Jameson Taillon

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
How he managed to be # 3 starter for the Cubbies? IMHO he should be #5 pitcher in the rotation at best, as I recall he was below average pitcher no matter what club he pitched for. In his both starts he looked afful. Hopefully he is signed for one season only.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Lester and Stroman also had early season struggles in their first month.
Taillon changes his mechanics this off season in hopes the Cubs can make him better, so I'd give him plenty of time and not freak out about two starts.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Can we at least watch from the ledge?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Taillon was pretty solid in the best division in baseball so yeah I guess we should jump to conclusions after 2 starts when he's integrating a new pitch. Also he signed a 4 year contract, so I'd get use to him

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Taillon was pretty solid in the best division in baseball so yeah I guess we should jump to conclusions after 2 starts when he's integrating a new pitch. Also he signed a 4 year contract, so I'd get use to him
I didn't know this. Thanks.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The whole staff needs to be reworked....ok, I get they are still rebuilding and not yet a WS contender...I do expect improvement. Wesneski needs a trip to Iowa to work on things. He's got a great slider but it's useless if he can't throw strikes with it... he's dead if he has to live on his FB. As bad as he's looked, I think he could be a closer with some work.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The whole staff needs to be reworked....ok, I get they are still rebuilding and not yet a WS contender...I do expect improvement. Wesneski needs a trip to Iowa to work on things. He's got a great slider but it's useless if he can't throw strikes with it... he's dead if he has to live on his FB. As bad as he's looked, I think he could be a closer with some work.
I pretty much agree with your assessment, this is obviously a step in the process of developing the staff. I can't imagine any team competing at the highest levels without a scary staff. Looking at where were at as a team, and where our youngsters are at, if the Cubs are going to truly compete staring next season, they will have to do some fancy horse tradin' and dip deep and hard in the free agent market if they are going to have a starting staff next year ready to compete.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The starting pitching will come around. It’s been 11 games.

Do we think hoerner and Swanson are going to continue to hit .350?? No, the law of averages will hit them and they will have a tough stretch

The pitching will also hit the law of averages in a good way. The pitching was too good last season and it’s basically the same staff. They will be fine

Last edited:

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The starting pitching will come around. It’s been 11 games.

Do we think hoerner and Swanson are going to continue to hit .350?? No, the law of averages will hit them and they will have a tough stretch

The pitching will also hit the law of averages in a good way. The pitching was too good last season and it’s basically the same staff. They will be fine
You wrote "The starting pitching will come around. It’s been 11 games", I understand it takes a while for staffs to get rolling during the year, but I have no reason to believe this staff will be a top 10 staff by the end of the season. I am a believer in developing young pitching, I applaud the Cubs for giving young guys a chance to start ib the big leagues, but they are wildly inconsistent at this point. If one of the young guys can really put it together by the end of the season, I would be very happy. But, also looking back at the 2016 World Series, we don't win that without Lester Chapman, and Arrieta none of whom came up through the system.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You wrote "The starting pitching will come around. It’s been 11 games", I understand it takes a while for staffs to get rolling during the year, but I have no reason to believe this staff will be a top 10 staff by the end of the season. I am a believer in developing young pitching, I applaud the Cubs for giving young guys a chance to start ib the big leagues, but they are wildly inconsistent at this point. If one of the young guys can really put it together by the end of the season, I would be very happy. But, also looking back at the 2016 World Series, we don't win that without Lester Chapman, and Arrieta none of whom came up through the system.
A lot of these young guys weren’t drafted by the cubs either

And nobody is saying the rotation is World Series ready. But it also wouldn’t shock me if they finish top 10 in ERA when the season is finished either

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
A lot of these young guys weren’t drafted by the cubs either

And nobody is saying the rotation is World Series ready. But it also wouldn’t shock me if they finish top 10 in ERA when the season is finished either
I understand, point well taken. I am just a huge believer in the top three starting pitchers on a post season team being scary. Right now I see Stroman as being a potential scary pitcher, but not sure who else. The problem is consistency, it will be fun to watch to see what develops as the season progresses.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Someone please show me who said this is post season team.....hold on, my bad. MLB allows so many teams in these days, they just might slide into the post season with a near .500 record. It would make for a quick exit. They are a team of #3, 4 & 5 starters with no closer....although Steele might be a two in the making. But hey, it's baseball and strange shit has been known to happen.....I wouldn't bet on it though.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Someone please show me who said this is post season team.....hold on, my bad. MLB allows so many teams in these days, they just might slide into the post season with a near .500 record. It would make for a quick exit. They are a team of #3, 4 & 5 starters with no closer....although Steele might be a two in the making. But hey, it's baseball and strange shit has been known to happen.....I wouldn't bet on it though.
The path that the Cubs are on is very much like the 2016 team. A full down to the studs rebuild. If you remember the Cubs moved every player that had value (or even a pulse) in roughly 2011. Then they stunk it up bad for a couple of years, then moved up a bit, then in 2014 they won 73 games (we won 74 last year), the next three years they were in the NLCS. The reason I look at that schedule is because of contracts. In todays league it is hard to keep a team together to build a winner more than a couple of years. So, my thinking is that Jeb will be looking to really add quality free agents to the mix this next off-season to take a stab at the post season next year , and several years after. I expect, barring serious injury problems this season, the Cubs will be right around 81 wins, give or take a couple. Then next year high 80s and the post season. The complete tear down makes little sense unless going for it next year is the plan. Now, that is my bias, but I have been watching the team for 50 years, so I have seen a lot of hits and misses by the Cubs organization. Have a great day, I have to go to my Grandson's baseball game.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
2006 Cards say "Hello."

I'm not saying I expect the Cubs to do anything like that. Just pointing out strange things happen in sports.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
How about Jameson Taillon last night??

5 shutout innings against an elite LA Dodger squad

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
People talking about this pitching staff as if it is bad, but they have only continued their second half surge, when they were top 3.
I know it takes time for teams to get respect but this team is very close to getting that, and we should start considering that this staff is top ten.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It's of course way way way too early to really be worrying about this, but the Cubs are doing really well in the rate categories. The offense is 8th in OPS and SLG while the BA is 4th and OBP is 11th. They're are 7th in team ERA and 5th in WHIP.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's of course way way way too early to really be worrying about this, but the Cubs are doing really well in the rate categories. The offense is 8th in OPS and SLG while the BA is 4th and OBP is 11th. They're are 7th in team ERA and 5th in WHIP.
Those are certainly the metrics of a playoff caliber team…if they keep it up

At some point Hoerner and Swanson will hit a rough patch hitting and the cubs will really struggle to score runs when that time comes

Let’s just hope that that stretch doesn’t last too long. If those two guys end up around .300 or better, this team will be a playoff team. Especially if the closer spot settles in

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Hoyer screw this one up for sure. There is not a way Talion is worth contact he signed. Why Fulmer still on the roster?