Jaquan Brisker still hasnt signed a contract

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's basically 0% chance that the Bears cut Brisker in the middle of his rookie contract, if its true they are squabling over 100K garaunteed (not extra, just garaunteed) then thats a special kind of stupid. So much so that I have trouble believing its true, that would be dumber than normal even for the mighty Bears FO.

Not really. It only becomes a special kind of stupid if it results in missed time but he has not missed any time yet so whether he signs 2 days after the draft or 2 days before he reports to camp is of no consequence.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Not really. It only becomes a special kind of stupid if it results in missed time but he has not missed any time yet so whether he signs 2 days after the draft or 2 days before he reports to camp is of no consequence.
But at the same time quibbling over 100K garaunteed versus base salary on a contract you are ~100% going to take to its end has no benefit to the Bears. Theres no realistic way they cut this 2nd round pick after 2 years, I dont see the upside to the Bears here which is why I have trouble believing 100K garaunteed in year 3 of this contract is whats holding it up from being signed.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But at the same time quibbling over 100K garaunteed versus base salary on a contract you are ~100% going to take to its end has no benefit to the Bears. Theres no realistic way they cut this 2nd round pick after 2 years, I dont see the upside to the Bears here which is why I have trouble believing 100K garaunteed in year 3 of this contract is whats holding it up from being signed.

Well if that is the hold up probably just not wanting to establish a precedent no matter how small the risk. There have been guys cut after one year that were relatively high picks. OL Dude from Titans comes to mind. In any event, as long as he signs before camp then no biggie.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Well if that is the hold up probably just not wanting to establish a precedent no matter how small the risk. There have been guys cut after one year that were relatively high picks. OL Dude from Titans comes to mind. In any event, as long as he signs before camp then no biggie.
Do you mean Dez Fitzpatrick?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fuck Jerry Angelo doubled up in 2007. Dan Bazuin was a 2nd rounder that never played a down for the team or in the NFL and 3rd rounder Michael Okwo was cut after 1 season.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can’t blame Brisker for wanting every dime he can get. Medical bills aren’t cheap for the Bears rookie second rounders…

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't think this ends up being a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but Eberflus has made it pretty clear he does not like guys who don't show up. Doesn't matter if it's a business thing or a personal thing, he absolutely will think less of you if you aren't there.

Heck, Flus made that clear in the optional OTAs and minicamp events.

With Brisker being a rookie on top of that, he might have to immediately dig himself out of the doghouse, although who the hell really knows. We'll see.

BigJ52

Liked Posts:
Hall, Watson, McCreary, & Willis have all signed recently so hopefully that helps with Brisker. According to this looks like it's down to like 5-6 rookies still unsigned (purple info):

2022 NFL Draft Tracker

Canth

Liked Posts:
Any updates on this? The Bears really need to get this done.