Jaylon Johnson doesn`t play to the whistle

Ditka Rulz

Liked Posts:
I have noticed the last two games that Johnson shuts down his pusuit of the ball and player when he is beat or if a teamate is closer. I was wondering if anybody has seen this. To me it is alarming because he seems to do it on every play where he isnt the Bear closest to the ball. I would post video of it but idont know how to do it. He never gets involved in gang tackles or scrums. If the wr beats him he instantly goes to a jog and then walk.

The crappy thing is I think he is a awesome CB for coverage skills and tracking the ball. He is a sticky corner who looks like he could be a shut down corner. I am ok if he is not physical like fuller. I just never seen a player who shuts it down so early in a play. That is going to drive me nuts on missed out fumble recoveries or breakaways allowed by not finishing the play. Has anybody noticed this because i havent heard or seen anyone mention this? I really hope this is a rookie thing that he can be coached on. To me that should be corrected at a highschool level.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
We not ready for this talk.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He lacks physicality and frankly shies away from contact when he is in position to make a tackle.

I know no one wants to hear this with how good he has been in coverage but it has been consistent.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've definitely noticed. I'm pretty sure I saw Eddie Jackson rip him a little bit after he stopped pursuit up the sideline.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He seemed to get caught pouting a bit after a poor PI call and gave up a pass he would usually be on top of. He's been a VG cover guy so far, will get his head straight and figure out the rest.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Honestly, our guys haven't had that "swarm" mentality since Fangio took that HC job. Pagano has kept this defense a top unit, but they aren't playing at the top of their game.

That being said, I have noticed that JJ has loafed in the way you mention, but it's far from a recurring issue. Sometimes rookies have their head up their own ass. He's still playing outstanding for a rookie

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Honestly, our guys haven't had that "swarm" mentality since Fangio took that HC job. Pagano has kept this defense a top unit, but they aren't playing at the top of their game.

That being said, I have noticed that JJ has loafed in the way you mention, but it's far from a recurring issue. Sometimes rookies have their head up their own ass. He's still playing outstanding for a rookie
?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He will get stronger and more physical in the offseason, like most every rookie (especially without a real offseason program this past summer). He's not great at the catch point even when his body is in position but it's a fixable issue with upper body strength.

I doubt you will see these mental lapses next year - dude is a gamer. He is probably a little frustrated when he gives up a reception right now. He will get over that.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll cut him some slack as a rookie. Especially one stuck out there on an island playing better than I could imagine.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If this is happening then the fault lies with the coaches as there is no way it would be allowed under Fangio or Lovie. Dude would be running all practice until he passed out.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He lacks physicality and frankly shies away from contact when he is in position to make a tackle.

I know no one wants to hear this with how good he has been in coverage but it has been consistent.

Everyone said the same thing about Kyle Fuller ( I always thought he was good enough against the run, but he hits like safety now ) I don't disagree with JJ being soft. He needs to toughen up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Everyone said the same thing about Kyle Fuller ( I always thought he was good enough against the run, but he hits like safety now ) I don't disagree with JJ being soft. He needs to toughen up.

I disagree with Fuller. One of his biggest strengths coming out of Virginia Tech was his physicality in the run game and willingness to stick his nose in there.

Jaylon is much more finesse.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
JJ is coming off that major shoulder surgery. He probably was told to be smart on run support. duh

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with Fuller. One of his biggest strengths coming out of Virginia Tech was his physicality in the run game and willingness to stick his nose in there.

Let me clarify, by 'everyone' I meant bears fans lol

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
JJ is coming off that major shoulder surgery. He probably was told to be smart on run support. duh
Idk what you mean by be smart...but they wouldn't be playing him if they weren't confident he could go 100% and be physical in run support

Montucky

Liked Posts:

It didn't show up in the pros until year four, though.