Jameson Taillon

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Hoyer screw this one up for sure. There is not a way Talion is worth contact he signed. Why Fulmer still on the roster?

At some point he will pitch better. But the contract has been a disaster. Some will defend the deal because he's pitched ralatively well after being traded to the Yankees, but you don't give 68 million to a #4 pitcher (especially one with a history or inconsistenly and injuries). Crazy he hasn't thrown a pitch in the 5th innning yet. I read earlier today that the cubs are paying almost 30 million to Tallion, Fulmer, and Mancini whom have a combined negative WAR greater than -2. That is pathetic.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At some point he will pitch better. But the contract has been a disaster. Some will defend the deal because he's pitched ralatively well after being traded to the Yankees, but you don't give 68 million to a #4 pitcher (especially one with a history or inconsistenly and injuries). Crazy he hasn't thrown a pitch in the 5th innning yet. I read earlier today that the cubs are paying almost 30 million to Tallion, Fulmer, and Mancini whom have a combined negative WAR greater than -2. That is pathetic.
Don't believe the shit Hoyer is feeding Cub fans about being a competitive team this year. Hosmer, Bellinger, Mancini and Fulmer are guys he brought in on short deals hoping they catch fire early and then move them at the deadline. He only hit on one of the four....the other three are crap. He's still rebuilding but also trying to keep attendence up at the same time.....also not working.

I really think he thought Tallion could be a decent pitcher here....so far, he's swung and missed on that one as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kinda want a semi flush out. Brown is dominating AAA and a few months in the rotation might be the next step.

Losing Bellinger impacted the line up. We got wrapped up in Morel's hot string but over all the team functioned worse with out Bellinger in it.

So if there was a phase plan Jed should look at bringing up Brown around the ASG. Heuer should also be back from TJ and helping with the pen.

Brown 24 IP in Iowa 36 SO. So he is pitching at ace levels there. He is pushing the envelope. Heuer 8 games. results are as expected post tommy john 8.22 ERA but up to 99 MPH. Control is a issue in his rehab. 7 BB to 10 SO. So he has some tuning to do.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean he's been a bit unlucky. His FIP is 4.47 which sure you want more performance than that out of his contract but i wouldn't say he's completely unsalvageable. His k rate is up over career norms but so is his walk rate. I'd imagine his walk rate will fall over a larger sample. Biggest concern to me is his hr rate. I was hoping it would drop more to 2017/18 levels with a move back to the NL central. My thought was maybe yankee stadium hurt him in that regard but thus far it seems to be a bigger issue.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean he's been a bit unlucky. His FIP is 4.47 which sure you want more performance than that out of his contract but i wouldn't say he's completely unsalvageable. His k rate is up over career norms but so is his walk rate. I'd imagine his walk rate will fall over a larger sample. Biggest concern to me is his hr rate. I was hoping it would drop more to 2017/18 levels with a move back to the NL central. My thought was maybe yankee stadium hurt him in that regard but thus far it seems to be a bigger issue.

Promote Brown, Push Tallion into middle relief. Establish Alozay as the closer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What do ya mean? It's a sweeeet idea!!! Now they have a $68 million middle reliever. LOL

I do recall another great signing the Jed pulled. Edwin Jackson. Turned into a winning ticket.

But in all seriousness Brown would be making league min. Cut Fullmer and roll with it

If Tallion gets it together great. If not well there is no smart reason to absorb losses just because of a paycheck says so.

Some times winning and losing is a choice.

With Hendricks looking like the guy that he was a few years back. Steele again returning to form. Stroman being Stroman and Smyly looking like a genius move to resign. Bellenger returning.

Sometimes you have to choose to win games vs justify paychecks or develop.

The main weakness of the team has been the pen. Pushing Alzolay into the closer roll stabilizes the pen. Pushing Tallion into the middle innings stabilizes the pen.

Like I said. Tallion gets it together and looks like the guy they paid for. Dead subject.

If not. Well Brown is pitching at ace levels and if you want to develop something you want the talent backing it vs a fluke 1B that Jed went cheap on.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I do recall another great signing the Jed pulled. Edwin Jackson. Turned into a winning ticket.

But in all seriousness Brown would be making league min. Cut Fullmer and roll with it

If Tallion gets it together great. If not well there is no smart reason to absorb losses just because of a paycheck says so.

Some times winning and losing is a choice.

With Hendricks looking like the guy that he was a few years back. Steele again returning to form. Stroman being Stroman and Smyly looking like a genius move to resign. Bellenger returning.

Sometimes you have to choose to win games vs justify paychecks or develop.

The main weakness of the team has been the pen. Pushing Alzolay into the closer roll stabilizes the pen. Pushing Tallion into the middle innings stabilizes the pen.

Like I said. Tallion gets it together and looks like the guy they paid for. Dead subject.

If not. Well Brown is pitching at ace levels and if you want to develop something you want the talent backing it vs a fluke 1B that Jed went cheap on.
Hendricks had 1 okay start. Steele is 3 ip from maybe the worst start of his career. Taillon isn't going to the bullpen 2 months into the season. Jfc man

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Faq

May 31: LHP Justin Steele exits early with forearm issue
Steele departed Wednesday's outing against the Rays after throwing just 29 pitches over three perfect innings for the Cubs. The team announced that the starter was lifted from the contest due to left forearm tightness. The severity of the setback was not immediately clear.
Any time missed for the 27-year-old Steele is a tough blow for a club trying to find its footing in the division race. In 12 starts this season, Steele has posted a 6-2 record with a 2.65 ERA, 58 strikeouts and 16 walks over 68 innings, in which he has limited batters to a .228 average while posting a 1.06 WHIP.

May 30: RHP Hayden Wesneski recalled from Triple-A Iowa; RHP Michael Rucker optioned to Iowa
As the Cubs continue to search for stability in their bullpen, Wesneski returned from Iowa to offer another multi-inning option. Wesneski, 25, posted a 5.03 ERA in eight starts for Chicago earlier this season, and he had a 1.00 ERA in two outings with the I-Cubs before getting the call back to the Majors.
"We're trying to get the most talented pitchers we can down there," Cubs manager David Ross said. "He's a guy that's going to go out and do him, so I don't worry about the heart rate. And he's been in the bullpen before and in big, big moments. I think long-term, we see him as a starter, but right now, just a little help down there with a group that's scuffling a little bit."
Rucker's past four outings were multi-inning efforts to help the relief corps. The righty allowed 10 runs over 8 1/3 innings in that stretch, seeing his ERA climb to 5.48 from 2.45.
Said Ross: "Him sucking down some innings for us was, one, awesome. But [we're] just giving him a little bit of a break and getting Hayden up here."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hendricks had 1 okay start. Steele is 3 ip from maybe the worst start of his career. Taillon isn't going to the bullpen 2 months into the season. Jfc man

Might be worse now. I don't feel jolly about Hayden in the rotation as a back up.

But knowing Jed it will happen and most likely be a with in 40 man roster move to put Steele on the DL (Thompson)

As the wheel turns.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So here is my honest view point.

Morel has really worked on his lower half in his swing which has been generating his power. He is starting to look the part of a true power threat.

Down side is his walk and SO rate. They are near Javy levels. So that is a concern as a long term solution

Of who they have I love Bellenger. I would be estatic if he was given a long term deal.

If that happened it comes down to what do you do with PCA. Well things normally work themselves out. Nothing is a sure thing. He is not even at Iowa. The DH and 1B provide flexibility. Bellenger plays plus at 3 OF spots. Suzuki could rotate at DH to create a rotation.

The simple solution is Bellenger to 1B. But like I was saying before. The problem is not upon us yet.

Now I would be good with Bellenger at 1B when returning and letting Trach and Morel absorb OF PA and move Over rated back to Iowa. Few reasons. Knee issue. May want to ease him back. 1B is suffering production wise and that is not a position that justifies no production.

Next issue: pen. And it has sucked. I guess the plan was Hayden to do middle work. Well that is going to be adjusted for with Steele. And a blip on Steele means nothing. The body of work and what he did last year after learning how to attack with his cutter. One blip means nothing.

That said I feel good when all are healthy. Except Tallion. I have been giving him the benni for a bit but eventually you have to address it vs keep plugging him in for poor production.

Bad game is one thing. Bad body of work is another. It needs to be fixed or put into a situation that lessens the impact.

The last thing that you want is innings filler. That means one thing. Going through the motions.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
We have to remember that Taillon is being viewed as a 3 year deal not a 4 year one. THis year is a wash for him as he works on tweaking his delivery to install a sweeping slider. This is a good read and Taillons early season struggles should have been expected here.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
We have to remember that Taillon is being viewed as a 3 year deal not a 4 year one. THis year is a wash for him as he works on tweaking his delivery to install a sweeping slider. This is a good read and Taillons early season struggles should have been expected here.

They gave him $18 mill for a year to learn a pitch and get rocked? Interesting. I've mostly defended him, but this is a bad take.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well at least he was starting to look like the guy that they paid for. Lets see if it continuse.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We laugh at the $68 million long relief thing but it appears that may be his best use. His big bugaboo has been the 5th and while he he did go 1, 2, 3 in the 5th last night....they were all ropes. He didn't make it out of the 6th....only 75 pitches in total. But who knows? Ross knows the Cubs don't score much and with a team that scores more, Taillon might've gotten a longer leash.....it just feels like long relief to me.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
They gave him $18 mill for a year to learn a pitch and get rocked? Interesting. I've mostly defended him, but this is a bad take.
Yes, the intent was for him to get rocked, lol. Try to read things a bit better and not just respond without thinking.

Yes he has sucked, but that happens. HE will be better as the year goes on, he's too good not to. Plus we have seen this with many FA pitchers. Darvish, Lester, to name a few.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, the intent was for him to get rocked, lol. Try to read things a bit better and not just respond without thinking.

Yes he has sucked, but that happens. HE will be better as the year goes on, he's too good not to. Plus we have seen this with many FA pitchers. Darvish, Lester, to name a few.
It's got a paywall, dufus. Try posting something "everyone" can read if you want a proper reaction.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
It's got a paywall, dufus. Try posting something "everyone" can read if you want a proper reaction.
Which is why I said Taillon changed his delivery and added a new pitch. Which the entire article was about, lol.