Jack Sanborn

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Two pretty good conversation on Jack Sanborn are here:

At this week’s BOB. EJ Snyder discusses exactly what my fear of was for him: his slow foot speed makes him vulnerable to RBs coming out of the backfield and across his face. If he had played a competent team, hahaha not Detroit with a back that would have eaten him, they would have isolated him and taken advantage.

EJ does a really good job explaining how and wondering why Detroit didn’t use swift to do so. Easy, they’re fucking Detroit and they’re going to Detroit.

Here, CFC discusses and, basically, comes to the same conclusion of EJ about Sanborn.

So, my observations mimicked EJ’s about him being better at the MLB position and to avoid the responsibilities of WLB.

I hope the best for him and want to see him improve without being a liability on pass coverage. I think he does have potential, but he really needs to spend some time on his zone reads and responsibilities, particularly focusing on getting faster, as EJ said, and playing within himself to use his instincts to overcome his first step.

He may be able to play the same role on the Bears he played at Wisconsin, being the guy that is always in the right place to finish a play. Keeping him in the middle could also be accomplished by keeping a shell around him to allow him to attack. Again, I love what I see from him, but, as EJ said, if he saw it, Offensive Coordinators saw it too.

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Might be better in a 3-4. Hell let him play the year out and see. He's a starting NFL backer in someone's system without a doubt.
I’m not sure. Smaller fast LBers are better for a 3-4, because they have three DL in the A and B gaps to keep them clean so they can read and fill.

A base 4-3MLB, where Sanborn would truly excel, doesn’t have the luxury of playing clean, having to take and shed OL, usually G. The issue is that the Bears aren’t in base much. So, he’s in a 4-2. If he’s on the W side, he is responsible for the flat. Yes, technically both LB cover a flat, but a LB can be Mug and the N can cover the flat.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well we're about to see what he can do against a team that runs the ball as much as anyone with C.Patterson, T.Allgeier and Mariota.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I'm hopeful but speed and or that great first step are needed in this league. He will be up against top athletes and athletic freaks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Didn’t bother watching because it’s downright blasphemous. You’re talking about JACK the FUTURE GOAT SANBORN. Is this guy high on drugs? Put some respect on the man’s name. Detroit didn’t isolate Swift on Sanborn because they were fucking terrified and knew better.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Instincts can cover some athletic deficiencies. I saw him cover a slot receiver on a crossing pattern and make the tackle short of the first. He clearly plays faster than he times.

Obviously, I'm not drawing any long term conclusions based on one game but he looked really good.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
There are some times where he gets caught in a situation where he made the wrong read. But then there are times where his angle towards the ball is dead on and he misses due to lack of speed. And then there are times where he is absolutely dialed in and making the right reads.
His first game was tough. But the differences between his first and second game are pretty extraordinary IMO.
The guy has two starts under his belt and I'm not sure how one can come to a final opinion on the guy from that.
I loved what I saw in his second start. The guy can make plays.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
There are some times where he gets caught in a situation where he made the wrong read. But then there are times where his angle towards the ball is dead on and he misses due to lack of speed. And then there are times where he is absolutely dialed in and making the right reads.
His first game was tough. But the differences between his first and second game are pretty extraordinary IMO.
The guy has two starts under his belt and I'm not sure how one can come to a final opinion on the guy from that.
I loved what I saw in his second start. The guy can make plays.
I agree wholeheartedly that it’s too late to put him in a box and say this’s who you are. I’m just trying to provide a baseline of evaluation. For a UDFA, he’s already a steal. Whether it’s as a full time ILB in a 4-2 or a WLB or even M in a 4-3 base, with the reduced looks that come with it, plus a ST ace, he is still over performing his draft status.

I really liked him watching all that Wisconsin footage I did while I was watching Chenal. At the time, I just didn’t think we’d have a pick to draft him, so I focused on Chenal and their DL. I was the first or one of the first to get the hype train going for Sanborn, so think of this as more evaluative as opposed to pegging him into a hole. Sanborn is the man.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Given that he was undrafted....
Sanborn is one of those I-gotta-prove-myself type players. So ya want him in there.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
All I know is, the bears cut the great AJ Klein, so this Sanborn kid better be the next Singletary!

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
After nine tackles and a FR today...

I'm sold on Sanborn in some capacity on the D. SAM/ST ace, WLB, MLB...

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I’d say move him to MLB in the off-season and sign someone like Okereke to play WLB.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
Instincts can cover some athletic deficiencies. I saw him cover a slot receiver on a crossing pattern and make the tackle short of the first. He clearly plays faster than he times.

Obviously, I'm not drawing any long term conclusions based on one game but he looked really good.
He's done that in previous games as well. I think there might be some pre judgement about his game speed, for obvious reasons.

I don't know if he is good or not in the long term. He's played well when given a chance

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He can play, definitely a nice depth piece and maybe he continues to develop into a starter.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Jack Hammer is already better than the Shea-rah princess of shit. 1st rd vs UDFA too...