Jaxon Smith-Njigba - Too early to hype him up?

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is realistically a bottom 10 squad, so we would be in prime position to take him. Him and fields already played together.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Let’s start hyping up Ohio States class of 2035.

Canth

Liked Posts:
If there is a 3 tech at the top of the draft that is worth it, bears are taking him

That or if there is OT. But yeah, I see Poles addressing the lines with priority next year.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That or if there is OT. But yeah, I see Poles addressing the lines with priority next year.
I see where you are coming from, but I kind of think Poles has an attitude about finding and developing later round OL talent

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear his name a LOT to the Bears, in the top ten.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I kinda think the Bears sign a OT in FA, maybe a WR if Metcalf becomes available then go DE or 3T in rd 1.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I see where you are coming from, but I kind of think Poles has an attitude about finding and developing later round OL talent

So many players can help this team at the top of the draft. Anderson, Carter, Smith, OL,... but Fields has to prove it to this new regime this season

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is realistically a bottom 10 squad, so we would be in prime position to take him. Him and fields already played together.

Him and Fields didn't really play together he had 49 passing yards before this season

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If Bears have a top ten pick and go WR over OT I'll be pissed. Bears have the cap space to get a WR in free agency.
Wouldn’t they also have the cap space to sign an OT?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wouldn’t they also have the cap space to sign an OT?

Yes but it's rare for a elite under 30 LT hits free agency. There may be some WR' hit free agency guys like Allen Robinson hit the market every year.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
I don’t take a receiver under 6’3 in the top ten unless they are uniquely talented like jamar chase. Jaxon looks good, but not special from a superstar nfl perspective. Sorry.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The FA market for receivers is due for some kind of correction in my opinion. A lot of fans are like well the Bears have the cap room so just go get one but if they tie up $20-30 mil/year in one guy for the next five years it gets harder to re-sign guys coming off their rookie deals (if they are worth keeping). But yeah they gotta sign 2/3 of WR, DT, and OT in free agency and then draft the other in the first round next year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Isn’t it also rare to find an elite franchise LT in the top 10? My point is, you go BPA…if that’s WR then so be it
You are comparing apples and oranges.

Apples is free agent franchise players under 30.

For a free agent franchise LT under thirty to be available, it will almost take a miracle while a free agent franchise WR being available is becoming almost commonplace.

Oranges is a blue chip player in the draft (or course, there won't be any franchise players in the draft because the draft is, at best, a coin toss and no players have played a single down.

Blue chip LT prospects are very rare and the drop off is usually steep between them and the next tier of LT prospects. There might be two per year (there were 3 in 2021) blue chip LTs. Blue chip WRs usually has 3 or more and the drop off between them and the next tier is not that great.

Now I agree with you that the Bears should go BPA in the 2023 draft.

Unless the Bears find their answer to the LT void this year, I believe that they will probably draft high enough for one of the blue chip LTs to be available to them. In that situation, they can still draft the last of the blue chip WRs in the second or one of the top WRs of the next tier. That would be a better result than going with the blue chip WR and then a lower tier (and much worse) LT in the second.

Now if the WR is godlike and the LT draft is weak at the top, the BPA would be solidly at WR and the Bears should then draft him, unless there is a godlike 3 tech.