Jay cutler facts through week 5

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I did not see the thread, but here are the facts-

The bears have scored 21 times this season.
14 offensive touchdowns, 1 defensive touchdown, and 6 field goals.

They have generated 11 turnovers.
one of those turnovers was returned for a touchdown.
The result is that there were 10 offensive drives started via turnover. that resulted in 5 scores, (all touchdowns i believe). that is a 50% scoring rate. or, if you prefer, 3.5 points per drive when the drive is begun with a turnover.

That leaves 46 offensive drives that began with punts or kickoffs. that resulted in 15 scoring drives... a little under 33% scoring rate Or, if you prefer, 1.76 points per drive when the drive begins with a punt or a kickoff.

sooooo..... it is pretty clear that the bears put up twice as many points on drives beginning as a result of a turnover as opposed to drives beginning with a punt or kickoff. Any questions?

You said HE does a good job when given a short field. I(Scoot) showed you that HE has only scored 4 of this 12 TD passes from a short field. Even Spartan backed off after shown that. If Spartan can back off it, then it is most certainly a bad point for you to try and make. If you want to say THE OFFENSE does good only when blah blah, then fine. Don't put that all on Cutler though like you were trying to do.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wonder why Scoot's post has been largely ignored?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or its irrelevent. 4 of Cutler's 12 TD passes were on possessions that began after a defensive turnover that placed the ball outside his own 40....so...does that mean Cutler is good? How am I supposed to respond to this fact? Serious question.

By not saying things like "He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields (Jets and 49ers), but the odds of him picking up the slack when the d starts to slip are not good." Its like the people who keep saying "Cutler force feeds Marshall, his BFF thats why he sucks". Yet, if you were to actually look it up, he has spread the ball evenly between the four weapons he has.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, the conclusion to draw is that "the odds of Cutler picking up the slack when the d starts to slip ARE GOOD, because 4 of Cutler's 12 TD passes were on possessions that began after a defensive turnover that placed the ball outside his own 40."

Bizarre.

So we should be saying Cutler sucks because he only scores on shorts fields when in reality only 33% of his scores come from short fields?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Please tell me more about how Jay Cutler sucks, is a bum, how you’ve lost confidence in him, etc.

Jay Cutler’s Production:

PASSING ATTEMPTS; 5th Most (More attempts, more risk)

PASSING YARDS; 1295 yards, 8th Best

TOUCHDOWNS; 12, Tied for 2nd Best

RUSHING YARDS; 90 yards, 6th Best

PASSER RATING; 94.9, 13th Best; Better than Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford and 15 other NFL Qb’s

INT’s; 6, 6 other QB’s with 6 INT’s including Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck

Fumbles; 2, 6 other QB’s with 2 Fumbles including Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Cam Newton.

A lot factored in to our losses
Let's just be realistic here

FUCKS GIVEN: 0

:dontcare:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You said HE does a good job when given a short field. I(Scoot) showed you that HE has only scored 4 of this 12 TD passes from a short field. Even Spartan backed off after shown that. If Spartan can back off it, then it is most certainly a bad point for you to try and make. If you want to say THE OFFENSE does good only when blah blah, then fine. Don't put that all on Cutler though like you were trying to do.

Actually, your Jay Cutler super defensive reflex seems to have kicked in.

You chose to read it as, and i quote, "he does a good job when he gets a short field".
The actual statement was " He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields"

Two entirely different points.

You then go on to bitch about your silly little argument, despite being shown that on drives given to him by a turnover, the offense scores at twice the rate as they do via punts and kickoffs.

Again- 5 out of 10 drives resulted in a score this year that began from a turnover.
15 out of 46 drives resulted in points when it started from a kickoff or a punt.

Is that not a clear separation in success rate?

However, I digress. My point is not that he is unable to cap off long drives. The point is that he thrives when the rest of the team is clicking, and tends to have some pretty bad errors when the pressure is on.
You chose to read it as "he only scores on short fields", and that error is on you.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Finally bothered to read the "debunking".... someone made the asinine claim that the majority of Cutlers touchdowns come from a short field.
not even remotely close to what I was saying.

BUT- Lets look at the facts.
Speaking of Cutler alone, as you wish to bring up as evidenced by your responses... He has capped off offensive drives 4 out of 10 times with a touchdown when the defense gets a takeaway to start the drive.
That is 40% success rate.

Now, that leaves 46 other offensive drives. Which he capped off with 8 touchdown passes.
That is a 17% success rate.

So- strictly speaking, it would appear that my statement "He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields" is absolutely, positively, 100% correct- or do you think a 17% success rate is better than a 40% success rate?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finally bothered to read the "debunking".... someone made the asinine claim that the majority of Cutlers touchdowns come from a short field.
not even remotely close to what I was saying.

BUT- Lets look at the facts.
Speaking of Cutler alone, as you wish to bring up as evidenced by your responses... He has capped off offensive drives 4 out of 10 times with a touchdown when the defense gets a takeaway to start the drive.
That is 40% success rate.

Now, that leaves 46 other offensive drives. Which he capped off with 8 touchdown passes.
That is a 17% success rate.

So- strictly speaking, it would appear that my statement "He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields" is absolutely, positively, 100% correct- or do you think a 17% success rate is better than a 40% success rate?

Apparently I mistook your initial post as the same crap people have been spewin all day about Cutler, my bad. I would also be willing to bet that those stats you posted about 40% scoring rate from TO and 17% scoring rate from offensive drives are fairly similar to other QB's. I don't have the time to look it up, but I will try tomorrow. I don't understand how pointing out that he scores after TO's is a bad thing?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Apparently I mistook your initial post as the same crap people have been spewin all day about Cutler, my bad. I would also be willing to bet that those stats you posted about 40% scoring rate from TO and 17% scoring rate from offensive drives are fairly similar to other QB's. I don't have the time to look it up, but I will try tomorrow. I don't understand how pointing out that he scores after TO's is a bad thing?

It's a bad thing because people who don't want Jay to win make it as such. When the Packers beat us last year it was because "Jay didn't capitalize on Rodger's turnovers" When Jay does score off of turnovers it's "Jay can only score on short drives". When that is debunked it's " Irrelevant because it just is". Do you see the pattern?

BearUp

Liked Posts:
Another Stat from ESPN:

"Jay Cutler went 1-of-5 with two interceptions on passes at least 15 yards downfield Sunday. Cutler's 23.3 completion percentage on those throws is second-lowest in the league."

Second cp lowest on throws 15+ yards.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another Stat from ESPN:

"Jay Cutler went 1-of-5 with two interceptions on passes at least 15 yards downfield Sunday. Cutler's 23.3 completion percentage on those throws is second-lowest in the league."

Second cp lowest on throws 15+ yards.
eew.jpg

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hope this isn't directed at me. If so, then please answer my earlier serious question: 4 of Cutler's 12 TD passes were on possessions that began after a defensive turnover that placed the ball outside his own 40....so...does that mean Cutler is good? How am I supposed to respond to this fact?

Is 4 of 12 TD passes due to short fields high for an NFL QB? Is it low? I honestly have no idea. If you can't explain the context and/or significance of this stat, then you can go back into your turtle shell and continue being insufferable.

It wasnt directed at you but those who will find a way to complain about Jay no matter what

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It's a bad thing because people who don't want Jay to win make it as such. When the Packers beat us last year it was because "Jay didn't capitalize on Rodger's turnovers" When Jay does score off of turnovers it's "Jay can only score on short drives". When that is debunked it's " Irrelevant because it just is". Do you see the pattern?

In short...you should capitalize off turnovers. It's often the deciding factor in a football game.

This is kinda an apples to oranges comparison

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope this isn't directed at me. If so, then please answer my earlier serious question: 4 of Cutler's 12 TD passes were on possessions that began after a defensive turnover that placed the ball outside his own 40....so...does that mean Cutler is good? How am I supposed to respond to this fact?

Is 4 of 12 TD passes due to short fields high for an NFL QB? Is it low? I honestly have no idea. If you can't explain the context and/or significance of this stat, then you can go back into your turtle shell and continue being insufferable.

The way I meant it was what I said earlier. I misread what Airtime was saying. I am saying that only 4 of his 13 TD's(1 run) came from the short field, so don't act like he can only score when given a short field. That is not what Airtime was saying, so I was wrong in my thinking he was saying what Spartan said in a different thread that was proven wrong. It's my fault for misreading what he was saying.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was this also not directed at me? I don't see how asking about the context and significance of a cited statistic can be called "complaining about Jay no matter what or saying "Its irrelevent because it is". This subforum would be humorous if the people in it weren't so petty.

People weren't even blaming Jay after last years game, he just creates these complexes.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way I meant it was what I said earlier. I misread what Airtime was saying. I am saying that only 4 of his 13 TD's(1 run) came from the short field, so don't act like he can only score when given a short field. That is not what Airtime was saying, so I was wrong in my thinking he was saying what Spartan said in a different thread that was proven wrong. It's my fault for misreading what he was saying.

It's because you come across as super defensive of Jay when most of us aren't.

I think the majority are now accepting that he is who he is.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's because you come across as super defensive of Jay when most of us aren't.

I think the majority are now accepting that he is who he is.

I am not super defensive of Jay. When people say things like Russell Wilson is better than Cutler, I say nothing because it is true. But when I see posters saying stupid things like "he is not a winner" "He don't care" blah blah, I point out the stupidity. I mistook something Airtime said, which was similar to what Spartan said and went that route. I should have realized that airtime is not the same type of poster as Spartan when it comes to Cutler, but I did not. My fault.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay is not a winner Willis, you agreed to that yesterday.

And yes, you're a little on the sensitive side when comes to your QB.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay is not a winner Willis, you agreed to that yesterday.

And yes, you're a little on the sensitive side when comes to your QB.

I have never said he is not a "winner". I said he is not in the same category as Rodgers, Brees, Manning, or Brady. "Winner" is a team thing.