be one on lock down who would you choose?

I would say Kip right now. Him and Nico are the hot bats right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrell as a Cub

0-4
22 inn
19 earned runs
23 hits
11 home runs (not a typo)
16 walks

Almost a run an inning
A home run every other inning
1.5 runners on base per inning

Guy was done at the end of 2018.....good thing the season won't make it to the end because thia guy will end our season giving up a lead/series as he's force fed to "close" a game in the 9th.

The pen in general has been the heel on the team. You are cherry picking right now.

IMO Ross just needs to lean on Wick, Ryan and Jeffries. When Q returns it should push Mills into middle relief which should stablize the bridge innings.

I just see this as a transition of self development and that takes time.

Kimbrel might end up as a dud. But he is only 1 guy on a large pen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To be honest on Kimbrel. He needs to adapt to not being able to gas guys. He was a 100 MPH guy that now sits at 95. So that means that he needs to adjust.

A easy adjustment is adding a change. He has been able to add a curve but let's face it he needs a off speed to keep guys off his fastball.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
To be honest on Kimbrel. He needs to adapt to not being able to gas guys. He was a 100 MPH guy that now sits at 95. So that means that he needs to adjust.

A easy adjustment is adding a change. He has been able to add a curve but let's face it he needs a off speed to keep guys off his fastball.

Kimbrel is going to get a long leash from Ross this year. Theo Epstein went on record that he sent his "super scout" to watch Kimbrel throw pitches prior to the Cubs signing him. That prized scout in question was David Ross, lol

“Last Friday, Craig threw a bullpen. We sent one of our scouts, Joe Nelson, and then our super scout, David Ross,” laughed Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein. “It’s a funny story but Rossy actually caught Craig’s first pitch he ever threw in the big leagues. Then, he’s there watching him throw a bullpen, getting ready to sign as a free agent. That bullpen went extremely well. Both guys reported that Craig looked like he was just about in midseason form.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That second home run, down in the zone, moving down and away from the lefty, popped into the basket.
every ball was hit hard. I am tending to think there is more of a tipping deal with him, because most days, that second home run ball is an unhittable strike.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kimbrel is burnt toast.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The thing is, he doesn't have to learn a change....he already has one. Used it in Boston for two years. In his time with the Cubs he's never used anything but a FB and a hook....sounds very much like a guy who pitched here named Grimm. Plus he's getting Grimm-like results, sporatic control and a penchant for giving up the long ball. Two pitch pitchers are usually disasters waiting to happen. I think he needs some coaching.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
That second home run, down in the zone, moving down and away from the lefty, popped into the basket.
every ball was hit hard. I am tending to think there is more of a tipping deal with him, because most days, that second home run ball is an unhittable strike.

He's aged. No longer has the pop. He's lost miles on his fastball. 2018 he was finished, walked 31 guys in 61 innings in the regular season with the Red Sox that year. That's a lot of walks for a closer. Red Sox gave up on him 2nd half of the year and didn't trust him in the playoffs.

In the ALDS against the Yankees, he would have an 11.57 ERA, giving up 2 hits, 2 walks and 3 runs all in just 2.1 innings. In the ALCS against the Astros, his ERA was 4.50 with 4 hits, 4 walks, and 2 runs in just 4 innings. In the World Series, his ERA was 4.15 in 4.1 innings pitched. He allowed 3 hits while giving up 2 runs. He also allowed a home run and walked 2. Kimbrel’s WHIP was 1.154.

One thing is clear. David Ross will never be a scout, lol