J.Graham could get cut.......

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He won’t get what he’s being paid on the open market. Would be nice if he took a 2-3 million cut

Canth

Liked Posts:
I suppose anything is possible. But there has been no hint of this from any of the Bears beat writers or national media.

Honestly, I don't get it. The Reid style offense needs TEs to do well. Graham was not horrendous last year - the guy was tied for 4th for most TD's by a TE in the NFL. And with the qb situation, no one did all that great in receptions and yards. If you cut Graham, then what? You have no one other than Kmet who is ascending but still a bit of an unknown.

I get that Graham is a bit overpaid, but I also get kinda tired of all the internet analysts / "cap gurus" who's solution to everything is to cut everyone to save for more cap space for next year and next year's free agency. Guess what, you still need to play -this- year and the coaches need/want to -win- this year. Does the guy help you win this year? If the answer is yes, probably want to keep him. If the answer is no or you are not sure and he costs a bunch, then by all means, ask for the pay cut or cut him. Bu they still need to field a team. Some of these supposed cap guys would likely cut everyone but the rookies to maximize cap space for next year, and they would likely do that every year...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Graham is not in the picture for 2022 then I guess they could do it. Realistically if Fields is going to play it would be nice to have a TE that knows what he is doing all the time......

They are lacking in good vet pass catchers

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Graham is not worth keeping at his price point. If he were to take a pay cut, then sure. Beside his TDs, he was basically useless out there. Kmet might not put up as many TDs but I’m sure he could surpass Graham with yards. I’m also sure you can make up Graham’s TD production between a couple other players.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Graham is not worth keeping at his price point. If he were to take a pay cut, then sure. Beside his TDs, he was basically useless out there. Kmet might not put up as many TDs but I’m sure he could surpass Graham with yards. I’m also sure you can make up Graham’s TD production between a couple other players.

So the purpose of this game is to score TDs and we all want to get rid of someone who is pretty good at that......who cares if he doesnt put up a ton of yards, getting that much TD production out of a TE is worth it.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
So the purpose of this game is to score TDs and we all want to get rid of someone who is pretty good at that......who cares if he doesnt put up a ton of yards, getting that much TD production out of a TE is worth it.
You telling me you can’t find 8 TDs between other players? Some of the TD catches made by Graham any offense player could have made

discplayer

Liked Posts:
And it's NOT just the TD's he gets, or the yards he doesn't get, it's the fact that he has doesn't even come close to trying to block. There were several times last year (on film) where he actively jumped out of the way of an oncoming tackler he could have blocked - or at least gotten in the way of - as said tackler blew up Montgomery or other WRs trying to make more yards.

I'm not a fan, and agree with hckypro19 that they can find TDs in red zone with ARob, Kmet and all the other weapons they have. He's been a lazy player and teammate ever since he left N.O., barely being productive in Seattle (with R. Wilson at QB) prior to absolutely sucking in Green Bay (with A. Rodgers!!). He phones it in until the red zone, and only then when he feels like trying.

Move on and invest all that $$ in a vet LT, if not another proven TE who gives a shit.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You telling me you can’t find 8 TDs between other players? Some of the TD catches made by Graham any offense player could have made
its not the pure production...its giving a young QB a vet receiver who knows where to be...

There is something to be said for a pass catcher who knows where to be

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Graham runs lazy ass routes and his blocking is horrendous. Didn’t like the signing, he’s 9m red zone target only. Start kmet and hope one of the others step up..

Graham OR Hicks are going to have to be cut, I’d prefer it NOT be the guy who plays with a ton of heart despite deteriorating play.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If we know anything about the Nagy offense, it’s that it runs through the TE position. I don’t think there’s any way they cut Graham. Our TE group would instantly be less experienced, and much less talented, than our CB group most are lamenting about.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I suppose anything is possible. But there has been no hint of this from any of the Bears beat writers or national media.

Honestly, I don't get it. The Reid style offense needs TEs to do well. Graham was not horrendous last year - the guy was tied for 4th for most TD's by a TE in the NFL. And with the qb situation, no one did all that great in receptions and yards. If you cut Graham, then what? You have no one other than Kmet who is ascending but still a bit of an unknown.

I get that Graham is a bit overpaid, but I also get kinda tired of all the internet analysts / "cap gurus" who's solution to everything is to cut everyone to save for more cap space for next year and next year's free agency. Guess what, you still need to play -this- year and the coaches need/want to -win- this year. Does the guy help you win this year? If the answer is yes, probably want to keep him. If the answer is no or you are not sure and he costs a bunch, then by all means, ask for the pay cut or cut him. Bu they still need to field a team. Some of these supposed cap guys would likely cut everyone but the rookies to maximize cap space for next year, and they would likely do that every year...

The larger problem is Graham isnt that good. He tied for 4th in TDs but the reality is Kmet likely can catch those same TDs Graham caught. He is practically worthless between the 20s.

Using Graham in Red Zone hurts your run game and probably telegraphs pass. At least with Kmet he can both block and catch red zone targets.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Graham runs lazy ass routes and his blocking is horrendous. Didn’t like the signing, he’s 9m red zone target only. Start kmet and hope one of the others step up..

Graham OR Hicks are going to have to be cut, I’d prefer it NOT be the guy who plays with a ton of heat despite deteriorating play.

The Bears coaching staff completely disagrees with you

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The larger problem is Graham isnt that good. He tied for 4th in TDs but the reality is Kmet likely can catch those same TDs Graham caught. He is practically worthless between the 20s.

Using Graham in Red Zone hurts your run game and probably telegraphs pass. At least with Kmet he can b9th block and catch red zone targets.
This. If you extrapolate kmet games started over the course of a season he would nearly double the targets and yardage. TD would be a little less, 5-6.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
its not the pure production...its giving a young QB a vet receiver who knows where to be...

There is something to be said for a pass catcher who knows where to be
I don’t think being a vet has anything to do with it. If a player knows where to be, that’s all that matters. And other players showed they knew where to be. Our QBs just didn’t know how to complete passes to them.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The Bears coaching staff completely disagrees with you
Says who? Did you not watch Graham play last season? If he wasn’t in the red zone, he ran pretty lazy routes.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think being a vet has anything to do with it. If a player knows where to be, that’s all that matters. And other players showed they knew where to be. Our QBs just didn’t know how to complete passes to them.
I think Graham is around because he knows where to be.

There is a reason Graham is here and not released early on.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Says who? Did you not watch Graham play last season? If he wasn’t in the red zone, he ran pretty lazy routes.
Yes, Graham was so horrible and a lazy route runner the Bears couldn't wait to get rid of him.....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This. If you extrapolate kmet games started over the course of a season he would nearly double the targets and yardage. TD would be a little less, 5-6.

TDs probably would not be less as part of his lack of TDs was because Graham was used in RZ over him. Remove Graham and those RZ targets go to Kmet. Not sure the poing to using a 2nd rounder on Kmet but then letting a 40 year old TE stunt his production by taking RZ targets away from him.