Jay cutler facts through week 5

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Please tell me more about how Jay Cutler sucks, is a bum, how you’ve lost confidence in him, etc.

Jay Cutler’s Production:

PASSING ATTEMPTS; 5th Most (More attempts, more risk)

PASSING YARDS; 1295 yards, 8th Best

TOUCHDOWNS; 12, Tied for 2nd Best

RUSHING YARDS; 90 yards, 6th Best

PASSER RATING; 94.9, 13th Best; Better than Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford and 15 other NFL Qb’s

INT’s; 6, 6 other QB’s with 6 INT’s including Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck

Fumbles; 2, 6 other QB’s with 2 Fumbles including Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Cam Newton.

A lot factored in to our losses
Let's just be realistic here

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This thread will be bombarded with hate. Also passer rating no longer matters.

I do understand peoples frustrations for the timing on Jay's picks and the lack of clutch he has shown throughout his career

Edit: Not career I mean this year

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah but his int's were backbackers that came in key moments

I'm willing to bet that if you went back and watched those others QB's tied with his INT total, theirs would have been as well. Dumber argument than "Cutler is not a winner".

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I'm with ya! Our receivers aren't getting open like they did last year. We now have a dunk and dunk offrense since the bears aren't taking chances down field and also becuase teams are playing zone. Jay has been great outside of 3 bad Ints. How about we run more and give some different looks. Get those soft Zones something to think about.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm with ya! Our receivers aren't getting open like they did last year. We now have a dunk and dunk offrense since the bears aren't taking chances down field and also becuase teams are playing zone. Jay has been great outside of 3 bad Ints. How about we run more and give some different looks. Get those soft Zones something to think about.

You mean 6 bad INTs

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This thread will be bombarded with hate. Also passer rating no longer matters.

I do understand peoples frustrations for the timing on Jay's picks and the lack of clutch he has shown throughout his career

Edit: Not career I mean this year

You forgot to dislike me the past couple days bro...

Newblood

Liked Posts:

I agree with your overall sentiment, but the Bears have faced some good run stopping defenses early that have limited that option.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You forgot to dislike me the past couple days bro...

I found a new target. A poster who called me ugly. I would take being called several racial slurs over being called ugly

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I found a new target. A poster who called me ugly. I would take being called several racial slurs over being called ugly

who is it? I will dislike as well. You are beautiful to me PIB.

Also, what happened to your boy Bearsbud?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get how his stats once again look middle of the road, dare I say pretty? But...if you have two eyes you should be seeing the same thing most of us are seeing.

HE STINKS!

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Please tell me more about how Jay Cutler sucks, is a bum, how you’ve lost confidence in him, etc.

Jay Cutler’s Production:

PASSING ATTEMPTS; 5th Most (More attempts, more risk)

PASSING YARDS; 1295 yards, 8th Best

TOUCHDOWNS; 12, Tied for 2nd Best

RUSHING YARDS; 90 yards, 6th Best

PASSER RATING; 94.9, 13th Best; Better than Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford and 15 other NFL Qb’s

INT’s; 6, 6 other QB’s with 6 INT’s including Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck

Fumbles; 2, 6 other QB’s with 2 Fumbles including Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Cam Newton.

A lot factored in to our losses
Let's just be realistic here

He is having a roughly average year for his career- and I have never had much faith in him.

The good this year- pretty fine td %... he is 5th in td percentage among the 17 guys who have started 5 games thus far.
he is also tied for 5th in completion percentage among the 17 guys who have started 5 games.

The Bad- He is tied for 12th in YPA among the 17 guys who have started 5 games so far... and he has superior WRs, TE, and RB to target.
He is tied for 3rd worst in INT percentage among 5 game starters thus far... behind only Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick.

All in all, it is the same old story- He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields (Jets and 49ers), but the odds of him picking up the slack when the d starts to slip are not good.
Throw in a dash of bad decisions, and we have Jay as he always has been- a guy you can have a degree of success with if every other phase of the game is having a good day, and a guy that is likely to make a bad situation worse when the d begins to falter.

The pattern is crystal clear so far this year- The bears win when they win the turnover battle. They lose when they lose the turnover battle.

Eliminating mistakes is FAR more important than prolific passing yardage on prolific attempts.... just ask Stafford.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is having a roughly average year for his career- and I have never had much faith in him.

The good this year- pretty fine td %... he is 5th in td percentage among the 17 guys who have started 5 games thus far.
he is also tied for 5th in completion percentage among the 17 guys who have started 5 games.

The Bad- He is tied for 12th in YPA among the 17 guys who have started 5 games so far... and he has superior WRs, TE, and RB to target.
He is tied for 3rd worst in INT percentage among 5 game starters thus far... behind only Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick.

All in all, it is the same old story- He does a good job when the defense is generating turnovers and short fields (Jets and 49ers), but the odds of him picking up the slack when the d starts to slip are not good.
Throw in a dash of bad decisions, and we have Jay as he always has been- a guy you can have a degree of success with if every other phase of the game is having a good day, and a guy that is likely to make a bad situation worse when the d begins to falter.

The pattern is crystal clear so far this year- The bears win when they win the turnover battle. They lose when they lose the turnover battle.

Eliminating mistakes is FAR more important than prolific passing yardage on prolific attempts.... just ask Stafford.

Wasn't this just pointed out as wrong in another thread?

Edit: Credit to Scoot

Oooooo FACT CHECK TIME

All 12 of Cutler's TDs

1. 12 yard pass to Bennett. Drive started in the CHI 34 after a Buffalo punt that Holmes returned for -1 yards
2. 11 yard pass to Marshall. Drive started at the CHI 44 after Conte INT
3. 17 yard pass to Marshall. Drive started at the CHI 20 after SF kicked a FG and kicked a touchback
4. 5 yard pass to Marshall. Drive started at the CHI 20 after SF kicked a FG and kicked a touchdback.
5. 3 yard pass to Bennett. Drive started at the SFO 3 after Fuller INT
6. 3 yard pass to Marshall. Drive started at the SFO 42 after Fuller INT
7. 7 yard pass to Bennett. Drive started at the CHI 17 after a Jets punt.
8. 13 yard pass to Bennett. Drive started at the CHI 20 to begin the SECOND HALF
9. 6 yard pass to Marshall. Drive started at CHI 20 TO BEGIN THE GAME
10. 8 yard pass to Jeffrey. Drive started at the CHI 20 after a Green Bay Touchdown and kicked off for a touchback.
11. 10 yard pass to Forte. Drive started at the CAR 28 after a fumble recovery by Isiah Frey FUM
12. 25 yard pass to Jeffrey. Drive started at the CHI 32 after a Carolina punt.

Sorry, but that is not an overwhelming majority of success and TDs thrown due to short fields. Thats four TDs thrown by Cutler due to short fields from turnovers. By my calculations thats 33%. Last time I checked a majority was 51%.

Now, I hardly like Cutler, but at least get your facts straight.

Last edited:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wasn't this just pointed out as wrong in another thread?

Edit: Credit to Scoot

Well, I did not see the thread, but here are the facts-

The bears have scored 21 times this season.
14 offensive touchdowns, 1 defensive touchdown, and 6 field goals.

They have generated 11 turnovers.
one of those turnovers was returned for a touchdown.
The result is that there were 10 offensive drives started via turnover. that resulted in 5 scores, (all touchdowns i believe). that is a 50% scoring rate. or, if you prefer, 3.5 points per drive when the drive is begun with a turnover.

That leaves 46 offensive drives that began with punts or kickoffs. that resulted in 15 scoring drives... a little under 33% scoring rate Or, if you prefer, 1.76 points per drive when the drive begins with a punt or a kickoff.

sooooo..... it is pretty clear that the bears put up twice as many points on drives beginning as a result of a turnover as opposed to drives beginning with a punt or kickoff. Any questions?