Jaylon Johnson is top rookie CB

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Pace got it right with this one. Here’s hoping JJ can keep it up!

Johnson’s numbers are outstanding and well ahead of any cornerbacks chosen ahead of him. Turns out he was right to be insulted when he fell all the way to No. 50 overall.
The only person who saw this coming from Bears rookie cornerback Jaylon Johnson was Johnson. And it’s not bluster and bravado after the fact, either. Johnson told everyone he expected to be this good back at the draft and was open about how insulted he was that he slid to the second round.

He was right.

Johnson has been the best rookie cornerback in the NFL and a jackpot draft pick at No. 50 overall. Quarterbacks have thrown his way 45 times and completed only 47% with an 82.7 passer rating.

“My confidence was always there,” he said. “But it just makes you more hungry to see certain plays that you wanted to make. It’s about getting better and that hunger in me to just keep growing, so I can make more plays.”

Johnson has far outplayed the six cornerbacks — all first-rounders — chosen ahead of him. Just consider that the Bears are getting better production out of the 50th pick than the Lions are getting out of the No. 3 selection, Jeff Okudah from Ohio State.
Johnson is third in the NFL with nine pass breakups, trailing the Giants’ James Bradberry and the Buccaneers’ Carlton Davis by one. No other rookie has more than four. His opponent passer rating is about the same as what Mitch Trubisky put up last season, meaning he’s turning opposing quarterbacks into 2019 Trubisky every time they try him.

The Bears will take that every time.

By contrast, the other 10 cornerbacks chosen in the first three rounds have allowed an average passer rating of 112 — right around Patrick Mahomes’ career rating — and 70% completions.

That’s what the NFL usually does to rookie corners. Too bad for them.

“I’m not thinking about those people who were selected in front of me,” Johnson said. “But I definitely keep that hunger inside me, that there was clearly doubt, [and teams] didn’t take me. But there are plenty of factors that go into my motivation.”
The Bears drafted Johnson out of Utah thinking he could be a long-term answer at corner as well as an immediate starter opposite Kyle Fuller. General manager Ryan Pace looks like he chose wisely on both fronts, and Johnson’s quick success has more than offset losing starting candidate Artie Burns to a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Fuller, whose exceptional play certainly helps Johnson, is 28, and his contract essentially runs out after next season. For his part, Fuller has allowed 46% completions and a 59.2 rating.

“They’re playing great football,” said wide receiver Allen Robinson, who went one-on-one with them throughout the preseason. “The physicality that those guys bring to the game, how they challenge receivers . . . that’s tough on teams. They’re challenging every route.”
The combination of their lockdown coverage, safety Eddie Jackson patrolling the secondary and a world-class pass rush gives the Bears one of the NFL’s scariest pass defenses. They’re first in opponent completion percentage (57.1), second in passer rating (73.5) and third in yards allowed per pass (6.6).

In a secondary in which the other starters, counting Buster Skrine, have a combined 29 seasons of experience, Johnson has fit right in.

The only real lesson Johnson has learned so far is how finicky NFL officiating can be. After no penalties his first four games, he was flagged for three pass interferences (one was declined) and one illegal contact against the Buccaneers and Panthers.
In the Panthers game, a 23-16 victory in which the Bears held Teddy Bridgewater to a 50.4 passer rating and picked him twice, Johnson was hit with a 33-yard pass-interference penalty when covering wide receiver D.J. Moore at the goal line. The replay showed it was airtight coverage by Johnson that forced the incompletion.

“They make the calls,” Johnson said. “I wouldn’t redo it or change anything.”

Neither would the Bears.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace gets it right with many draft picks but lets just hope J.Johnson doesn't have any more games like last week or at least not as bad cause Carolina picked on him last week and had him out of his game. There should of been even more catches by WR's he was covering but DJ Moore had a few drops and think there was a Robby Anderson drop against JJ as well. Bad game for JJ but the rook is still balling out. He had some penalties against him as well. Hate to stick it to JJ in a positive JJ thread but just sayin it was a not so great week for him.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Pace gets it right with many draft picks but lets just hope J.Johnson doesn't have any more games like last week or at least not as bad cause Carolina picked on him last week and had him out of his game. There should of been even more catches by WR's he was covering but DJ Moore had a few drops and think there was a Robby Anderson drop against JJ as well. Bad game for JJ but the rook is still balling out. He had some penalties against him as well. Hate to stick it to JJ in a positive JJ thread but just sayin it was a not so great week for him.

he actually held up well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is a little bit too aggressive and getting beat deep more than one would like but so far it hasn't cost the Bears because the opposing team hasn't hit on many of those plays. Overall he has been a solid pick up and hopefully he can continue to develop.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can't believe i had to like a remy post. Welp there goes this day...LOL

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You guys have entirely different definitions of what getting beat means. Corners aren't beat unless that pass is completed. If you want to get ticky tacky and say oh the receiver was open but the quarterback couldn't get the ball to him go on ahead. But that doesn't equate to the cornerback getting burned. Especially since there are times where the defense sets up a cover 6 look for instance and upon the snap it appears as if a corner is beat but its actually baiting the offense into a sideline post route with two defenders over the top and the corner bracketing.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He will make mistakes, but he will also make some big plays. Looks like a future star.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
He is a little bit too aggressive and getting beat deep more than one would like but so far it hasn't cost the Bears because the opposing team hasn't hit on many of those plays. Overall he has been a solid pick up and hopefully he can continue to develop.
He needs to stay aggressive, he caused the first turnover by being. aggressive , unless the Bears ? draft a Deon Sanders clone. You better stick close to your guy.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, JJ looks and has been susceptible to a double move, but that's nitpicking. He's been ridiculously good for a rook CB. Great pick up!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Rookie CB's get targeted a lot in offensive gameplans. I remember there was an Aaron Rodgers interview (I think with McAfee?) and he spent a lot of time talking about it. Johnson is clearly going to be an absolute stud.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

He’s playing inside under coverage. The safety is responsible for the deep zone in cover 2. Yes JJ should take plays but wtf. Zero over the top help all season

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I thought he had a good game against the Panthers. To me, it showed that he does not get flustered. Made a play early, had some plays not go his away but he had a huge breakup on a slant later in the game. That shows me even more on how good this kid is. Potential to be the best CB in the NFL, that good.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I thought he had a good game against the Panthers. To me, it showed that he does not get flustered. Made a play early, had some plays not go his away but he had a huge breakup on a slant later in the game. That shows me even more on how good this kid is. Potential to be the best CB in the NFL, that good.

Yeah i saw that in every game but the Carolina game. Carolina picked on him quite a bit in that game.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not nitpicking, but having an elite pass rush greatly helps

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah i saw that in every game but the Carolina game. Carolina picked on him quite a bit in that game.
Still Bridgewaters worst game of the year. 4.3 air yards per attempt when you’re losing most the game is terrible... As in Nagy offense terrible.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not nitpicking, but having an elite pass rush greatly helps

To be honest our pass rush isn't elite. Our back 7 are covering at an elite level allowing the pass rush to hit home.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He’s playing inside under coverage. The safety is responsible for the deep zone in cover 2. Yes JJ should take plays but wtf. Zero over the top help all season

The Bears dont play primarily Cover 2. They play more single high safety coverages.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is simply wrong. Bears get a ton of pressure, more than any team I've watched this season except for Pittsburgh. If the Bears rush isn't elite then nobody's is this season.

Pitt has 77 pressures and Bears have 70.