Jet lag

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
First, my jet lag was legitimate. I felt fatigued the first two days. So it's not an exaggeration based on my personal experience. And certainly not bullshit or "hyperbolic" as you oddly put it. The fact you call it bullshit makes me believe you have never traveled internationally. If you have, then a significant time zone change clearly impacted you differently. Second, I never said the jet lag was the main or only reason they lost. I only expressed surprise that Nagy would put them in that position.

I said your first sentence was hyperbolic bulls**t. The sentence that said, "Anyone questioning the fatigue and other symptoms caused by jet lag has never been to Europe (or anywhere else with a significant time zone difference). " I didn't say your personal experience was bulls**t.

To me it sounds like some Bears fans are trying to make excuses for a bad outing.

*And I would wager I have traveled a heck of a lot more than you have.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Yeah, jet lag is real. The science behind it is strong. It's much worse eastbound than westbound, and particularly bad when you spend the night on the plane. Unfortunately, that's the way nearly all European-bound flights work. You board the plane in the US in the evening, arrive in Europe the following morning,and then spend the rest of the day in walking zoomie mode. If I understand correctly, that's what the Bears did. However, London is do-able from Chicago with a day-long flight, leaving in the morning and arriving in the UK in the late evening. If you fly during the day and don't spend the night on the plane, your circadian rhythm is less disturbed, with the impact of jet lag being less severe & shorter. The Bears could have flown during the day Thursday. It would have cost them their Thursday practice, but probably would have made their Friday practice less of a walking zoombie type of thing. Again, not the sole reason they weren't ready to play. But its sort of silly to maintain that it wasn't a factor...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You first sentence is just more hyperbolic bulls**t.

The flight and time change of course had an impact, but not as significant to be the cause of the butt kicking the Bears lines suffered. I have no problem with the fact Gruden and his team were far more motivated for this game, and had more to prove. They beat the Bears up, and knocked them off their laurels.

I don't see anyone saying it was the main reason the Bears lost. That was a strawman created by the OP.

I think the main point being made is that your coach is suppose to put you in the best position to win. Gruden did that with his plan to deal with jet lag and Nagy did not. His plan was fucking stupid. The talent gap in the league is too small for your coach to give the other team an edge in any way shape or form.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I said your first sentence was hyperbolic bulls**t. The sentence that said, "Anyone questioning the fatigue and other symptoms caused by jet lag has never been to Europe (or anywhere else with a significant time zone difference). " I didn't say your personal experience was bulls**t.

To me it sounds like some Bears fans are trying to make excuses for a bad outing.

I understand that. It seems like some people in this thread are disputing the reality of jet lag or downplaying it. I'm saying that for me it was legitimate (thus, not an exaggeration aka hyperbolic). IMO the belief that jet lag negatively impacted the team's performance shouldn't be outwardly dismissed.

I'm not saying you're wrong (about the team making excuses for a bad outing). But unnecessary putting your football team in a position to play a football game while potentially fatigued does not sound like a sound coaching decision.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't see anyone saying it was the main reason the Bears lost. That was a strawman created by the OP.

Hi remy. Continue reading.

And I do think many are exaggerating the jet lag. There are ways to combat it. It's 2019 after all.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hi remy. Continue reading.

And I do think many are exaggerating the jet lag. There are ways to combat it. It's 2019 after all.

You conceded it may have had an impact which is pretty much what everyone in here has said. If you can point to the post where someone said it was the main reason for the loss then let me know. Otherwise, the OP and you are the ones exaggerating as all anyone said is that it had an effect.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You conceded it may have had an impact which is pretty much what everyone in here has said. If you can point to the post where someone said it was the main reason for the loss then let me know. Otherwise, the OP and you are the ones exaggerating as all anyone said is that it had an effect.

I said "it seems some are making excuses for a bad outing", but I will never argue anything with you remy because I don't trust you are being genuine. Have a great night.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I said "it seems some are making excuses for a bad outing", but I will never argue anything with you remy because I don't trust you are being genuine. Have a great night.

No you suggested people said it was a significant cause then said people are exaggerating. I have not seen anyone make those claims hence why I suspect you have been misled by the OP's strawman.

Thread is only 3 pages long and most of us who disagreed with the OP simply informed him that Jet Lag was real not that it was the main reason for the loss. Yall are arguing with the OP's strawman not what actual posters have said.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I understand that. It seems like some people in this thread are disputing the reality of jet lag or downplaying it. I'm saying that for me it was legitimate (thus, not an exaggeration aka hyperbolic). IMO the belief that jet lag negatively impacted the team's performance shouldn't be outwardly dismissed.

I'm not saying you're wrong (about the team making excuses for a bad outing). But unnecessary putting your football team in a position to play a football game while potentially fatigued does not sound like a sound coaching decision.

To me it's just bash Nagy week.

And nice try @remydat . Not going to happen. Ever.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@remydat I suggest not bothering to direct any of your posts at me. I don't play your games, and I'm not here for your entertainment.

joo gets what I am saying, and i get what he is saying. I don't care what you have to say.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's stupid to say that jet lag played no factor in the game. It obviously does and it is always a big topic when talking about London games every year. It's honestly one of the reasons those games are some unpredictable. It doesn't excuse the Bears performance on Sunday, but it likely impacted the Bears more than the Raiders. Stupid decision by Nagy and/or Pace to not show up there with enough time to adjust. That's on them.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm impressed that he actually did some research in to how teams other than the Bears in their absolute most recent game have handled London travel arrangements. That's exactly what I was wondering about JetLagGate.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Can someone here explain to someone as dumb as me how the team was jet lagged when they played their games at the exact same time as at home, and very likely kept the same sleep/eat schedules as they were only in the UK for 2 days(on the front end)? It's different when you play those stupid ass 6:30am games, I get that, but we didn't. If it's an issue of "acclimation" then why don't we sleep in Denver for a week when playing there?

If you can successfully explain how that jives with the actual definition of jet-lag(changing one's sleep/eating schedule based on local time zone), then everyone must be right.

If you can't, then shut the fuck up about fucking jet lag. Sick of reading that as an excuse, if you want to blame Nagy then blame his play calling or something else, but stop talking about fucking jet lag because you obviously have no fucking idea what the term means.

I used to travel anywhere from 3 to 24 hours to golf tournaments on Monday to play a practice round on Tuesday and Wednesday and then t-s hopefully and I can say that I was never jet lagged but I was young and only with my caddie. He never mentioned it to me either nor did he have much choice.

I was also smart enough to take Benadryl or drink a lot on flights if I had to flip time zones. But that’s just me and not 53 players of which I’m sure a few would be jet lagged bc some people I know in the same occupation would be or so they’ve told me!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This thread delivers exactly what I need. Thank you all.

Can someone please tell me when Schlereth and Stockton got to London? I thought they sounded tired and lazy as well and I wonder if they caught a ride in on AirBears?

Thanks again, and keep up the top notch posting. I am watching from above you all on my podium.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@remydat I suggest not bothering to direct any of your posts at me. I don't play your games, and I'm not here for your entertainment.

joo gets what I am saying, and i get what he is saying. I don't care what you have to say.

Joo is saying the same thing damn near everyone who disagreed with the OP said. So it just seems you were duped by the OP into believing people said something they did not. Sorry if that upsets you.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm impressed that he actually did some research in to how teams other than the Bears in their absolute most recent game have handled London travel arrangements. That's exactly what I was wondering about JetLagGate.

An unusual article for that reason.

lol @remydat just f***ing lolscroll

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So actually, it would be a good thing if the Bears lost today because they were tired from an inconvenient week of travel. Because the alternative is far more unsettling.

dun dun dunnnnnnnnn

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
Plus, they are going back in time, going against the turn of the Earth. Jet Jag is real. I flew from Chicago to Germany non-stop and was ok for about 6 hours, then slept for 12 straight hours, woke up and it's 1 AM and wide awake, then by 7 the next evening I was dog tired again. It takes more than 48 hours to get on the right schedule.

Look the Monday after time changes here in the midwest are heart attack peak days. So just 1 hour for us here is hard, try jumping 6 hours back in time that took you 9 hours to jump there.

^This^