Jake Fromm Declares

msadows

Liked Posts:
Eason couldn't beat Fromm out at Georgia and he darn near lost to Mitch if Georgia didnt have Fromm come in and save the game.

Justin Fields couldn't beat out Jake Fromm either.....

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I HATE that these gaping death wound holes exists, but MUST fill OL & TE. Unless the new OC runs Mike Martz scheme, TE is total shit, as is the OL.

NO QB can/will succeed with this OL and ZERO TE production or run game. ? ?‍♂️
Please show me one who has with those 2 being this shitty.

I'd love a nice QB to challenge Mitch into reading his options correctly and actually looking deep before insta-checkdown, but dammit...there's big holes to fill.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’d actually rather take a shot at Eason. Absolute canon for an arm and can make any throw on the field. Inconsistent play will cause him to fall in the draft, but hey, we’re not going to get Burrow or Tua, and I just want to see anyone but Chase as the backup. Eason has the upside. I’d go with either Eason in 2 or Anthony Gordon in 4.

I watched Eason play here at University of Washington this year and you are spot on with the inconsistency. He can make all the throws, I'm just not sure he will make all of them. He probably would have been better off taking another year at Washington but with the coaching change I guess he decided to try play for the big time. He really has only played two full seasons at the college level and there were times when that three year span between stars really showed. His losses were against good teams with decent defenses and his mental mistakes occurred during those games. When playing against lesser teams he was much more dominant than against ranked ones. He wasn't the only reason that Washington didn't do as well as predicted but he was part of the problem.

He looks a lot like Mitch 2.0. Athletic, great arm, a lot of upside but will need some time to advance into a real starting QB. If, and I mean IF the Bears take him he will be a project which means either sticking with Trubisky for 1-2 more years or picking up a vet to mentor him. If Chicago takes him they had better not throw him out there unprepared. It will just lead to more problems.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He's going in the 1st round. He's a good QB that suffered from lack of production at the WR position this year. He's fine

This is so bad of a take. I would bet my net worth Fromm doesn’t go in the 1st round.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Eason feels like Pat Mahomes to me right now.

Ends the season with a high 2nd/late first grade.

Kills it at the combine.

Some team "overdrafts" him.

Guy obviously has the most potential in this class. He was the #1 pro style QB in the country as a HS senior for a reason. He just has to go to a good situation. My guess? Pats take him at 23.

Have you ever looked at Pat Mahomes production in college? Because it was in a different stratosphere relative to Eason.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
How many of you think the Bears are carrying three QBs on the 53-man roster next year?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
With current pro offenses and coaches more willing to change their offenses to better suit their quarterbacks, it's actually much easier in recent years to predict pro success.

At least right now, gone are the days of, "Well, he wasn't that great in college, but his skill set will translate to the pros." The best current predictor for pro success is college success.

A QB's really good in college? Cool, he's now got a really good chance to be a pro. Don't overthink it---If your pick comes up and there's a really good college QB available, hell, why not?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many of you think the Bears are carrying three QBs on the 53-man roster next year?

Trubisky, Backup, and then practice squad

Bears are not in a position to have a project as a backup.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fromm is a poor man's A. J. McCarron, succeeding based on environment and nothing more than a mediocre talent.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Trubisky, Backup, and then practice squad

Bears are not in a position to have a project as a backup.

What about the people suggesting the Bears sign a veteran and draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round?

A 4th rounder probably isn't getting stashed on the practice squad without getting poached.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about the people suggesting the Bears sign a veteran and draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round?

A 4th rounder probably isn't getting stashed on the practice squad without getting poached.

If they draft a guy that high then they will have to carry three. The Bears are not going forward without a vet however.

I think the Bears believe that carrying 3 QBs is a luxury they can't afford. It really depends how the draft plays out and who they really like.

The shotgun approach is not a recipe for success. I don't expect the Bears to get a 3rd full time QB. Maybe an UDFA. that is about it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If they draft a guy that high then they will have to carry three. The Bears are not going forward without a vet however.

I think the Bears believe that carrying 3 QBs is a luxury they can't afford. It really depends how the draft plays out and who they really like.

The shotgun approach is not a recipe for success. I don't expect the Bears to get a 3rd full time QB. Maybe an UDFA. that is about it.

I completely agree with you. That's why I think the Bears don't get a QB this draft, unless it's a 6th or 7th rounder they could safely stash on the practice squad. All this narrative talk of "Well, they gotta sign a veteran and draft a QB to put all irons in the fire" isn't going to be feasible for what Pace is actually likely to do.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I completely agree with you. That's why I think the Bears don't get a QB this draft, unless it's a 6th or 7th rounder they could safely stash on the practice squad. All this narrative talk of "Well, they gotta sign a veteran and draft a QB to put all irons in the fire" isn't going to be feasible for what Pace is actually likely to do.
But, if that late rd (or UDFA) lights it up in camp/preseason, I think they would find a way to keep 3. But it's not the plan going in...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not get the Fromm hate.

I get the lack of excitement, the physical tools are not great.

But I think we have more examples of physically limited guys who can read defenses and make decisions having success, that physically impressive guys who cannot do the mental stuff.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Eason couldn't beat Fromm out at Georgia and he darn near lost to Mitch if Georgia didnt have Fromm come in and save the game.

Fromm was still in high school when Eason and Georgia played UNC. That was the game Eason came in as a freshman and stole the job from Greyson Lambert (and led the comeback win).

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fromm is a poor man's A. J. McCarron, succeeding based on environment and nothing more than a mediocre talent.
Wrong. A.J was more athletic

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wrong. A.J was more athletic
What do you think poor man's means? As for AJM's athleticism McCarron's -50 yards rushing at Alabama begs to differ. Both are mediocre talents surrounded by elite everything making them look better. Only difference is AJM actually won something.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Aside from hyped picks like that Burrow kid from LSU, this is a bad time to come out as a project college QB like Fromm.

NFL has a crap ton of named QB's who are going to be free agents and others like Foles, etc. whom teams are looking to unload.

We are going to see a record number of NFL QB's swap jerseys this year and the Bears need to be in the thick of it. There are only so many starting positions to be had in the NFL so some of these guys are going to sign for 1 year discount prove it deals in the hopes of cashing in the following year. After years of starting, none of these guys are going to want to sign on with a team as a backup/mentor.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We are going to see a record number of NFL QB's swap jerseys this year and the Bears need to be in the thick of it. There are only so many starting positions to be had in the NFL so some of these guys are going to sign for 1 year discount prove it deals in the hopes of cashing in the following year. After years of starting, none of these guys are going to want to sign on with a team as a backup/mentor.
You're going to be SO disappointed....