IST: Pirates @ Cubs

Bust

Liked Posts:
Division is wide open. It looked like the Cardinals were going to pull away but just lost 2 in a row to the Mets <team the cubs swept>. Brewers on a 5 game loss streak. Cubs only 2 back.

Cubs can be buyers at the deadline!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Don't say that. This team has no business not selling
I mean... if you're in the hunt for the playoffs you shouldn't be selling.... on the other hand i would agree I don't really see a reason for them to be buying. I suppose if a team comes around and offers you something nuts for Bryant then sure you gotta consider that. Same goes or Baez.

Regardless, it was nice to see Pederson and Davies having good games. It's like I have been saying for awhile... Davies looks fine save for the walks and today he only had 1 and pitched more like he's capable of.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean... if you're in the hunt for the playoffs you shouldn't be selling.... on the other hand i would agree I don't really see a reason for them to be buying. I suppose if a team comes around and offers you something nuts for Bryant then sure you gotta consider that. Same goes or Baez.

Regardless, it was nice to see Pederson and Davies having good games. It's like I have been saying for awhile... Davies looks fine save for the walks and today he only had 1 and pitched more like he's capable of.

it was against the triple A pirates. Hopefully it builds them some confidence, but I’m waiting to see Davies and Pederson do it against actual competition

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
it was against the triple A pirates. Hopefully it builds them some confidence, but I’m waiting to see Davies and Pederson do it against actual competition
Doesn't matter who it was against. He threw strikes. I mean yeah a better team might get hits but that's not the point of my comment. If davies is going to be the player he's been over his career he *has* to be a lower walk type pitcher. I'm assuming if that goes back to normal the rest falls into place for him.

As for Joc... he has a long enough track record that I've never been super worried. He may not be great but he's also not this bad.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Doesn't matter who it was against. He threw strikes. I mean yeah a better team might get hits but that's not the point of my comment. If davies is going to be the player he's been over his career he *has* to be a lower walk type pitcher. I'm assuming if that goes back to normal the rest falls into place for him.

As for Joc... he has a long enough track record that I've never been super worried. He may not be great but he's also not this bad.
C0477B6E-B844-4FEA-8D03-8B952460C1FA.jpeg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Stupid convo.

Cubs win but it don't count because of the talent played. Wow.

What a stupid point of view.

Good to know that sucking and trading >. Winning games around here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2 vs Pit.
2 vs Cle.
3 vs Det
4 vs Was.

Ya Cle looks like a split but the rest is bottom feeding. Cubs might fatten up here.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Imagine making up narratives that nobody is claiming. Takes a special kind of loser to do that

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Stupid convo.

Cubs win but it don't count because of the talent played. Wow.

What a stupid point of view.

Good to know that sucking and trading >. Winning games around here.
I would love winning and realistically having a chance at a world series, but I'm not ignorant. I've watched this team stumble through the end of the season and the playoffs since 2017. I know the roster has no chance. I know the best hope of a bright future is blowing everything up and rebuilding over the next year or 2. The talent they do have could make it a much quicker turnaround than before which is what is exciting and makes it so obvious to me what the right thing to do is.

So yeah I could be an idiot and hope they play well enough to be buyers at the deadline so we can deplete our farm system some for another 1st round exit and watch our players walk in free agency. Sounds good.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would love winning and realistically having a chance at a world series, but I'm not ignorant. I've watched this team stumble through the end of the season and the playoffs since 2017. I know the roster has no chance. I know the best hope of a bright future is blowing everything up and rebuilding over the next year or 2. The talent they do have could make it a much quicker turnaround than before which is what is exciting and makes it so obvious to me what the right thing to do is.

So yeah I could be an idiot and hope they play well enough to be buyers at the deadline so we can deplete our farm system some for another 1st round exit and watch our players walk in free agency. Sounds good.

I am a realist also and believe that the Cubs are built for the regular season and lack high leverage pitching.

But being a realist also means knowing that the Cubs generate 500M in revenues every year and can pay for a winning product vs do what teams that are forced to do because they lack the resources to pay for a winning product.

That is my main issue with this lose to win mentality. That is a small market mind set. Teams like the White Sox have to do this to compete because they can not support a 200M product. The Cubs have and can again.

Now there is talent upwelling. Marquez is getting over covid and should be at Tenn. Davis will be there soon. Morel is playing CF there right now and I am hoping that it becomes a fixture vs a temporary situation because he is a better fit in CF vs 3B going forward.

Now the Cubs went tanking and system building because team recourses were being diverted into rebuilding infrastructure. That is done. They have their own TV network. All they need is to put a product on the field to generate viewership. That means a winning product. Not a scrub watch waiting to see who wins the trade market.

You know the season is won in Oct not July. When you start to believe the bullshit of lose to win when your team can support a winning product then you need to seek help.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I am a realist also and believe that the Cubs are built for the regular season and lack high leverage pitching.

But being a realist also means knowing that the Cubs generate 500M in revenues every year and can pay for a winning product vs do what teams that are forced to do because they lack the resources to pay for a winning product.

That is my main issue with this lose to win mentality. That is a small market mind set. Teams like the White Sox have to do this to compete because they can not support a 200M product. The Cubs have and can again.

Now there is talent upwelling. Marquez is getting over covid and should be at Tenn. Davis will be there soon. Morel is playing CF there right now and I am hoping that it becomes a fixture vs a temporary situation because he is a better fit in CF vs 3B going forward.

Now the Cubs went tanking and system building because team recourses were being diverted into rebuilding infrastructure. That is done. They have their own TV network. All they need is to put a product on the field to generate viewership. That means a winning product. Not a scrub watch waiting to see who wins the trade market.

You know the season is won in Oct not July. When you start to believe the bullshit of lose to win when your team can support a winning product then you need to seek help.
I would like them to be a franchise that has sustained success and doesn't need to rebuild, but they sold off too many parts in this run. I don't think a lot of this team fits in the next time line. Rizzo will be declining. Baez isn't a steady enough player if he wants big money. Bryant is too much of a question mark for a 10 year contract. Contreras could be, but also has replacements in the minors if we can get the right package. Happ I assume has no value. Kimbrel obviously is more valuable in a trade. I like our minor league talent. But with trades, I think we could have a surplus of talent and I hope the FO can go forward with a process of sustainable success this time around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like them to be a franchise that has sustained success and doesn't need to rebuild, but they sold off too many parts in this run. I don't think a lot of this team fits in the next time line. Rizzo will be declining. Baez isn't a steady enough player if he wants big money. Bryant is too much of a question mark for a 10 year contract. Contreras could be, but also has replacements in the minors if we can get the right package. Happ I assume has no value. Kimbrel obviously is more valuable in a trade. I like our minor league talent. But with trades, I think we could have a surplus of talent and I hope the FO can go forward with a process of sustainable success this time around.

Let's say that this team somehow works this year. And they end up needing to buy.

Jon Grey becomes a strong target and shouldn't be a huge pricetag. I could see Keegan Thompson and Tyson Miller with a unknown bat pulling off that trade.

Now becoming a buyer or a seller is a result of the season. Going in to sell should never be the goal.

Fear of losing talent for nothing is the driving force here. What is ignored is the Cubs can qualify offer each one this getting picks.

They gain new payroll space to sign new players in a strong market. This is not a bad thing because losing Bryant and Baez could end up with Seager and Story on the left side instead.

They could resign the players in question.

But if they again win like last year. And let's face it when hitting and having stable pitching it can happen. We might as well enjoy it. What happens after will happen. What we should not accept is 2012-2014. Teams built to sell. Again it made sense then. Now it is a money grab as they are just doing what the Tribune did for decades. Made the Cubs a joke team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Imagine making up narratives that nobody is claiming. Takes a special kind of loser to do that

Really? It seems like you are The champion to the tank job. Can't wait to get anything that a team is willing to give up. Because strong farm systems win.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not sure why you're contesting this... it literally doesn't matter who is up at bat if you can't put pitches in the zone. The way Davies was walking people any of us could have got walks. The point I was making is that we can't even have the conversation you are wanting to make this into until he can command his pitches well enough to not walk everyone.

Now if Davies still has a shit ERA after he stops walking people that's when we talk about a good performance against a shit team. But that's also not the claim I'm making here. Davies wasn't good because he dominated a pirate team today. The claim I'm making is he was good because he finally stopped walking people.

Like I said, maybe against a better team he still gets lit up but again to reiterate one more time, that's not my concern... well not my primary one right now. My primary concern is getting him to a point where he doesn't walk people because until that happens nothing else matters.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure why you're contesting this... it literally doesn't matter who is up at bat if you can't put pitches in the zone. The way Davies was walking people any of us could have got walks. The point I was making is that we can't even have the conversation you are wanting to make this into until he can command his pitches well enough to not walk everyone.

Now if Davies still has a shit ERA after he stops walking people that's when we talk about a good performance against a shit team. But that's also not the claim I'm making here. Davies wasn't good because he dominated a pirate team today. The claim I'm making is he was good because he finally stopped walking people.

Like I said, maybe against a better team he still gets lit up but again to reiterate one more time, that's not my concern... well not my primary one right now. My primary concern is getting him to a point where he doesn't walk people because until that happens nothing else matters.

you said the opponent does not matter. As if pitching to the weakest lineup in all of baseball does not impact a pitchers willingness to be in the strike zone. The opponent absolutely is a factor in it. Like I said, I hope it builds him some confidence and we see a better Davies going forward. But to act like it made no difference if it was the pirates or the Yankees is just silly. I’m sure if it had been judge and company, they would of smashed some of those pitches in the zone that the minor league hitting pirates simply cannot. The opponent absolutely matters. But hey, whatever...think what you wish

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
2.5 back of STL entering today. Sweep the Pirates.