Jaylon Johnson doesn`t play to the whistle

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It's funny, because I mentioned this exact same thing weeks ago during the Colts game. He had numerous plays where he got beat pretty bad, and then just started jogging after his man caught the ball and allowed other players to bring him down. He did it against Tampa when Mike Evans beat him deep on that ball down the sideline. He inexplicably gave up on the play before the ball even hit the ground. It was bizarre.

I don't understand it at all, and it's really concerning. Surely some of his coaches have talked to him about it, because the lack of effort shouldn't be tolerated. And don't get me wrong, I love 90% of the things he's doing out there. He just needs to play to the whistle. Unlike Fuller, he doesn't seem to like getting physical all that much.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
JJ has well exceeded expectations, which should be good enough for a fan base that many wanted to go a different route than CB in the 2nd round.

With that said, he is a rookie and is not perfect. With guys like Kyke Fuller and Eddie Jackson in the secondary, I expect them to lead by example. They are the ones that need to keep the rook accountable to maintaining good habits and discipline.

At the end of the day our secondary is getting the job done abd one of the top performing units in the NFL.

bareness

Liked Posts:
He lacks physicality and frankly shies away from contact when he is in position to make a tackle.

I know no one wants to hear this with how good he has been in coverage but it has been consistent.
It could be just protection of that shoulder so he maybe a little cautious.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have noticed the last two games that Johnson shuts down his pusuit of the ball and player when he is beat or if a teamate is closer. I was wondering if anybody has seen this. To me it is alarming because he seems to do it on every play where he isnt the Bear closest to the ball. I would post video of it but idont know how to do it. He never gets involved in gang tackles or scrums. If the wr beats him he instantly goes to a jog and then walk.

The crappy thing is I think he is a awesome CB for coverage skills and tracking the ball. He is a sticky corner who looks like he could be a shut down corner. I am ok if he is not physical like fuller. I just never seen a player who shuts it down so early in a play. That is going to drive me nuts on missed out fumble recoveries or breakaways allowed by not finishing the play. Has anybody noticed this because i havent heard or seen anyone mention this? I really hope this is a rookie thing that he can be coached on. To me that should be corrected at a highschool level.

I've literally been saying for years that cornerbacks, generally speaking, are contact shy defenders. You guys got used to seeing our cornerbacks being physical. This isn't the norm. For every Peanut Tillman and Kyle Fuller there are 10 Jaylon Johnsons.

The fact these are the only things you can come up with to complain about a rookie 2nd round cornerback...only amplifies how good he has been. Things like going for the ball or maintaining coverage longer are things that can be coached into him. Making him suddenly become a physical corner though, is about as likely as you winning the lottery.

Ditka Rulz

Liked Posts:
I've literally been saying for years that cornerbacks, generally speaking, are contact shy defenders. You guys got used to seeing our cornerbacks being physical. This isn't the norm. For every Peanut Tillman and Kyle Fuller there are 10 Jaylon Johnsons.

The fact these are the only things you can come up with to complain about a rookie 2nd round cornerback...only amplifies how good he has been. Things like going for the ball or maintaining coverage longer are things that can be coached into him. Making him suddenly become a physical corner though, is about as likely as you winning the lottery.

I agree 100% with everything you said. In my opinion with the way he has been playing if we selected him in the first round i would still be happy with his production. Him being a cover corner i am fine if he doesnt become a physical corner. Deion Sanders was one of the least physical corners but was a pure shutdown corner. I just wanted to point out something that to me is bizzare to watch when you compare his pursuit to other players. He is the exact opposite of high motor, plays through the whistle type of player in just one area of his game. I hope you are right that they can coach that out of him. That type of pursuit will bite him and this team this year if he continues it IMO.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree 100% with everything you said. In my opinion with the way he has been playing if we selected him in the first round i would still be happy with his production. Him being a cover corner i am fine if he doesnt become a physical corner. Deion Sanders was one of the least physical corners but was a pure shutdown corner. I just wanted to point out something that to me is bizzare to watch when you compare his pursuit to other players. He is the exact opposite of high motor, plays through the whistle type of player in just one area of his game. I hope you are right that they can coach that out of him. That type of pursuit will bite him and this team this year if he continues it IMO.

BTW Jaylon Johnson is very physical at the line of scrimmage. He isn't exactly a soft cornerback overall. You just aren't going to get the same tackling effort or spirit out of him as you see from Tillman, Fuller, Amukamara etc. etc. But any time he is asked to press at the line of scrimmage he is manhandling receivers.