BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they need a running game. they aren't winning shit without one.

Correct. This is fact even if Tom Brady hops on for a run at a ring with a different logo on it.

Unfort. Carr will likely cost more than Bears can or should pay...unless Gruden is ga-ga for another QB and makes a stupid play. That said, Pace could just mortgage more future picks. ?‍♂️ ?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would be happy with Derek Carr + fixing the OL, TEs, running game, playcalling, adding another WR, etc. It has to be all of that. And could we do that and still trade for Derek Carr? Ehhhhhh, probably not.

As much as people think we were a QB away from winning the Super Bowl, we were not.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Oh, the 19th ranked Giants?

7 out of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs... GTFO

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
IDK much about Carr but this running game narrative is misguided. It sucked last year. It was not great the year before. If it was closer to top ten, we'd be in the playoffs and a not-laughable contender.

But the pieces in order to make a top ten running game need a TON of resources that we don't have.

QB sucked last year. It was not great the year before. If it was closer to top ten, we'd be in the playoffs and not completely a laughable contender.

All those who say "There is no QB out there we can get that gets us better enough to win more that is within our cap space" may be correct. How the hell would I know? I'm just a guy watching the world turn.

But if any of those SAME posters clamor for more O-line, FB, TE, running schemes and/or RBs, and do not ALSO fall into the cap space issues and the same uncertainty as to getting us better enough to win more, they confuse me.

TL;DR - I saw more issues with the run due to scheme/call/ blocking assignments / shifts that can be fixed with most personnel as is (G and possibly RB excepted) but the QB has more issues with personal development and a HC that seemed to work more all last year on proving to his boss that the QB doesn't have it than he did planning and adjusting to win more games.

Last edited:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Even though James Jones is a fanboy from his playing days with him I tend to agree.

Anyone that has 30 td 4000 yard potential would make the Bears Super Bowl contenders. And Carr has already achieved those marks.

Liked Posts:
James Jones: Chicago Bears would become 'Super Bowl contenders' with quarterback Derek Carr

Make it happen Pace!

Trading for Carr IS the only move for a QB outside of the draft that I fully support, & possibly even like more than any other feasible option. I usually see trading for a QB as being suckerd into paying for another teams QB problems. Not with Carr though, & for multiple reasons.

I stongly believe the Bears would be as tough to beat as ANY franchise in this league if they could pull of a reasonable trade for Carr that doesnt cripple the remaining draft capitol the Bears have to build around him.

If the Bears had Carr & were to add a legit TE in FA too, then focus on an OG, TE, WR in the draft with their remaining early picks then HOLY F$%K look out for this Bears team.

I think that Carr gets underappreciated for the bulk of his play that isnt eye popping outside of his rookie season & 2019 stats. Yes Carr has some basic stats but fot shits sake he had nothing outside of a standout WR who was traded away. Mack was traded away on the defense.

Nevermind the whole fiasco with his O line intentionally letting defenders tee off on him, which resulted in injury because he didnt want to be a part of the whole take a knee distraction.

With even the weapons the Bears currently have it would give Carr significantly more options than he ever had in Oakland. Carr had a good TE & a solid rookie running game to work with last year & still performed beyond what I believe a contender with a balanced roster would need to win it all, let alone be an annual postseason regularity.

Beyond what the Bears have now, if you added another pass catching TE to take some of the targets of Burton, another talented WR with speed & standout YAC ability, & a good pass catching RG to help compensate for Massies struggles in Pass Protect, IMO Carr would have a field day with this this team. Let alone with any defensive depth/upgrades added also.

I do still think that Carr still has significant statistical upside to him even at the age of 28. This isnt like waiting 8 years for Cutler to breakthrough, only for him to flop when Emery STACKED a loaded offense around him. Carr has proven that he can toss up a very efficient 4000 yard season with few weapons around him, or even inexperienced weapons around him in rookie seasons.

Unlike Mitch, Carr can process 3 reads & hit the open man with regularity, & process 4 & 5 in an empty set depending on how much time he gets. Mitch unfortunately, gets a very dumbfounded look in his eyes when trying to process 2 reads, let alone the base of 3 reads that coaches look for in young QBs. Im not trying to rag on Mitch, he IS working his ass off with a GREAT attitude in spite of being ripped to shreds. Its just a fact so far.

If the Bears had to I would offer the higher of the Bears second round, a late pick & Trubisky with shit eating grin from ear to ear, to get Carr & a 3rd round pick in return, & draft a young QB to develope behind Carr like a Jalen Hurts, Mcdonald, or Patterson type, etc.

I would bet the whole farm that Carr would absolutely thrive & naturally fit like a glove in Nagys pass happy crapshoot, that uses a shit ton of short to mid range pass patters to set up the P.A. deep. Carr would have been a great fit in Trestmans system as well had the Bears taken him in 2014.

I usually cant stand the idea of trading for another teams QB or even using FA to adress the position. But I understand & believe that Oakland is ALL IN on signing Brady in free agency for in large part the name recognition for when they move to Vegas.

Oaklands owner has to make that market switch work or that franchise is toast. Davis Jr. basically let it all ride at the betting table with the move to Vegas & construction of a new stadium also. They need as much BIGTIME name recognition as they can get.

IMO this is one of those rare trade or F.A. opportunities that doesnt come around alot. Carr may not be a top tier QB for any franchise in the league, of course. But for THIS current Bears franchise, the way its currently assembled, the addressable needs, & Nagys offensive system that fits Carrs talents as an efficient passer who libes by short & mid range pass plays.

I believe is the PERFECT situation for a Bears franchise desperately seeking QB stability, & a 28 year old QB who has been an upper second tier career QB talent, yet would plant both feet in top tier QB territory on the right team, & system.

Outside of the significantly positive effects I believe Carr would have with the Bears current & or upgraded offense, just imagine this DEFENSE with a couple of offseason tweaks to personnel & depth chart, with an offense that doesnt spend half or more of 60 play minutes going 3 & out. Theyd be TOUGH to beat, tough for anyone.

I would make this trade un my sleep of the cost isnt ridiculous. EASILY. Sorry for the long & winded post. But I REALLY would buy into this potential move for Carr.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
IDK much about Carr but this running game narrative is misguided. It sucked last year. It was not great the year before. If it was closer to top ten, we'd be in the playoffs and a not-laughable contender.

But the pieces in order to make a top ten running game need a TON of resources that we don't have.

QB sucked last year. It was not great the year before. If it was closer to top ten, we'd be in the playoffs and not completely a laughable contender.

All those who say "There is no QB out there we can get that gets us better enough to win more that is within our cap space" may be correct. How the hell would I know? I'm just a guy watching the world turn.

But if any of those SAME posters clamor for more O-line, FB, TE, running schemes and/or RBs, and do not ALSO fall into the cap space issues and the same uncertainty as to getting us better enough to win more, they confuse me.

TL;DR - I saw more issues with the run due to scheme/call/ blocking assignments / shifts that can be fixed with most personnel as is (G and possibly RB excepted) but the QB has more issues with personal development and a HC that seemed to work more all last year on proving to his boss that the QB doesn't have it than he did planning and adjusting to win more games.

There's a lot of dot connecting with the notion that fixing the running game will make Trubisky a better QB. Yes, our offense would be better. Every QB in the league would benefit from a better running game. But will it make Trubisky better at reading defenses, anticipation, or decision making? - NO.

A lot of posters just figured the "natural progression" would happen last year. It didn't. He got worse.

Now a lot of ppl just want him back to his '18 form. But are we sure that didn't have a lot to do with our cupcake schedule? That coaches didn't have tape on Nagy's system? That the defense got a lot of turnovers and short fields??

The truth may be that Trubisky never gets back to '18 form. That might have been his peak year.

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a lot of dot connecting with the notion that fixing the running game will make Trubisky a better QB. Yes, our offense would be better. Every QB in the league would benefit from a better running game. But will it make Trubisky better at reading defenses, anticipation, or decision making? - NO.

All it will really do is help Nagy "hide" Trubisky. Kind of like John Fox did in 2017 when Howard/Cohen rushed for just under 1500 yards.

Trubisky threw for seven TDs and the Bears had another last place finish. Sounds like a winning recipe.

#itstheQBstupid

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Actually it probably would, because it would make decision making easier in many instances. When you look at good rushing teams that use well-conceived play action as a core of their offense - I think about Gary Kubiak's offense with Houston - there are many no brainer decisions where the first read is obviously open because a linebacker got sucked into play action or a tight end leaked out against the flow of the play. Matt Schaub wasn't a very good QB, but he had a few really good years in that system, as many QBs would have.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are more than welcome to get Carr if they want.......they still need a running game. Carr won’t win shit without one. He is basically Cousins Lite.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are more than welcome to get Carr if they want.......they still need a running game. Carr won’t win shit without one. He is basically Cousins Lite.
While I agree the Bears need a running game you do know not having a decent QB lets the other team key in on the running game thus making it worse? Its all connected...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I agree the Bears need a running game you do know not having a decent QB lets the other team key in on the running game thus making it worse? Its all connected...

You seem to be part of the It's All Mitch's Fault Club for Men.

I seem to have to qualify everything unless I completely blame Trubisky for everything....

So I'll say everything I've said in a few sentences....

Trubisky performs better when he has run support, much better....

The Bears run game is one of the worst in the league....

Defenses did very little to respect the run and this cost the Bears, like it would most NFL teams....

Fix the run offense and you will get better QB performance....

Mitch still needs to get better at reading defenses....

.....yes it is all connected. That has been my point.