James Jones: Chicago Bears 'Super Bowl contenders' with quarterback Derek Carr

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears run game was ass.

Carr is currently a better QB than Trubisky.

Both things can be true. I see no point in bringing up the former as some sort of justification for not acquiring a better QB than Trubs.

That is the other part of the argument...I actually would be fine with Carr as the QB as long as they don't think it is the cure-all to the offense.

I still think Trubisky has a higher ceiling but I've been pretty clear on my point that the run game is the biggest bang for the buck. No reason you can't improve the run game and the QB...

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
when you hide the non-qualifiers, Aaron Rodgers was 12th in the league...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

in 2018 Trubisky was 16th in passer rating at about the same score....
Interesting.. I guess FoxSports and PFR judge "qualified" differently. The list I'm looking at also had qualified only shown.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...PASSING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

I guess I shouldn't be surprised its false.. it is Faux after all..

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
couldn't take advantage of what...he isn't the running back.....

I don't know to put this any simpler....the Bears could not run the ball consistently enough in ideal running situations....it hurt the offense......

Anyone who looks at the Bears run game and blames it on Trubisky when the oline gets pushed around is trying too hard to blame everything on Trubisky....Bears faced well below average men in the box vs runs and could not execute....

The entire run coaching staff was fired.....

This isn't rocket science.

So I guess we aren't agreeing to disagree.

Your premise is that when nickel and dime are on the field, no passes can be thrown and the smart move is always to run. That's not true. This isn't Tecmo Bowl.

Mitch cannot read pre-snap/ take advantage of open spots in the nickel/dime zones and the D knows it. They do not need extra S help deep and all can stay up and crash the RB if and when Mitch hands it off.

Everything you say is true but off and missing something.

Anyone who looks at the Bears pass game and blames it on the run when Mitch cannot gain more than 5 YPA consistently and finished last in YPA for starters and blames the RBs is trying too hard to do what, I don't even know.

Bears faced basic zones all year long and could not execute ...

The OL coach was fired for the OL's failures at running and pass blocking as well as the OC but Nagy was not fired.

This isn't rocket science indeed. (Seriously though, you may be right in that Mitch may start reading and hitting open spots better but your position is not logically unassailable and obvious. )

Can't wait for FA. We will see if Pace feels like running game needs overhauled or if he feels like a better QB needs to come and beat Mitch out.

I fear Pace will go the way you think and the Bears will suffer for it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
That is the other part of the argument...I actually would be fine with Carr as the QB as long as they don't think it is the cure-all to the offense.

I still think Trubisky has a higher ceiling but I've been pretty clear on my point that the run game is the biggest bang for the buck. No reason you can't improve the run game and the QB...

Ah interesting. I don't think it's possible to upgrade significantly either if focused on both. I always approached from either/or position.

If Pace changes out all facets of the offense, I suspect it will get better overall if the QB does better because that ultimately will affect how Nagy calls a game for the better.

I am also not in "It's All Mitch's Fault Club" but I do believe his shortcomings inspired the worst in Nagy and so he is the primary issue by default (because Nagy worked more on proving Mitch is an issue than he did winning games imo)

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I still believe Trubisky can be a well above average QB long term. There are several key things I see him do that top QBs do......he needs to take several big steps still......this is probably the last year here for him, so he had better jump, but the Bears need to put serviceable parts around him.
I disagree. 4 years in and the game has not slowed down for him. He still can’t read defenses. If you set him up in one read offense and just used him as a running back for his second read he might win a few games before he gets injured. He’s a bust at two overall, a shitty backup is his cap.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't see Carr as a "winner."

he isn't....he isn't going to make the team around him better.

He has had one non-losing season (.500 or better) in 6 years.....

As much people are harping on Trubisky for needing pieces around him to be good, that is basically Carr's career.

He puts up good numbers but they really don't equate to wins.

I think he would be an incremental upgrade over Trubisky, but with less ceiling......that maybe what Pace and Nagy need to save their job.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The year that the Raiders had a winning record with Carr was the only year they had a top ten rushing attack....

In Carr's defense he has had average to sub average defenses, but that probably helped his passing stats...his QBR, which to a degree reflects whether or not he was padding his stats, hasn't been all that great.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Carr is much better than Trubisky. Carr has had mostly poor teams around him, very bad defenses.
Raiders' scoring defense ranks since Carr came into the league:
32, 22, 20, 20, 32, 24

Yards given up has also been in the 20s every year except for 2019, which was 18. They've always had a bottom 10 defense since he's been there.

This isn't an end-all stat, obviously, and i don't think Carr is the type of player that can carry a team. But I think if the Bears D is as good as it was last year or 18, you can win lots of games with Carr and average talent around him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
James Jones: Chicago Bears would become 'Super Bowl contenders' with quarterback Derek Carr

Make it happen Pace!

Did anyone read the 18 reactions to this James Jones post?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not for bringing Carr here. Marriota yes ( he's more talented,IMO). If Carr were to come here, he should have to
battle Mitch for the starting job. What we don't need is a replay of the "cutler syndrome" . Just hand the Qb position over and hope for the best.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm checking out the Raider MB's....just like I did with the cutler on the Broncos MB yrs ago.
The word from the Rada' fans on Carr, some fans there have referred to him as female genitalia.
The Raider MB's refer Carr as>>>>> Carrbage .........not good. Stay tuned.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
All it will really do is help Nagy "hide" Trubisky. Kind of like John Fox did in 2017 when Howard/Cohen rushed for just under 1500 yards.

Trubisky threw for seven TDs and the Bears had another last place finish. Sounds like a winning recipe.

#itstheQBstupid

You're not allowed to call anyone stupid if you think our only issue on offense was our QB.

#itstheQBOLTEHCRBstupid

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Carr has put up good numbers but I've never heard anyone confuse him with a superbowl qb. He had his best year in 19 with the best Oline he's had in Oakland. I just don't see him getting better behind what passes for Chicago's line.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carr was throwing to a lot of very open receivers this year.

His aggressiveness rating was second lowest in the league

He also threw some short ass passes......

Remember how short Trubisky was throwing short passes? Trubisky's average completed air yards was 5.1 good for 6th lowest in the league with a qualifier of at least 200 passes......Carr was second shortest if you can believe at 4.9 complete air yards. He was also 2nd shortest in intended air yards.

Carr was also 3rd shortest yards to sticks...that means most of passes were well before the first down marker.....

If I had to guess Carr was a huge benefactor from YAC to open receivers.

edit: Darren Waller was his top target and 8th in the league in YAC

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're not allowed to call anyone stupid if you think our only issue on offense was our QB.

Meh.

I have posted many times that I don't think QB is the only thing wrong with the offense, it is just the largest thing wrong.

In order of largest impact of suckatude:

QB
OL
NAGY
TE
RB
WR

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
So I guess we aren't agreeing to disagree.

Your premise is that when nickel and dime are on the field, no passes can be thrown and the smart move is always to run. That's not true. This isn't Tecmo Bowl.

Mitch cannot read pre-snap/ take advantage of open spots in the nickel/dime zones and the D knows it. They do not need extra S help deep and all can stay up and crash the RB if and when Mitch hands it off.

Everything you say is true but off and missing something.

Anyone who looks at the Bears pass game and blames it on the run when Mitch cannot gain more than 5 YPA consistently and finished last in YPA for starters and blames the RBs is trying too hard to do what, I don't even know.

Bears faced basic zones all year long and could not execute ...

The OL coach was fired for the OL's failures at running and pass blocking as well as the OC but Nagy was not fired.

This isn't rocket science indeed. (Seriously though, you may be right in that Mitch may start reading and hitting open spots better but your position is not logically unassailable and obvious. )

Can't wait for FA. We will see if Pace feels like running game needs overhauled or if he feels like a better QB needs to come and beat Mitch out.

I fear Pace will go the way you think and the Bears will suffer for it.

On the post you quoted modo he said: the Bears could not run the ball consistently enough in ideal running situations.

And your response to that is the bolded above???? Are you shitting me???? Literally putting words into people's mouths.